• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Newcastle (H) - Thurs - 20:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brizzle

Deposed match thread starter
Sorry for the delay in starting this, the F1 drained me.

December PL fixtures coming thick and fast now, and we need to ensure we keep the squad fresh and exploit opportunities to demolish poor teams. With Spurs at the weekend I could see one or two tweaks to our team.

-----------------Ali---------------
Trent--Matip--VVD--Tsimikas. i think we get a lot of benefit from playing Kostas against relegation fodder
--------------Fabs---------------
--------Thiago-----Ox----------- Rest on of Hendo or Thiago, noting we will play both against Spurs
Salah------Jota-------Mane-- Could see an argument for Origi in this game too, for Mane.

Sorry for the delay in starting this, the F1 drained me.

December PL fixtures coming thick and fast now, and we need to ensure we keep the squad fresh and exploit opportunities to demolish poor teams. With Spurs at the weekend I could see one or two tweaks to our team.

-----------------Ali---------------
Trent--Matip--VVD--Tsimikas. i think we get a lot of benefit from playing Kostas against relegation fodder
--------------Fabs---------------
--------Thiago-----Ox----------- Rest on of Hendo or Thiago, noting we will play both against Spurs
Salah------Jota-------Mane-- Could see an argument for Origi in this game too, for Mane.

Lineup approved.

I was thinking along the lines of:

——————Alisson———————
———-Konate——-Van Dijk————
Trent———-Fabinho———-Tsimikas
———Ox—————Keita—————
Salah———Firmino—————Jota—

I really want to see Keita in this game; I think Newcastle is one of those teams that will make stupid mistakes in possession when put under pressure and Keita is probably our best midfielder at inducing and exploiting these mistakes. Ox is not far behind Naby in that regard and I just want him to finally score a goal - and he should get chances against Newcastle.

Sadio could use a little rest I think; hopefully Firmino is fit to start, if not I would consider Minamino or Lord Divock. Konate and Tsimikas are self-explanatory.

Last edited:
We need to rest a few players in this game. We have a game 3 days later, maybe the best time to play Spurs considering their Covid situation.

Fabinho & Robertson one booking asway from a game ban. I would rest both for this game to ensure they are available for Spurs
I think Robertson is one we are ok with. Losing Fabs for spurs would be bad. I could hope that he gets a tactical yellow against spurs and miss the league cup game which would be decent planning.

Last edited:
Basically it's not gonna end well for Newcastle.

If they thought last night was rough.....

Would be interesting to see whether we rotate assuming Spurs game is on, or we go full strength hoping/assuming that Spurs will be cancelled.

We should know by Thursday if it’s off. If it is off then we would expect full strength. If Spurs is on we may give konate a start alongside Milner, Firmino and Jota against Newcastle

I was thinking along the lines of:

——————Alisson———————
———-Konate——-Van Dijk————
———Ox—————Keita—————
Salah———Firmino—————Jota—

I really want to see Keita in this game; I think Newcastle is one of those teams that will make stupid mistakes in possession when put under pressure and Keita is probably our best midfielder at inducing and exploiting these mistakes. Ox is not far behind Naby in that regard and I just want him to finally score a goal - and he should get chances against Newcastle.

Sadio could use a little rest I think; hopefully Firmino is fit to start, if not I would consider Minamino or Lord Divock. Konate and Tsimikas are self-explanatory.

From memory a midfield containing both Ox and Keita has always been abysmal and ineffective. For me it's either/or with them two until it's proven to work in a cup fixture. They've had 3/4 games together as a pair and it's never worked. Seems a bit of a risk with the league as tight as it is.

There’s zero chance we have a chance against this squad!!!!

I mean, how do you stop Ryan Fraser!!!!!

Salah must be praying that Jamal Lewis doesn’t make the starting team!!!

We’re getting massacred!!!

——————Alisson——————— ——————Alisson———————
———-Gomez——-Konate ———— ———-Gomez——-Konate ————
Trent———-Fabinho———-Tsimikas OR Milner———-Morton———-Tsimikas
———Ox—————Milner————— ———Ox—————Keita—————
Salah———--Origi—————Jota— -Salah———--Origi—————Jota—

Last edited:
——————Alisson——————— ——————Alisson———————
———-Gomez——-Konate ———— ———-Gomez——-Konate ————
Trent———-Fabinho———-Tsimikas OR Milner———-Morton———-Tsimikas
———Ox—————Milner————— ———Ox—————Keita—————
Salah———--Origi—————Jota— -Salah———--Origi—————Jota—

I have no idea how this looks on your screen, but to me it’s like this :
8a6cc0e73419df056f674f63dbaf1357.png

I have no idea what this is!!!

Obviously our only hope of beating a team packed with as much quality as Newcastle is to clone each player in the squad and have 22 players on the pitch at all times. Shrewd analysis from Donovan.

I like the in-depth analysis that suggests we try a front 3 of Salah, Origi and Jota or the alternate lineup of Salah, Origi and Jota.

Never thought of those variations...

Don't know what happened there but it should have looked like this

——————Alisson———————
———-Gomez——-Konate ————
———Ox—————Milner—————
Salah———--Origi—————Jota—

OR
——————Alisson———————​
———-Gomez——-Konate ————​
Milner———-Morton———-Tsimikas​
———Ox—————Keita—————​
-Salah———--Origi—————Jota—​

I like the in-depth analysis that suggests we try a front 3 of Salah, Origi and Jota or the alternate lineup of Salah, Origi and Jota.

Never thought of those variations...

What's better than having Salah in the starting line up...?
Having two Salah's in the starting Line up is what

From memory a midfield containing both Ox and Keita has always been abysmal and ineffective. For me it's either/or with them two until it's proven to work in a cup fixture. They've had 3/4 games together as a pair and it's never worked. Seems a bit of a risk with the league as tight as it is.

Not sure about last season, but this season Ox and Keita only started 2 games in midfield together: first game of the season away at Norwich (0:3) and a cup game, again against Norwich (also 0:3). In the first game Milner played at DM, 2nd game it was Jones and Naby was withdrawn for Morton in the 2nd half. I think more instructive are the games Keita started with Milner alongside him, similar idea of two players who are aggressive tacklers, but don't hold their position very well – against imbalanced teams like Watford and Man United this combination (with Henderson at DM) resulted in back-to-back 0:5 away wins. I wouldn't be against Milner starting vs Newcastle as well, but I think Ox is in a better run of form.

BTW if anyone watched Bayern games recently you may have noticed that they now like to play their quick wingers in midfield, lately it's been Musiala nominally starting at CM, but at different times Sane or Gnabry attack through the middle as well. I think this is one of Nagelsmann's innovations, although you could say Klopp's idea of playing Ox in midfield was the precursor. In any case, it's very effective against weaker teams; Bayern regularly creates 4-on-3 or 4-on-4 fast breaks and between a third and a half of them eventually get converted. The extra speedy "winger" in midfield creates an overload that's very hard to defend against on the counter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom