• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll N'Zogbia or Downing

Prefix for Poll Threads

Who'd you rather?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not disagreeing with you Sheik. I agree that we should put this behind and look forward to his performance as that is the only thing that matters now...

But...those teams weren't going to buy Downing either.

Ignoring Young, those 4 teams have not bought any wingers in this transfer window, have they?

Young is the same age as N'Zog - has performed more consistently than Downing and N'Zog over the last three or so years and he costed only close to 16mil (?) - so that seems a fair price to pay for a bit of consistency. So let's ignore this deal. So it probably is fair to assume that they are not in the market for wingers?

[quote author=kingjulian link=topic=45963.msg1370447#msg1370447 date=1311699058]
Not disagreeing with you Sheik. I agree that we should put this behind and look forward to his performance as that is the only thing that matters now...

Ignoring Young, those 4 teams have not bought any wingers in this transfer window, have they?

Young is the same age as N'Zog - has performed more consistently than Downing and N'Zog over the last three or so years and he costed only close to 16mil (?) - so that seems a fair price to pay for a bit of consistency. So let's ignore this deal. So it probably is fair to assume that they are not in the market for wingers?
[/quote]

arsenal enquired and man united allegedly had a late bid turned down. We were always his first choice

young is inconsistent too

[quote author=Shelvey link=topic=45963.msg1370445#msg1370445 date=1311698794]
[quote author=Sheik Yerbouti link=topic=45963.msg1370443#msg1370443 date=1311698595]
[quote author=Modo link=topic=45963.msg1370433#msg1370433 date=1311697502]
Stats favour Nzogbia. Well so does age, price and ability as well but hey, he's a cunt so we shouldnt sign him.
[/quote]

If he's such a bargain, why aren't Arsenal, Chelsea, Utd, City and Tottenham all over him?
Maybe, just maybe, Dalglish thinks he's not good enough or hasn't the right mentality.

Oh woe me, we're fucking shit at buying players, shit and wank, shitty wank. I'm depressed we're so shit.
I'd be so much better at buying players than the King. Look at all these bargains I have found, I'll just shove them in the team that should work.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Why do you want to prove that you are a better Liverpool fan than everyone else?

Merely questioning the soundness of a decision is valid. Everybody makes mistakes....including King Kenny.

[quote author=kingjulian link=topic=45963.msg1370447#msg1370447 date=1311699058]
[/quote]

Really? Young is more consistent than Downing? and I am guessing you think he is better too? why don't you go ask the Villa fans that watch him all the time. Also N'Zog has mostly been successful playing on the RW and cutting in which provides no WIDTH.

[quote author=kingjulian link=topic=45963.msg1370449#msg1370449 date=1311699206]
Why do you want to prove that you are a better Liverpool fan than everyone else?

Merely questioning the soundness of a decision is valid. Everybody makes mistakes....including King Kenny.
[/quote]

Because people in general are not questioning the soundness of a decision. They are bashing a signing and a Liverpool player (and by extension KK) to no end while pointing at any other player who could play on the wing no matter what there situation and saying that would be better.
I am not a better Liverpool fan than anyone else. I just feel this extreme pessimism and insulting of every step of progress we make is sad. When you see the posters like FFF, Sheik, Herr, Vlad, and JJ showing the optimism that should surround our recent upswing, you know it can't just be the years of disappointment getting to people.

[quote author=Fabio link=topic=45963.msg1370448#msg1370448 date=1311699159]

arsenal enquired and man united allegedly had a late bid turned down. We were always his first choice

[/quote]

May be it's true - but i had not seen those links from any verifiable source. We were linked with N'Zog, Mata and probably Sachez too at some point. We were the only club to actually make a bid for Downing. That much is true....amirite?

Young has been rated as the better player in the English media/English foot-ball set-up pretty much for nearly three years and even now. That's what i meant to say. I was not referring to game by game consistency. Many have argued here that Downing put in a significantly improved performance last year compared to his previous seasons in his career and that justifies his purchase. So i meant to say i'd put in more value for a player performing at a high level for three years (albeit with small windows of inconsistency (i really don't know about that, i'm taking your word)) compared to a player who has performed at that level for one year (Both Downing and N'Zog)......that's what i meant.

We have bought a decent player, who could very well suite us quite a bit more than other players. But it is not deniable at the same time that there was better value to be had out there. We have chosen this for reasons only known to Kenny/Comolli etc...i'm pretty sure, they didn't do this deal on a whim. There is every chance that this decision could turn out to be wrong - as much as any other decision. So there really is nothing to argue.....but i just find it baffling that there is a camp pointedly denying that there possible were better value deals available for us, and any evidence put forward to highlight that isn't true is shot down with a "I'm a better fan than you are" retort.

[quote author=Shelvey link=topic=45963.msg1370450#msg1370450 date=1311699610]
[/quote]

Really? Young is more consistent than Downing? and I am guessing you think he is better too? why don't you go ask the Villa fans that watch him all the time. Also N'Zog has mostly been successful playing on the RW and cutting in which provides no WIDTH.
[/quote]

Bro....i'm done debating this. No offence...

You can argue all day over which one is better between N'Zogbia and Downing, but there isn't the remotest bit of justification for arguing one is worth twice as much as the other.

We got raped by Villa.

I think Downing was worth 15 and N'zog worth 10. But the fact that Downing had 2 yrs left on his contract and Villa desperately didn't want to sell is somewhat explanatory of the problem.

I would like to point out that Wigan usually are extremely hard to negotiate with and given they knew Villa had 20m to spend there must be a reason they were willing to get rid of him for so cheap and so quickly.

i'm not going to comment on the signings we've made any more as the arguments for and against are always the same and they're always dull

Might stick to general chat until our next signing..

[quote author=Fabio link=topic=45963.msg1370468#msg1370468 date=1311701870]

i'm not going to comment on the signings we've made any more as the arguments for and against are always the same and they're always dull

Might stick to general chat until our next signing..
[/quote]

You and me....it's not healthy!

[quote author=Fabio link=topic=45963.msg1370448#msg1370448 date=1311699159]

[/quote]

[/quote]

i reckon arsenal weren't arsed and neither were man u. they both bought a left winger already. i also reckon young is a well better player than downing.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=45963.msg1370463#msg1370463 date=1311701544]
You can argue all day over which one is better between N'Zogbia and Downing, but there isn't the remotest bit of justification for arguing one is worth twice as much as the other.

We got raped by Villa.
[/quote]

The truth. Ruth.

[quote author=LarryHagman link=topic=45963.msg1370628#msg1370628 date=1311738002]
[quote author=Rosco link=topic=45963.msg1370463#msg1370463 date=1311701544]

We got raped by Villa.
[/quote]

The truth. Ruth.
[/quote]

Egg fucking zackley.

[quote author=Shelvey link=topic=45963.msg1370436#msg1370436 date=1311697746]
Seriously Modo, how many times have you watched him play? Whats his style of play? How will he improve Liverpool Football Club?
[/quote]

Several times and he always seems to harass our defenders. But I'm done discussing this, what's the point?
We bought Downing instead of Nzogbia, who I rate, hopefully Kenny proves me wrong.

[quote author=Sheik Yerbouti link=topic=45963.msg1370443#msg1370443 date=1311698595]
[quote author=Modo link=topic=45963.msg1370433#msg1370433 date=1311697502]
Stats favour Nzogbia. Well so does age, price and ability as well but hey, he's a cunt so we shouldnt sign him.
[/quote]

If he's such a bargain, why aren't Arsenal, Chelsea, Utd, City and Tottenham all over him?
Maybe, just maybe, Dalglish thinks he's not good enough or hasn't the right mentality.

Oh woe me, we're fucking shit at buying players, shit and wank, shitty wank. I'm depressed we're so shit.
[/quote]
It's always been about who I rate. I don't think your argument about who wanted him, is valid. It could be applied to a couple of our better players, doesn't make them shit.

[quote author=Shelvey link=topic=45963.msg1369943#msg1369943 date=1311611943]
Yep, a small Spaniard whose only ever played in La Liga who was being courted by the new Man City of Spanish Football with recent severe injury problems; perfectly okay risk according to you considering the necessity to get value for our investments this summer? Can you please try and wait to see how Downing performs in a Liverpool shirt before you continue to attack a Liverpool player. Honestly how much of Downing did you watch in a Villa shirt?
[/quote]

Just saw this...

You are right, Cazorla is just a crappy Injured Spaniard I mean considering the total lack of options Downing was our only viable signing, fait accompli, especially when we were up against the mighty Malaga.

And get of your high horse regarding "insulting" players, I wasn't insulting him per se, just pointing out that he isn't as good as another cheaper player, stop being so precious.

I didn't want Downing (or N'zogbia for that matter) before we were linked, didnt want him when we were linked at 12M nor at 15M and didn't want him when we bought him at 20 million, it was a ridiculous signing IMO and i'm entitled to it and no in honesty i didn't watch Downing much, but then why would anybody want too? I did watch Cazorla though and wanted us to sign him.

Is this a bad post then??

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=45963.msg1370625#msg1370625 date=1311737765]
'Which Europa-League standard player would you prefer?'
[/quote]

Ha!

Another thread that is unlikely to appear on the forums of the teams who finished above us.

'Fuck this Aguero cunt, let's raid Wigan and Aston Villa'

[quote author=Gerry_A_Trick link=topic=45963.msg1371390#msg1371390 date=1311857176]
Except maybe Uniteds...
[/quote]

Bahahaha, gotcha Ryan.

fallout_3_boom_headshot_BOOM_HEADSHOT-s745x576-54811.jpg

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=45963.msg1371388#msg1371388 date=1311856882]
Another thread that is unlikely to appear on the forums of the teams who finished above us.

[/quote]

Who did Utd. raid to get Valencia and Young?

[quote author=Boozer link=topic=45963.msg1371603#msg1371603 date=1311875297]

[/quote]

[/quote]

To be fair, they did raid those European giants Blackburn for their new centre half.

I can't believe people are still wittering on about this. Can this thread be locked fo being, well, shite.

Re: Re: N'Zogbia or Downing

[quote author=Sheik Yerbouti link=topic=45963.msg1371688#msg1371688 date=1311880287]

[/quote]

[/quote]

To be fair, they did raid those European giants Blackburn for their new centre half.
[/quote]

And the mighty Everton for their star striker

That's the good thing about football. You tend to buy players from worse teams, as you'll struggle to convince the good players to leave better teams.

[quote author=Sheik Yerbouti link=topic=45963.msg1371688#msg1371688 date=1311880287]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

:laugh: quite.

[quote author=Gerry_A_Trick link=topic=45963.msg1371390#msg1371390 date=1311857176]
Except maybe Uniteds...
[/quote]

As I've said seven hundred and fourty five times before, signing the likes of Ashley Young and Phil Jones (to go by your United example) works for them cos they've already got a squad full of quality and... they continually win titles.

We win fuck all and are adding midtable dross to the current squad of midtable dross we already have.

So there's quite the difference.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=45963.msg1371787#msg1371787 date=1311896718]
Except maybe Uniteds...
[/quote]

As I've said seven hundred and fourty five times before, signing the likes of Ashley Young and Phil Jones (to go by your United example) works for them cos they've already got a squad full of quality and... they continually win titles.

We win fuck all and are adding midtable dross to the current squad of midtable dross we already have.

So there's quite the difference.
[/quote]

I agree, its far more important we get things right, and its a lot more difficult to play catch up.

I just thought it was strange you said teams above us wouldn't be looking at players from teams like Wigan and Villa, when they quite clearly do.

I personally don't care where our players come from, I'm just happy we seem to have a plan, and we have people in place that I have trust in to get things right.

Answer = neither? :eek:

Aston Villa boss Alex McLeish hopes dropping Charles N’Zogbia as a punishment for ­infringement of club rules produces his best form.

French winger N’Zogbia, 25, joined Villa for £10million from Wigan in the summer.

But he is yet to repeat his fine Latics’ displays and was omitted from the squad. McLeish revealed N’Zogbia was axed for failing to turn up for treatment on an injury as required.

He said: “I hope he takes it on the chin. We have got club rules and we will adhere to them. I just want to see that boy improve on what he’s done before and Charles has got to be receptive and realise that I want to help him.

I’ve tried to encourage him at every turn, I’m not a tyrant.”

*Runs to hide after bumping up an old thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom