• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pass masters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oncy

Look up to the sky and there I be
Honorary Member
Why has number of passes become such a fucking massive deal with the press and within football.
I dont remember it being such a big shout in the past?
Its passes. Not goals. Number of goals....yeah I get that.

Because Spain and Barca have been playing some pretty amazing football and won a few things in recent years.

Surely that's more pleasurable on the eye than Chelsea's 2 banks of 4 and try and nick a goal?

I think it is a fresh breath of air that some teams try to use the ball to win games. Football were heading into phase were tactical geniouses (jose, Rafa and others) killed each others team by neutrilizing them, cover all rooms and be better off the ball. What Barcelona in particular has done is quite impressive. But again they have a group of players that are skilled enough to seek all the narrowest rooms and play in between oppositions. it is a football which is extremelly difficult to succeed with, and they still have no other plan than just keep it going their way. Fantastic.

The press are finally realising that stats have some part to play in football and think that anything that can be counted is relevant.

I think it is a fresh breath of air that some teams try to use the ball to win games. Football were heading into phase were tactical geniouses (jose, Rafa and others) killed each others team by neutrilizing them, cover all rooms and be better off the ball. What Barcelona in particular has done is quite impressive. But again they have a group of players that are skilled enough to seek all the narrowest rooms and play in between oppositions. it is a football which is extremelly difficult to succeed with, and they still have no other plan than just keep it going their way. Fantastic.
And still Rafa was able to neutralize Barca with Momo.

And still Rafa was able to neutralize Barca with Momo.

Yup impressive work by the tactical genius :)

its not either or. I mean, look at German Holland. Holland try to passtheir way around the Germans, without success. Then it doesn't look good at all. You are more impressed with the Germans just sitting tight and picking the ball from them as if it was candies from a 2 year old.

I dont know. Despite the drubbing last night I really enjoyed the intensity of the Spanish game. Their passing game was fantastic and the way they hunted in packs to get the ball back when they lost it ( for the odd time they did lose it) was really good to watch.

Is this the way Rodgers' wants his team to play? I hope so.

By the way Im happy to accept the old three pass goal as well.

What was the pass rate against Chelski in the CL semi-final? Surely almost as high, yet it counted for naught. Once these aspects of the game are isolated and fetishised they breed misunderstanding.

Sent from my Tiki Taka Rodgers mouth-magician K210

Liverpool + Passmaster - Fatty - dross^2 = Success

-Fatty - dross^2 = winger + striker

Liverpool + Passmaster + winger + Striker = Success

Passmaster = Xabi
Winger = Gaston Ramirez
Striker = David Villa

Liverpool + Xabi + Gaston Ramirez + David Villa = Success

I don't mind eye catching possession football but I want winning football first. Goals not possession wins games and you can take that to the bank.

Well, if you fail with your style and tactics, you will look twice as dull with a defensive direct style. If you win with your style and tactics you will look 5 times as good with an attacking ball possessive style. But both can win and fail.

I dont know. Despite the drubbing last night I really enjoyed the intensity of the Spanish game. Their passing game was fantastic and the way they hunted in packs to get the ball back when they lost it ( for the odd time they did lose it) was really good to watch.

Is this the way Rodgers' wants his team to play? I hope so.

By the way Im happy to accept the old three pass goal as well.

Well, yeah, the way they controlled the game was awesome, but in someways I just find it a little boring. Get to the point god damn it, and score some goals.

I'd rather win trophies than congratulate myself on how many passes I made. I get fucked off with the "you cannot win games without keeping the ball" bollox every pundit is stating. Last time I looked goals win matches, ask Chelsea.

England can win 1-0 with 30% posession as far as I cam concerned to win the Euro's. Sometimes these passes are 3 yrds sideways or back to the keeper or centre half yet it is still measured and admired in a stat - stupid

Well, yeah, the way they controlled the game was awesome, but in someways I just find it a little boring. Get to the point god damn it, and score some goals.

They scored four times. Lets agree to differ but I didnt find Spain boring to watch last night.

I'd rather win trophies than congratulate myself on how many passes I made. I get fucked off with the "you cannot win games without keeping the ball" bollox every pundit is stating. Last time I looked goals win matches, ask Chelsea.

England can win 1-0 with 30% posession as far as I cam concerned to win the Euro's. Sometimes these passes are 3 yrds sideways or back to the keeper or centre half yet it is still measured and admired in a stat - stupid

This is it for me, I actually get quite bored watching Barcelona at times. Yes theyre a fantastic team and technically excellent but this attitude that seems to have crept in that their way is the only way and every other type of football is a sin is bs. Its like there's only one way to play and they have openly criticised other teams styles in the past as if they are some form of pre madonnas. I think especially for kids coming through that its a bad message. I actually enjoy watching teams soak up pressure from them and beating them with a blistering counter attack as Madrid did this season, it shows them that they won't always have it their way and that indeed goals win matches not a million passes.

This is it for me, I actually get quite bored watching Barcelona at times. Yes theyre a fantastic team and technically excellent but this attitude that seems to have crept in that their way is the only way and every other type of football is a sin is bs. Its like there's only one way to play and they have openly criticised other teams styles in the past as if they are some form of pre madonnas. I think especially for kids coming through that its a bad message. I actually enjoy watching teams soak up pressure from them and beating them with a blistering counter attack as Madrid did this season, it shows them that they won't always have it their way and that indeed goals win matches not a million passes.

Well, the balance of power in La Liga make the league a little bit boring at times. But don't tell me you weren't impressed with the way they i.e. have played Real Madrid of the park a few times the last couple of seasons. I am not to impressed with a team worth 100 mill beating a team worth 10 mill easy. But in high class games I am impressed with the way Barcelona can appeal. They look for the most difficult passes and often with success.

And for people saying "look at chelsea". Well they won it, and they were shit lucky to do so. To survive both Barca and the final was just unbelievable. However to say that since they survived with their style is proof enough it will happen again is just as smart/ idiotic to say that since Fergie won the title in his sixth year it is proof that everyone else waiting six years to fire their manager will have the same success. It just doesn't work that way.

Saw this last week and there's certainly sense in it. Attacking football need not necessarily be possession based football.

Zdenek Zeman praised Francesco Totti as “the best player I ever worked with” and warns Roma that Luis Enrique-style possession football is “futile.”

The ex-Pescara Coach is raring to go, making his return to the Olimpico after a 13-year absence.

“I am happy to be back after so many years in an environment that allowed me to have fun,” he told Roma Channel.

“The fans often asked me to return over these 13 years and I’m happy to be here. I hope to give Roma what I could not in my first two years here. Our work aims to bring enjoyment to me, the players and the fans.

In my football I try to eliminate pointless things, so for me a horizontal pass is futile, as it’s just loaning each other the ball. We must always try to do something that will have meaning.”

This feels like the opposite of what predecessor Luis Enrique wanted over the past season at Roma.

“I think it’s only normal that coming out of the Barcelona school, where they focus so much on possession, that means preparing for a long move that takes you to the conclusion.

“I am quicker, in the sense that with possession you also give your opponents time to get settled in defence. It’s much more difficult to break down a defence that is closed rather than catching them unprepared. I also see long-range shots as rather desperate. In my type of football, the striker must receive service.

“We also play the same way, whether home or away. With Pescara this season we scored 45 goals at home and 45 on our travels.”

Well, the balance of power in La Liga make the league a little bit boring at times. But don't tell me you weren't impressed with the way they i.e. have played Real Madrid of the park a few times the last couple of seasons. I am not to impressed with a team worth 100 mill beating a team worth 10 mill easy. But in high class games I am impressed with the way Barcelona can appeal. They look for the most difficult passes and often with success.

And for people saying "look at chelsea". Well they won it, and they were shit lucky to do so. To survive both Barca and the final was just unbelievable. However to say that since they survived with their style is proof enough it will happen again is just as smart/ idiotic to say that since Fergie won the title in his sixth year it is proof that everyone else waiting six years to fire their manager will have the same success. It just doesn't work that way.

It is impressive, and in big games they have provided a lot of excitement, but mourinho has worked hard to turn things around and neutralised them this year. In the past they have convincingly beaten madrid and other teams big european teams but this year things didnt go their way in those big games you speak of. I just dont get the attitude of their way being this high and mighty way of playing. Its one thing to believe in your own style but they have in the past criticised teams who have beaten them for having ugly styles and accused them of playing anti football. Its not like teams can beat them at their own game so sometimes parking the bus and getting a bit of luck while leaving them have most of the possession is a perfectly valid way of playing. Mourinho deploys hard tackling and counter attacking football to beat them while we must remember that had Arjen Robben held his composure 2 years ago holland would be world champions (hypothetical I know) using similar tactics. It probably wont last too long though as the game moves in cycles and more and more coaches will wake up to ways to stop them, but obviously those teams will need the players to do it, which Ireland didnt have against Spain last night :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom