• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

O Captain! My Captain!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansern

Thinks he owns the place
Been wanting to highlight his start to the season and after reading these stats last night it deserves its own thread:

Van Dijk per game in 2019/20:
Aerial duel wins - 5
Dribbled past - 0.2
Tackles - 0.6
Interceptions - 1.1
Clearances - 4.3
Blocks - 0.4

Van Dijk per game in 2023/24 so far:
Aerial duel wins - 5
Dribbled past - 0.0
Tackles - 1.1
Interceptions - 1.9
Clearances - 5.7
Blocks - 1.3

I know some will point out that he's 32 and on the decline so he should be on the chopping block at some point. Yes, he has lost a few yards of his freakish pace thanks to getting older and the ACL injury. But he has been nothing but fantastic this season and back to his best. Still has more than enough pace to keep up with most forwards and his defending that has been top notch.

Have to say that he has also impressed as our captain so far. Very refreshing to hear his honest answers and he has set the bar high for everyone around him. Also seem to continue the tradition of creating an environment among the players that make every one happy and able to perform.
A new young LCB to rotate some games with him and who can fill in at left back has to be top of our list next summer for future planning. But I would have no issues with Virgil getting an contract extension.

Class is permanent and Virgil is one of the best CBs in the World. No doubt.

He’s certainly been better than any stage since his injury but still short of where he was pre.

Not a concern for the next 30 months imo.

339e1484-7db9-46ca-8f6b-6943c2f98bed.jpg

I felt last year he was still trying to play as if he was the prime athlete before his injury and was generally failing to adapt to his new limitations. I'm not sure if he had necessarily adapted his game this year, but he looks more aggressive, sharper and more motivated. I was concerned the captaincy could become burdonsome and an additional pressure, but to his credit it seems to have given him a new found spring in his step.

Pleasing to see.

I felt last year he was still trying to play as if he was the prime athlete before his injury and was generally failing to adapt to his new limitations. I'm not sure if he had necessarily adapted his game this year, but he looks more aggressive, sharper and more motivated. I was concerned the captaincy could become burdonsome and an additional pressure, but to his credit it seems to have given him a new found spring in his step.

Pleasing to see.

Agreed. Virgil at 80% of where he used to be was still as good as most out there anyway, and he does seem to be on the up again. I had the same concerns about him getting the armband and had wanted it to go to Robbo, so it's ironic that Virgil would probably have been wearing it now anyway. On we go.

Interesting that even fans of other top teams in the league acknowledges how good Virgil is this season, but his own worst critics are some (not many i in fairness) Liverpool fans.

It’s blatantly obvious that we’re cycling on the Red Bull this year after cycling off last year.

No-one told Thiago - so his heart exploded last season - which is why he’s currently dead.

Back to being the best CB in the World:

Van Dijk: "My injury was very serious, it is not surprising that you have to get to know your knee again, so to speak. "But now I don’t notice it anymore. I haven’t had to change much in my way of playing, I have the feeling that I can do everything again."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom