• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Non-LFC Transfer Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leicester fans on the radio call ins this afternoon seemingly not arsed about losing chilwell. Strange, always looks decent to me.
I think he's been rumoured to leave every summer since he signed, so they're probably just numb to it by now.

Just makes me more convinced that we're signing Thiago now. Other clubs in Europe would normally be all over a player of his caliber.

Last edited:
If we let Utd sign one of the best midfielders in the World when he is available and wants to come to us, FSG need fucking slapping.

We can surely get Thiago for less if we negotiate a fee..

How can other clubs like Leeds, Everton, and even Juventus possibly have more money to spend than us? After we’ve barely bought a bag of crisps in the last 3 - 4 transfer windows, and won almost everything there is to win? Can someone explain this to me so I that I can understand how our owners are not blowing our best chance in 30 years to build long term sustained success?

How can other clubs like Leeds, Everton, and even Juventus possibly have more money to spend than us? After we’ve barely bought a bag of crisps in the last 3 - 4 transfer windows, and won almost everything there is to win? Can someone explain this to me so I that I can understand how our owners are not blowing our best chance in 30 years to build long term sustained success?

Juve have won about 7 league titles in a row and negotiate their own TV deals, they have tons of cash to spend. Whether they have more than us is debatable.

Everton, Leeds, Spurs etc who are all signing players have nowhere near the amount of money we do and either they are talking huge gambles and teetering on the edge of bankruptcy or we are just pretending not to have money and using the covid situation as a cover.

I suspect its the latter as we spent nothing last year after one of the most profitable seasons in our history.

Juve have won about 7 league titles in a row and negotiate their own TV deals, they have tons of cash to spend. Whether they have more than us is debatable.

Everton, Leeds, Spurs etc who are all signing players have nowhere near the amount of money we do and either they are talking huge gambles and teetering on the edge of bankruptcy or we are just pretending not to have money and using the covid situation as a cover.

I suspect its the latter as we spent nothing last year after one of the most profitable seasons in our history.

I’d imagine it’s got a bit to do with what each club’s income is derived from.

Money from the Premier League is much more evenly spread across teams in the League - so for Leeds, there’s a massive uplift in revenue by just being promoted - which I think a large part of is guaranteed for a short time even if they’re relegated.

Variation on how much you can pull in from Europe is larger.

It’s not as if Everton are likely to see any more of a reduction in income from Europe any time soon - since it’s already at zero.

It’s probably also got something to do with spreading the cost of a transfer over the length of a contract while wages are accounted for in same year - we’re paying top wages for top players - I’m not sure the players Leeds etc, are signing, despite costing lots in a transfer fee, will command an high ongoing wage.

The players we’d want to sign, other than backup - would command top wages.

There’s evidence to suggest that wage expenditure, rather than transfer fee expenditure is a better measure of success - and in that regard we’re paying more than we ever have.

I mean - I can see the point of being prudent when too many revenue streams are uncertain and I can also understand the theory of investing heavily at a time when lots of other clubs are being prudent - one’s a riskier proposition and we have owners who don’t appear to be into taking many risks.

There’s evidence to suggest that wage expenditure, rather than transfer fee expenditure is a better measure of success - and in that regard we’re paying more than we ever have.

This is true, but it comes with a huge caveat, in that there is a time limit on the effectiveness of this strategy. Hanging onto your best performing players through increased wages/bonus payments is a less costly way to maintain a high performing team. However if you hang onto those players too long you end up with an old squad on massive wages, and as performance levels drop the player values start plumetting. So you get sting on both ends, massive wage bill for older players you cant shift, and gaps all over the squad that need to be plugged because those players are no longer performing. Its the position Barca are in now.

I understand that covid has completely disrupted the plans alot of clubs had drawn up, and not all clubs are run as responsibily as ours. However when you look at the age profile of our team I think its almost inevitable that our squads performance is going to start declining this season, if they havent already.

The scum's recent history is instructive. You don't need to have undergone a bad season - when someone mercurial like Klopp goes, we'll be paying top dollar for second tier talent who may or may not take the next step, just to keep up with the likes of City and Chelsea. It's critical we secure the best and brightest before 2024 and not a bunch of 29, 30 year olds, who may possibly be past their best then.

Journos like Maddock have been banging on about our much vaunted scouting. We've had a hard on for Werner, and we let him go. We've been linked with Havertz, and we let him go. We've scouted Aouar for five years, and we're not moving for him, when our biggest competitors City and Juventus are preoccupied with Messi. We're not signing these generational talents from the next clubs they've joined, not at the astronomical fees they'll command. What's the point of scouting then, if not to identify and obtain talent before they become unaffordable?

This is true, but it comes with a huge caveat, in that there is a time limit on the effectiveness of this strategy. Hanging onto your best performing players through increased wages/bonus payments is a less costly way to maintain a high performing team. However if you hang onto those players too long you end up with an old squad on massive wages, and as performance levels drop the player values start plumetting. So you get sting on both ends, massive wage bill for older players you cant shift, and gaps all over the squad that need to be plugged because those players are no longer performing. Its the position Barca are in now.

I understand that covid has completely disrupted the plans alot of clubs had drawn up, and not all clubs are run as responsibily as ours. However when you look at the age profile of our team I think its almost inevitable that our squads performance is going to start declining this season, if they havent already.

I agree mostly with that apart from the suggestion that performance is likely to drop.

There are only 3 players who are 30 - Milner, Adrian and Henderson, who turned 30 6 odd weeks ago.

Out of the current squad - only Wijnaldum will turn 30 before the end of the season about to start.

Van Dijk & Matip will turn 30 after this new campaign.

That’s not a squad that’s anywhere near past it’s peak or in need of replacing.

If it where the case - City should be looking at replacing Walker, Mahrez, de Bruyne and Gundogan, let alone Fernandinho, Otamendi and Agureo - they’re all already in their 30’s or will be so duringbthe coming season (or in de Bruyne’s case shortly after the season ends).

This isn’t a anywhere the same as Barca where Suarez, Messi, Busquets, Alba, Pique, Neto, Vidal, Rakitic are all 31+ already.

2 season ago we had one of the youngest average aged first teams - this should be the season they hit their prime.

The difficulties we face are more to do with tweaking our attacking strategies to combat teams that’s are wise to how we play and will set up to exploit our weaknesses.

We have a bunch of talented young players champing at the bit to play in this team - and while I’m not against bringing in some top quality players I think our need is being over egged.

It's boss being the only club in the top 4 not willing to spend money. Truly fucking special level of ineptitude

That’s not a squad that’s anywhere near past it’s peak or in need of replacing.

If it where the case - City should be looking at replacing Walker, Mahrez, de Bruyne and Gundogan, let alone Fernandinho, Otamendi and Agureo - they’re all already in their 30’s or will be so duringbthe coming season (or in de Bruyne’s case shortly after the season ends).

This isn’t a anywhere the same as Barca where Suarez, Messi, Busquets, Alba, Pique, Neto, Vidal, Rakitic are all 31+ already.

Thats the point City should be looking at replacing some of those players because they have already started to decline. They finished 18 points lower this season. Its not just age obviously there are other elements like fatigue which we also appear to have, and tactical stagnation.

La Liga is played at a slower pace so these issues will not be as obvious until players are older. Which is why Barca managed to be successful until recently.

Our plan for this season seems to be to try and wring one more season out of this team and hope City are declining faster than we are. It could work, but it seems an unnecessary gamble when one or two high quality players would make us heavy favourites to retain the league.

Why are chelsea thinking about selling Kante?
He's their best DM by miles ... and is necessary to protect their back line.
Are they just going to play 4-0-6 and hope to win games 5-4?

Probably need the money to help fund their spending spree

I've not followed them much but someone said he's not quite at the same level these days?

It looks like they're just going all out on a new cycle of players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom