• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Other deals dependent on Carroll ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosco

Worse than Brendan

Brendan Rodgers has said Liverpool cannot afford big-money deals before Friday's transfer deadline unless Andy Carroll and other superfluous high-earners accept their Anfield careers are over.
The Liverpool manager wishes to sign Theo Walcott, despite Arsène Wenger's desire to hold on to the player, and has deals lined up for the remainder of this transfer window. Any permanent captures over the next 48 hours, however, rest on raising funds and reducing the wage bill from the existing squad, meaning one or more of Carroll, Charlie Adam, Joe Cole and Jay Spearing will have to go for Walcott or Fulham's Clint Dempsey to move to Merseyside.
Carroll's prospects of a return to Newcastle United are all but over, as Alan Pardew has confirmed, but West Ham United's offer of a £2m loan fee plus £17m should they avoid relegation this season remains on the table. West Ham are also prepared to pay Carroll's £80,000-a-week wage and could face competition from Aston Villa and Fulham. But the England international, as has been the case all summer, does not want to leave Liverpool for any of those three clubs and only a late change of heart will enable Rodgers to further his interest in Walcott, with whom he shares an agent. City may also move for the Arsenal winger depending on the outcome of Scott Sinclair's proposed transfer from Swansea.
Adam, who is reluctant to leave Anfield just 12-months into a four-year, £60,000-a-week contract, is considering an offer to join Stoke City, who are looking to off-load Wilson Palacios, on a permanent basis while Spearing is expected to leave on loan. Bolton and Wolverhampton Wanderers have held talks with Spearing. Liverpool have not received any official approaches for Cole, whose £100,000-a-week wage is unsurprisingly discouraging potential suitors.
Liverpool have again been linked with Daniel Sturridge but Rodgers, who is not planning a move for the Chelsea striker, admits the club are not in a position to make further signings outright after spending his budget on Fabio Borini, Joe Allen and Oussama Assaidi.
"No, not at this stage," he outlined. "I am aware of the links and it is great that those players want to come here but the reality is that we are not in a position to do deals like that. The club, in financial terms, is in need of repair so those players linked and for those sums linked, I don't have the ability to do that unfortunately. Certainly not in this transfer window anyway. That is the reality of it. Unfortunately it is going to take more than one window.
"The transition of the squad is probably going to take this window and through to next summer. This is an incredible club and so some players who come here, even if you want to move them on, are not going to just walk out of the door because of wages and other factors. It is going to take us a wee bit of time to build the squad that we want but, in the meantime, we just have to keep our heads down and work hard to get results."
Liverpool entertain Hearts in the second leg of the Europa League play-off on Thursday with Rodgers promising to field a stronger side than in the 1-0 win at Tynecastle last week. The Liverpool manager will be without Lucas Leiva for "two to three months" after receiving confirmation the influential midfielder tore a thigh muscle against Manchester City and has omitted Carroll, Adam and others as he pushes them towards the exit.
The manager added: "You don't need to be a rocket scientist to see that Andy has been a cover player for us. He has been excellent in terms of his attitude and his acceptance of where he is at but, for us as a football club, and I am talking generically here, I'm not sure we are in a position to have £35m players as third choice strikers or wingers who might be on £5m-£6m a year. I don't think the football club is in that position. This is the challenge that I have to work something but it is not going to be done overnight."

When you see the amount of players not contributing enough (or even at all) on top dollar, it does look like a complete mess.

Seriously though, I said this yesterday, it's like a mortgage chain, we could really shoot ourselves in the foot over this as Newcastle will leave it late in the day over Carroll to try to get a cheap deal.

Seriously though, I said this yesterday, it's like a mortgage chain, we could really shoot ourselves in the foot over this as Newcastle will leave it late in the day over Carroll to try to get a cheap deal.

I say no deal. For the reason that we will strengthen an opponent who will screw us over financially in the process and not actually have time to strengthen anyway. If we wanted him sold we should have done it properly and behind doors ages ago not now.

Another thing to note is that actually Andy looked a bit sharper and more dangerous as the year went on and had a pretty useful Euros, smashing his confidence about in the press like this morning just seems silly to me. Blaming him for the fact that the whole team played like fucking shit last season is beyond unfair, he was benched continually and rarely given a run, yet still managed to generate more impetus and excitement than a couple of others i could mention who were given a better chance.

I think it'll be interesting to see if Walcott signs his contract today, if he doesn't then I'm guessing something is amiss, as I'd imagine Arsenal and Wenger will be desperate to appease the fans.

I think it'll be interesting to see if Walcott signs his contract today, if he doesn't then I'm guessing something is amiss, as I'd imagine Arsenal and Wenger will be desperate to appease the fans.

They said yesterdy he wasn't signing, but that Wenger and him had a chat and had agreed to resolve the issue in the next few months.

They said yesterdy he wasn't signing, but that Wenger and him had a chat and had agreed to resolve the issue in the next few months.

Risky business, how long has he got left, 12 months? Looks like he's off then.

(soz for quiffing)

Risky line for the Arse to take. Could easily see them ending up with neither money nor player this time next year.

Walcot is a strange one, im not so sure that he is all pace and no brain tbh and he should be coming into his prime in the next few years. I quite like him as a player certainly a step up in quality to the wingers we already have .... through the middle maybe??

Not for me. He's always wanted to play through the middle but has never persuaded Wenger to give him an extended run there. I think he'd probably suit the right-hand side of Rodgers' front three quite well, but I wouldn't be keen on signing anyone specially for a particular position if he doesn't really want to play there.

Not for me. He's always wanted to play through the middle but has never persuaded Wenger to give him an extended run there. I think he'd probably suit the right-hand side of Rodgers' front three quite well, but I wouldn't be keen on signing anyone specially for a particular position if he doesn't really want to play there.

I think we've seen though that Rodgers encourages the three to interchange, to disrupt the back line, he might be up for that, rather than an out and out designated right hand role.

He's quick thats for sure.

Yeah but.... M'eh...

I am completely undecided on him, he is the anti-Downing in that regard at least.

Is it actually an integral part of the Rodgers system to put players on the opposite side of the pitch to allow them to come inside and shoot or just optional?

If it is important then we're over stocked with right footers to play on the left side - Borini, Raheem, Suarez, Assaidi, Pacheco. But it can't be a rigid policy Rodgers sticks to because we only have Downing to come in from the right, however for the sake of balance and having options within the squad we could do with some left footed forwards.

For that reason I don't think we're after Walcott, but Sturridge is a left footer...

Whatever happened to all this
'we have the resources to compete with anyone" quote by Tom Werner a while back...........I don't see much evidence of it based on the fact that we have to sell AC or anyone else to fund any new arrivals. I don't expect the owners to go as crazy as last year but surely they have to back their new manager financially

Whatever happened to all this
'we have the resources to compete with anyone" quote by Tom Werner a while back...........I don't see much evidence of it based on the fact that we have to sell AC or anyone else to fund any new arrivals. I don't expect the owners to go as crazy as last year but surely they have to back their new manager financially

Well maybe we did have a season or two back, but they allowed to spend £100m and look what happened, we now to payroll getting shut of the same players, which has more or less eaten into our transfer funds, plus the fact that the £100m spent didn't get us the CL football that the owners expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom