• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match: Arsenal (A)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had a flashback to the 90/91 season - a season we started, as champions, very strongly with 8 straight wins (would have been 13 if the linesman at Norwich hadn't wrongly adjudged the ball to have gone out of play as we "scored" the goal that would have made it 2-1) , and were undefeated in 14 games.

Then we went to Highbury and Dalglish put out a team with four fullbacks (Burrows, Nicol, Ablett, Venison), and, of course, no Beardsley, and we got twatted 3-0. That was the day I started to think Kenny was losing it a bit ...

We ended that season with no Dalglish and no title, and have not won it since.

This weekend we will erase that memory & march on to no. 19 (unless Klopp plays Moreno, Robertson, Trent and Clyne)

Well, there was a season (not sure if 90/91 was it) when Stevie Nicol and Gary Ablett were our CBs - initially as an emergency measure but it ended up lasting the season - and our Goals Against record was some kind of record low tho' Venison and Burrows, I admit, weren't the best FBs we've ever fielded.

As for the upcoming game: gonna be tough IMO. They're defo breathing a sigh of relief now that the dead hand of Wenger's been removed, but we ought to be able to have some sport with that defence of theirs. 2-1 Liverpool.

Well, there was a season (not sure if 90/91 was it) when Stevie Nicol and Gary Ablett were our CBs - initially as an emergency measure but it ended up lasting the season - and our Goals Against record was some kind of record low tho' Venison and Burrows, I admit, weren't the best FBs we've ever fielded.

As for the upcoming game: gonna be tough IMO. They're defo breathing a sigh of relief now that the dead hand of Wenger's been removed, but we ought to be able to have some sport with that defence of theirs. 2-1 Liverpool.
Yes, but in the same line up as those 4, he also had Glenn Hysen and Gary Gillespie. It may have been 3 CBs with Nicol in midfield.

The full line up was :
Grobbelaar, Hysén , Burrows , Nicol , Whelan(c), Gillespie, Ablett , Venison, Rush, Barnes, Mølby

Ans this was before squad numbers so Ablett was wearing 7, and Venison 8 :)

Yes, but in the same line up as those 4, he also had Glenn Hysen and Gary Gillespie. It may have been 3 CBs with Nicol in midfield.

The full line up was :
Grobbelaar, Hysén , Burrows , Nicol , Whelan(c), Gillespie, Ablett , Venison, Rush, Barnes, Mølby

Ans this was before squad numbers so Ablett was wearing 7, and Venison 8 :)

That team has 6 defenders and two holding midfielders. Even Benitez would have baulked at that*

*He wouldn't

Not exactly, or even anything close to being, the right thread, however (Carabao Cup FFS) :

Kevin De Bruyne will be out for up to six weeks with knee ligament damage sustained against Fulham on Thursday, Manchester City have announced.
De Bruyne hurt his left knee towards the end of the 2-0 win that secured City a Carabao Cup quarter-final date with either Leicester City of Southampton.

Not exactly, or even anything close to being, the right thread, however (Carabao Cup FFS) :

Kevin De Bruyne will be out for up to six weeks with knee ligament damage sustained against Fulham on Thursday, Manchester City have announced.
De Bruyne hurt his left knee towards the end of the 2-0 win that secured City a Carabao Cup quarter-final date with either Leicester City of Southampton.

So he's now injured both legs? Excellent!

Worryingly, everybody and his dog are predicting Lovren at CB with Gomez at RB. I'd really prefer the Virge/ Gomez CB partnership with Trent at RB. Lovren's tendency to dive in against their fast tricksy forwards is not what we need. Gomez has the amazing pace to play reactively, he doesn't need to lunge. Come at me bitches. Equally, Trent pushing up gives the likes of Iwobi more to think about defensively. This has the potential to be a fascinating game.

Worryingly, everybody and his dog are predicting Lovren at CB with Gomez at RB. I'd really prefer the Virge/ Gomez CB partnership with Trent at RB. Lovren's tendency to dive in against their fast tricksy forwards is not what we need. Gomez has the amazing pace to play reactively, he doesn't need to lunge. Come at me bitches. Equally, Trent pushing up gives the likes of Iwobi more to think about defensively. This has the potential to be a fascinating game.
Yeah I don't believe that Gomez and VvD won't start as our CBs in this so don't believe those rumours. Seems obvious for his pace along never mind his calmness. That said Klopp does seem to like Lovren for some strange reason (half tongue in cheek).

We have a game against Red Star on Tuesday think there might be some heavy rotating for that game. So that's when Lovren plays and gets booed.

I don’t like our balance with Gomez at RB and also think he has to play CB to address their threats. Excited for this one.

I've got a bad feeling about this. Trying to squeeze watching the match at the pub before a busy day kicks off. Usually when I try to defy timing and logistics we get dicked or draw 0-0.

Would love to see Shaq start but I think Jurgen will go with his trusted 4-3-3 with Gini, Fabinho and Milner in midfield against Arsenal's Xhaka and Torreira. Laca, Aubemayang, Ozil and Iwobi will definitely start IMO, so it leaves our hardworking three against Ozil (AM) and the other two defensive mids. Will be important to have control in the centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom