• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Our rivals this season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're underestimating Mourinho (possibly due to your evident dislike for the man), but as for Everton and Ancelotti, as impressive as the midfield of Allan, Doucoure and James looks on paper, I think it will be quite a while before all 3 are actually fit and ready to perform at their top capacity. James played in only 14 games in all competitions for Real Madrid last season and will surely need at least a few months to adapt to the pace and physicality of the Premier League. Allan has also endured an injury-plagued season at Napoli and will need to recover his best form from 2 seasons ago under Ancelotti in addition to adapting to the new country and league. They also have the talented DM Jean-Philippe Gbamin who missed the entire last season with an injury and probably won't be fit until winter. Doucoure is the only new midfielder who should be able to contribute right away, but it might be not until the 2nd half of the season or even next season before Everton's midfield settles into shape. Until then, Everton fans will have to make do with watching Sigurdsson and Tom Davies again.

You're letting your long suffering experience of our own past players cloud your judgement. At other clubs, players simply come back from an injury or arrive from overseas and shockingly don't forget how to play football.

City - still think that they will be the major rivals for the title, though I do agree there's a chance that the squad might have lost their trust in Pep a bit. I also think the exit of Fernandinho and Silva as leaders in the dressing room will hurt them. If they sign Koulibaly, that should really help them though.

United - United unfortunately will probably have the best attack in the league. Rashford and Martial have taken a step to the next level, Greenwood looks like a sensational talent. Bruno is a very good playmaker (albeit a bit overrated). I think van de Beek will be a good signing, and if they get Sancho, I can see them having the sort of season we had in 13/14. There's a chance they'll even muster up a title challenge, but you'd hope that their average defence and their average manager will be their undoing.

Spurs - They seem to be written off completely, but they've made a couple of smart under the radar signings. I think Mourinho will have them back contending for top 4, provided Kane stays fit.

Arsenal - Agree that they will be inconsistent, but a lot better than over the past few years. Top 4 contention for sure, but can't see them mounting a title challenge.

Chelsea - Massive task for Frank to integrate all those signings. I just can't see it happening this year.

I can't see us romping to the title like last season, but I do think there's a very good chance we win it. If we'd signed Werner, I think we'd have been clear favourites. That said, as long as Alisson, VVD, Trent and the front 3 remain fit throughout, we will mount a very good title defence. My only concern is that the front 3 is clearly losing effectiveness of late, and we haven't signed anyone to freshen the attack. Klopp will need to find a solution tactically, and hope that the likes of Minamino, Jones and Shaqiri contribute in a big way.[/QUOTE

You lost me at thinking Utd has the best forward line in the league.

Well, their forward line outscored ours last year. If they add Sancho, they're likely the most prolific.

I think it's as much about us as it is 'them'.

As much as we have the ability to to do similar to last season, I doubt we have the collective stamina.

City have a way deeper & bigger squad, they struggled after two massive point seasons, we're coming off the back of almost 200 points in two seasons, plus a tension filled 'break' followed by almost non stop football up to the start of this season, which will be massively compressed.

There's every chance we could see a drop off in physicality & that a drop in form will follow, plus a need to rotate more than normal will play havoc with the momentum Klopp's sides rely on so much.

Thankfully I think it's unlikely any side will romp away with it like city & ourselves have made the norm over the last few seasons, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if we look more like a cup side this season than a consistent league winning side.

I still think we had a completely different post lockdown regime than anyone else. We’ve had 2 mini-preseasons. That added with actually winning the title led to our drop off in performance levels. That makes me think we won’t have the third season burnout city had last season.

I have to question Martial – he is a talent, but does he have the mentality of a big-club #9? So far no evidence of that; no wonder Mourinho didn't trust him. The good thing about Van de Beek is that he gives Ole an option of playing a "diamond," which only requires 2 strikers, so they can keep producing when one of the 3 is not available or off form. Best attack in the league though? It's probably still City's.
Yeah, I should rephrase. Probably the best 'forward line' line in the league, especially if they add Sancho. I can see them being more creative as well with Bruno Fernandes being more settled, and the addition of van de Beek.

City are technically the best side in the league, with an abundance of technically brilliant and creative attacking mids and wingers. They'll probably score the most. That said, Aguero's age and fitness will concern them. For all their overwhelmingly good attacking play, they need his finishing.

With our attack, the biggest concern is that their statistical output is clearly reducing. A couple of years ago, they wreaked havoc in open spaces. But there isn't a team in Europe who makes that mistake with us anymore. They're of course too good to rendered completely blunt, but we need to find a way to make them as potent as they were before. I do think Minamino will help though.

The best way of course would be add another top quality pack attacker to give us something completely new to throw at teams.

I think you're underestimating Mourinho (possibly due to your evident dislike for the man), but as for Everton and Ancelotti, as impressive as the midfield of Allan, Doucoure and James looks on paper, I think it will be quite a while before all 3 are actually fit and ready to perform at their top capacity. James played in only 14 games in all competitions for Real Madrid last season and will surely need at least a few months to adapt to the pace and physicality of the Premier League. Allan has also endured an injury-plagued season at Napoli and will need to recover his best form from 2 seasons ago under Ancelotti in addition to adapting to the new country and league. They also have the talented DM Jean-Philippe Gbamin who missed the entire last season with an injury and probably won't be fit until winter. Doucoure is the only new midfielder who should be able to contribute right away, but it might be not until the 2nd half of the season or even next season before Everton's midfield settles into shape. Until then, Everton fans will have to make do with watching Sigurdsson and Tom Davies plod around the pitch again.
You assumed I dislike the man, but the actual fact is Mourinho is a manager that usually thrive when he took over a ready made super team. From Chelsea first and second stint, to Inter who was already champions of Italy before he arrived, to Real Madrid that housed the likes of Xabi Alonso and Ronaldo before he arrived. Have a look at him managing sub-parred players at United, and having to rebuild the entire squad, and see what happened there. He isn't the type that build teams or squad, he is the manager that takes already great player, meshed them up and make them play a winning formula. You think Spurs have that in them? I have my bet on Ancelotti's team being far better on the eye and able to mount some form of top 6 challenge if not 4th this coming season than Spurs and even United.

Well, their forward line outscored ours last year. If they add Sancho, they're likely the most prolific.

i am intrigued with this claim, so i check it out here https://www.worldfootball.net/goalgetter/eng-premier-league-2019-2020/.

martial, rashford and greenwood only scored 44 goals among them while salah, mane, firmino and origi scored 50. even if we take origi out, just to make it 3-3, our forward line still scored 46.

i don't know if you consider bruno fernandes with 8 goals as a forward. we still have ox with 4, and keita 2 and few other midfielders do contribute 1-2 goals each.

i am intrigued with this claim, so i check it out here https://www.worldfootball.net/goalgetter/eng-premier-league-2019-2020/.

martial, rashford and greenwood only scored 44 goals among them while salah, mane, firmino and origi scored 50. even if we take origi out, just to make it 3-3, our forward line still scored 46.

i don't know if you consider bruno fernandes with 8 goals as a forward. we still have ox with 4, and keita 2 and few other midfielders do contribute 1-2 goals each.
I was going by all competitions.

Rashford, Martial, Greenwood - 62 goals
Salah, Mane, Firmino - 57 goals

Think most of you under estimate Chelsea chances...

Kai Havertz,Timo Werner,,Hakim Ziyech, added to Tam Abraham,Mason,Christian Pulisic Tony Mount In attack & Midfiled...Thiago Silva, Ben Chilwell to strengten defence... This team rivals City easily in almost every area on the pitch including Quality off the bench, Pulisic being their new Hazzard

The way I see it is...
Title winners..... City/Chelsea
3rd place Liverpool/Utd/Arsenal...

Utd will try and strengthen by signing Sancho and Alcantara,

Arsenal some good signing, and players beginning to perfrom for the manager...

Liverpool.. Done well last season.We are strong in midfield,but still weak in one key area... Strikers coming off the bench. A long term injury to Mane or Salah (especially Mane) we will struggle.

6th Spurs

In fairness I think Greenwood only started in the front three about the last third of the season

Think most of you under estimate Chelsea chances...

Kai Havertz,Timo Werner,,Hakim Ziyech, added to Tam Abraham,Mason,Christian Pulisic Tony Mount In attack & Midfiled...Thiago Silva, Ben Chilwell to strengten defence... This team rivals City easily in almost every area on the pitch including Quality off the bench, Pulisic being their new Hazzard

The way I see it is...
Title winners..... City/Chelsea
3rd place Liverpool/Utd/Arsenal...

Utd will try and strengthen by signing Sancho and Alcantara,

Arsenal some good signing, and players beginning to perfrom for the manager...

Liverpool.. Done well last season.We are strong in midfield,but still weak in one key area... Strikers coming off the bench. A long term injury to Mane or Salah (especially Mane) we will struggle.

6th Spurs
You clearly play alot of FIFA/ football manager

[/QUOTE]
Without jumping in on the DR bashing... we're fucking Champions!!!!

Which is fair, but they also played quite far in to the Europa League against plodders. Least we had the decency to be shit in the domestic cups.

What are the appearance figures? Similar?

If you’re going by all competitions, I think you’d have to at the very least provide the number of games played by the forwards.

Rashford - 22 in 44
Martial - 23 in 48
Greenwood - 17 in 49

Total - 62 in 141

Salah - 23 in 48
Mane - 22 in 47
Firmino - 12 in 52

Total - 57 in 147

City - still think that they will be the major rivals for the title, though I do agree there's a chance that the squad might have lost their trust in Pep a bit. I also think the exit of Fernandinho and Silva as leaders in the dressing room will hurt them. If they sign Koulibaly, that should really help them though.

Nice write up as usual.
Didn't he sign up for another yaer?

He was going to leave but there was a 'slip up' on some IG clip City released.
I googled "Fernandinho retired" and nothing says he's stopped playing ...

He is available to buy as a Man City defender on fantasy football. That means he is still there.

Without jumping in on the DR bashing... we're fucking Champions!!!![/QUOTE]

Mate so was Leicester City for one season... How do they put it... "If you snooze you lose"... We are fast a sleep

Without jumping in on the DR bashing... we're fucking Champions!!!!

Mate so was Leicester City for one season... How do they put it... "If you snooze you lose"... We are fast a sleep[/QUOTE]

Stop comparing us to Leicester City. They were never the best team in Europe or anywhere near it. We are.

Surprised there's been no major departures for any of them bar the contract expiries (Vertonghen Willian Pedro Silva)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom