• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

O' Captain! My Captain!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILD

Very Well-Known
CEA-VBKVAAAyTlf.jpg

It will be a sad day on Saturday as Anfield says goodbye to arguably our greatest ever player. I grew up watching Gerrard. He made his debut when I was 13 years old and 17 years later he bows out.

Has anyone got a favourite Gerrard moment that flies a bit under the radar? The iconic clips of Olympiacos, Istanbul and Cardiff will be shown until the end of time but I'd like to dig out some more obscure clips that typify the type of player Gerrard was and why we loved him.

For example, I love his double tackle on Jagielka.

I always remember when he punched the air after clearing a ball off the line in his first derby. You knew then and there he was going to be a great character.

The Echo are running his Top 100 goals if anyone wants to saunter over there to kill an hour enjoying themselves with their hands above the waist.

@ILD
Enjoy the game mate.
I wish I didn't give you those tickets now.:cool:

I always remember when he punched the air after clearing a ball off the line in his first derby. You knew then and there he was going to be a great character.
Yep, amazing. I'm trying to find a clip.

Just because you have to go to that party on Saturday night?

Nope, not over that party at all. I've a number of things on soon and need the funds to cover them all. Flight are gone crazy expensive as is accommodation.

The tackle he made on Emerson of Juve in first 30 seconds of our home tie in the semi.

Set the tone for the match

Loads and loads. In recent memory the way he made Wilshere look like a child in the 5-1 win last season. Wilshere had a sneaky tackle in the first half and you could see Gerrard have a look after to double check who it was. Second half and Wilshere tries to run past Gerrard and Gerrard stands his ground and fucking empties him. Can't get on youtube in work here. His goal away to Marseille? stands out. 25 yards curled into top corner with minimal effort too. Amazing stuff.

Loads and loads. In recent memory the way he made Wilshere look like a child in the 5-1 win last season. Wilshere had a sneaky tackle in the first half and you could see Gerrard have a look after to double check who it was. Second half and Wilshere tries to run past Gerrard and Gerrard stands his ground and fucking empties him. Can't get on youtube in work here. His goal away to Marseille? stands out. 25 yards curled into top corner with minimal effort too. Amazing stuff.
Was going to post the Wilshere moment but it's very recent. I'm trying to think of old obscure moments.

Not obscure but LOVE the tongue out celebration in the derby. Fucking Hero.

Was going to post the Wilshere moment but it's very recent. I'm trying to think of old obscure moments.

Not obscure but LOVE the tongue out celebration in the derby. Fucking Hero.

I had been following talk about this prodigious talent we had in the youth ranks, and his first couple of appearances and first goal added to the excitement.

It was that goal against Everton that made me realise we had something really special. I remember the moment with total clarity.

I think Hamann said this was his favourite Gerrard moment. I can't find his tweet though. .

steven-gerrard-celebration500.jpg

Look at here on his debut.

tumblr_li0hjlIWgd1qcjmeqo1_500.jpg

Amazing now to think how frail he was perceived to be for a couple of years or so. There were even some who thought he might always be dogged by injuries. And then what a phenomenal powerhouse he became!

To think some say they'll be glad to see the back of him. What a fucking legend.

Depends how it's said. Personally I will never forget or not love gerrard of 2004-2010 but Gerrard of the last few years has been a hindrance more than a benefit, regardless of how good a pen he normally takes. Wish him all the best for his future ventures, which hopefully don't involve trying to get the managers job, at any point.

Depends how it's said. Personally I will never forget or not love gerrard of 2004-2010 but Gerrard of the last few years has been a hindrance more than a benefit, regardless of how good a pen he normally takes. Wish him all the best for his future ventures, which hopefully don't involve trying to get the managers job, at any point.

What makes you write him off as a manager already?

What makes you write him off as a manager already?
His not so great leadership skills as captain, a slightly petulant nature and what I perceive as a lack of passion (when compared to others) for the game at times.

Yes! That was fucking ace! To be fair to Wilshire he took it fairly well.

Upon further reflection, it's almost as if someone has taken a picture of Fergie, coloured his skin in orange and then given him Arsene Wenger's haircut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom