• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match Thread - Chelsea (a) - Sun 13th 16:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea why we bought him to be honest. You don't pay the money we paid for him then try to mould him into a player he is not. He is not on the same wavelength as any of our players. He will score a few goals here and there but we will never be able to consistently rely on him. He doesn't fit the way we play.

Ditto.

I said last season that he strikes me as a very expensive Origi and nothing I've seen since has changed my mind.

out-kast-sorry.gif

I think Nunez is 50/50 to either be our player of the season or sold at a loss to whoever is willing to take him off our hands at the end of the season.

Should've been a penalty and was a shocking decision to not at the least call the ref over to review, who's going to be the poster that keeps count of all the scandalous decisions that go against us?

It has been done already. The result ought to make you weep and pain you. However, you will of course look at the data and and tell me that the refereeing is safe and effective, with some inane insults directed toward the author being an idiot in order to support your own idiotic belief.

https://tomkinstimes.substack.com/p/objective-data-liverpool-are-refereed?sd=pf

Had this been Trent it would have been in every paper, meme, and football studio...

I'm a big fan of TAA, think he is unfairly maligned and that he should stay at RB... however... the reason is would be a thing for TAA and not Reece James is fairly obvious.

I'm a big fan of TAA, think he is unfairly maligned and that he should stay at RB... however... the reason is would be a thing for TAA and not Reece James is fairly obvious.

While James is no doubt better defensively; he's still caught out quite a lot.

Is this fair comment on Nunez yesterday? I fear it is

[hl]
The current standing of Liverpool’s second-most expensive signing ever can be gauged from the fact that they started the game with four forwards and none of them was him. On 68 minutes, with Chelsea now dominating, Darwin Núñez was eventually called from the bench. His first meaningful involvement was to drift to the right and attempt to form a triangle with Salah and Alexander-Arnold, a triangle with only two points as the other two didn’t seem interested in passing to him. Instead they dithered and moved backwards, Alexander-Arnold lost possession, and Nicolas Jackson was suddenly streaking through, only for Alisson to save one-on-one.
That near-miss may have been why Klopp took Salah off a couple of minutes later, but it would have been better to take Núñez off, even though he had only been on the pitch for seven minutes at that point.

His highlights in the remaining quarter hour: losing a 50-50 with the 39-year old Thiago Silva, stepping backwards when Dominik Szoboszlai wanted him to step forwards for a quick one-two, and miscontrolling Alexis Mac Allister’s quick forward pass when alone and unmarked in the Chelsea penalty area. Mac Allister’s pass wasn’t good, but Nuñez’s touch was worse.
At the very end he shouldered Malo Gusto to the ground, turned, ran and hit a 25-yard shot which deflected off Ugochukwu and wide.

It was a moment that showed the qualities that would make Núñez a good player for a bad team. With his power, speed and tunnel vision, he could be a phenomenal player for the current Everton side, or any slow defensive team that needs an out-ball to a game and speedy forward.
But Klopp’s Liverpool have always been about putting more and more pressure on the opponent until they buckle. Keeping the pressure on means keeping the ball in tight spaces, and this is where Nuñez struggles. With him in the side, no sooner are they threatening to build some pressure when along comes Núñez to let the air out. Unless he’s got secret admirers in Saudi Arabia, it’s looking like another awkward season in prospect.

[hl][/hl][/hl]
Was this written by one of the Nunez haters on SCM? Momo was this you ?!

Anyway to answer this ridiculously biased assessment by someone who clearly has an axe to grind :

1. How is Nunez responsible for Trent/Mo not utilising him ?
2. A lack of understanding between Nunez and Szobo? Wow shocking and not in the least surprising. We seem to be happy to give some players ½ season to bed in but Szobo has been here a few weeks and we expect them to be telepathic ? And that's before we even consider the hundreds of times it happens between players who've been playing together for years : Mane & Mo for example.
3. 'losing a 50/50 to Thiago'. That didn't happen, the attacker is always at a disadvantage in those situations unless the ball falls directly to him (Hint. it didn't). And it would also be no shame losing out to Thiago if it had happened.
4. Mac's 'pass' was at a million miles an hour - even the commentators blamed him.
5. Nunez struggles in tight spaces? He's not Thiago but once yesterday he beat 3 players in a tight circle before laying it off. He doesn't often struggle and manages to lay it off more often than not.
He wasn't in the game much of the just 30 mins he played but you can guess why ... because we were defending for most of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom