• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match Norwich (H) FA Cup - Sun 14:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brizzle

Deposed match thread starter
This will cause debate, and we could see anything. For me we should rest anyone we want to play against Chelsea & Arsenal. I fully support sending the kids out

Kelleher
Bradley
Quansah
Youth CB
Chambers

Clark
McConnell
Gravy

Ellliot
Gakpo
Gordon

Something like this. Roll on the big guns if we need them. We have a cup final secured. The league is next priority. I’ll be raging if we go too full strength here and subsequently play without intensity against Chelsea or Arsenal.

We know already that we need to give Trent, Szobo & Robbo sub minutes to prepare for Arsenal.

This is a tough one to predict, but I don't think Klopp will start that many kids

There probably will be 5 kids (including kelleher). Maybe Clark, quansah and Gordon might start.

Kelleher
Bradley....quansah....vvd....Gomez
Mac
Clark.....gravy
Gordon...Nunez....diaz

Yeah those two huge matches come close together, they are the priority, and just after Norwich (last 8 games W3 D2 L3, inc a win and draw vs Rovers in the FAC).

Can't see Gordon, McConnell, Chambers or a Youth CB starting - in fact absolutely zero chance. Trent, Szobo and Robbo are going to be back and I expect them to be on the bench, at least, and get a run out. Note Chelsea have 9 injuries and Arsenal 7 (inc. Rice) at the moment.

I'd look at those players we'll want to start back to back vs CFC and AFC : Ali, Trent, Konate, VvD, Gomez (in this match give him one half and Konate or VvD a half), Mac, Szobo, Jones, Nunez, Jota & Diaz. Just give these guys as much time off/ rest as possible with just 20 mins or so to keep them match alert. Use Gordon, Gakpo and move Elliott forward for the last 30 mins or so.

Kelleher
Bradley
Quansah
Gomez
Robbo

Elliott
Clark
Gravy

Jota
Gakpo
Nunez

I don't know a lot of our kids so hard to call - but my general view is clear. Don't start a single player we intend to start against Chelsea or Arsenal. We will need fresh legs in the middle against Chelsea, and our full backs (whether it is Gomez, Bradley, Trent or Robbo) will be putting in a lot of yards at the Emirates I feel.

----------------------------Kelleher
Bradley - - - Quansah - - Konate - - - Gomez
----------Clarke - - - Jones - - - - Grav
-------Elliott - - - - Gakpo-------Doak/Gordon

Hopefully a few more of rotation players can go again after playing less minutes over the year. I agree with general the sentiment, though. We should be only focusing our full energy on one domestic cup a year unless we can bumble our way to the semis.

Last edited:
Other things in our favour, which I hadn't properly looked into.

Chelsea play Villa on Friday in the FA Cup. So they possibly can't afford to rotate, however it would give 2 days extra rest
Arsenal play Forest on Tuesday so they get a long rest before Forest, and a day extra rest before we play them

So we can probably afford to rotate a bit against Chelsea given they are a) playing similar number of games and b) are a bit worse than Arsenal.

I hope we look at these two games as preparation for Arsenal though - as that can make or break out title challenge.

I expect all fit first team players who didn't start yesterday to play so I can see sth like

Kelleher
Bradley Konate Quansah Beck?
Gravenberch Clark Jones
Elliott Gakpo Jota

Resting Macca, Gomez, Virgil, Diaz, Nunez should be a priority

This will cause debate, and we could see anything. For me we should rest anyone we want to play against Chelsea & Arsenal. I fully support sending the kids out

Kelleher
Bradley
Quansah
Youth CB
Chambers

Clark
McConnell
Gravy

Ellliot
Gakpo
Gordon

Something like this. Roll on the big guns if we need them. We have a cup final secured. The league is next priority. I’ll be raging if we go too full strength here and subsequently play without intensity against Chelsea or Arsenal.

We know already that we need to give Trent, Szobo & Robbo sub minutes to prepare for Arsenal.
Chambers is/has gone on loan. It’s all about the Beck now.

If you are going for one ‘senior’ midfielder the last one I’d choose would be Gravenberch

I’d go for

Kelleher
Bradders Gomez Quansah Robbo
Jones Clark Elliot
Gordon Jota Nunez

Alisson

Bradders
Quansah
Konate
Robbo

Macca
Szobo
Clark

Jota
Nunez
Gordon

Edit: apparently Trent isn't in team training so will probably miss the game. Szobo is ready.

Last edited:
Kelleher
Bradley - Quansah - Konate - Beck
Harvey - Mac A - Curtis
Jota - Gakpo - Nunez

Robbo, Trent, Slobbers, Gordon & Clark to get a run out.

Ali
Bradley Konate Quansah Beck
Grav Jones Nyoni
Gordon Gakpo Jota

Don't really rate Mcconnell or Clark, and it's a shame Doak isn't fit because I don't really rate Gordon either. Wouldn't be against TKD over Gordon tbh

Switched on SSN this morning (fuck knows why) and first thing I saw was Wagner being interviewed, caught the last question. "So you're excited to see Klopp again", "of course" as he answers with a big grin on his face.

Last edited:
I think it’ll be a strong team.

It’ll be strong but balanced.

Alisson might play, but does he really need to?

Robbo might start, but would it be better to bring him on early in the second half.

Same with Trent & Slobbers.

Quansah, Gakpo & Harvey need game time, Mac A’s just back from injury - Gravy & Curtis are rotating well.

Bradley is on form, as is Gomez but Gomez has played the most of our defenders of late, so if anyone should get a rest it’s him.

We’re rotating our forward line, so Diaz is probs due to sit this one out, with Jota starting & him or Nunez (or both) subbing off early 2nd half.

Clark must be close to getting a start and you’d have thought Beck should get a run out given we brought him back.

I hope we play Beck - otherwise, why the hell did we drag him back from loan??

Alisson

Trent (Bradley on 45)
Quansah
Konate
Beck (Robbo on 70)

Harvey (Clark on 45)
Curtis (Mac Allister on 60)
Gravenberch

Jota
Darwin (Szoboszlai on 45)
Gakpo

I expect all fit first team players who didn't start yesterday to play so I can see sth like

Kelleher
Bradley Konate Quansah Beck?
Gravenberch Clark Jones
Elliott Gakpo Jota

Resting Macca, Gomez, Virgil, Diaz, Nunez should be a priority
This should do it for sure. I want to see more of Beck - but can't help thinking that Klopp will use this game to get Robbo going again, but hopefully Beck starts and then Robbo comes on 2nd half at the 60min-70min mark of the game.

I don't know a lot of our kids so hard to call - but my general view is clear. Don't start a single player we intend to start against Chelsea or Arsenal. We will need fresh legs in the middle against Chelsea, and our full backs (whether it is Gomez, Bradley, Trent or Robbo) will be putting in a lot of yards at the Emirates I feel.
We simply don't have enough players for that. I'd imagine Klopp will carry on the rotation as he has throughout the season and it won't be anything like that team. Throwing 8-9 u21 players together doesn't do anything for development.

I want to see Jota and Darwin on the bench as the break glass option.

Midfield is tricky, ideally Macallister joins the break glass brigade and maybe even Jones but the depth isn’t there to allow it. The next best thing is giving them 60 and get them off.

That appearance from Clark looked better than the one before it, i agree he’s ready for a decent number of minutes on the pitch.

Since both Beck and Robertson need minutes, one idea could be to play Beck further forward in front of Robbo, in a 4-4-2 or something similar. Beck seems to have pretty good attacking skills and could be useful, whereas his defensive game probably still needs work (it took Robbo 6 months to learn what was required of him!).

Kelleher
Bradley Konate Quansah Robbo
Elliott Clark Jones Beck
Gakpo Jota

Would be nice if Szobo and Trent were in the squad for this one.
Chambers is/has gone on loan. It’s all about the Beck now.

Last edited:
Norwich have made it this far, whether by luck or team work, and I have this thing where I see you are more likely to pick up injuries chase a game, and bring on the big boys in the second half to try and win a game. So I would like to see a combination of Nunez Jota Diaz, Nunez,Gakpo Jota, up front form the start, Mac Jones Elliot, Bradley Konate Quansah Gomez...
Lets smash them first half. 3/4 nil then make mass changes, even if it is 3/4 nil 20+ mins in to the game
Lets get it done early

I can't believe that Joe Gomez is still only 26 years old.
He was around when the likes of Kolo, Sakho, Allen, Can etc were part of the squad.
He makes James Milner's time here look relatively short!

I can't believe that Joe Gomez is still only 26 years old.
He was around when the likes of Kolo, Sakho, Allen, Can etc were part of the squad.

he’s only a year older than Trent which feels mad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom