• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Premier League Era... Pick Your Best Starting 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
--------------------------Alisson-------------------------
--Trent---------Hyypia-----------VVD---------Robertson--
---------------------Xabi-------Gerrard-----------------
---------Salah--------------------------------Mane----
---------------------Suarez----Fowler-------------------

I'm not setting out to create the most balanced, efficient side. That side would likely include Masher at the expense of Fowler and have Carragher at RCB. The players picked are the ones that have given me the most joy to watch.

Torres, Owen and Coutinho easily omitted for their scummy exits. Suarez did the same, but he's arguably the most skilled player the club has seen, so he forces his way in.

I was too young to catch Barnes at his best, so Mane wins in on the left.

Xabi over Thiago, Masher, Fabs, Hamann, etc, was a tough one, but his final year was one of the most memorable CM seasons I've ever seen. The quality was just off the scale and I was gutted when he left. That one really stung.

Long-term I think Konate has the potential to force his way in this side at LCB, but needs some years under his belt.

Last edited:
It’s an insignificant amount over time and his positive contributions, this season aside, far outweigh his negative influence.

His shite form this season shouldn’t take away from what he’s achieved from RB.

Dunno man. Still can't get over my annoyance with his performances this season.

He can make it up for it by wooing Jude over though.

We could actually do a pretty good “Sick Note XI”.

Kirkland
Rob Jones
Fabio Aurelio
Matip
Agger
Thiago
Kieta
Aquilani
Kewell
Litmanen
Sturridge

That’s a decent team… although the chances of any of those fuckers being fit at the same time is about the same as us signing a midfielder in January.

Seems to me that you have missed the point...
1) Forget about Injuries, short or long term.
2)Players must be considered on thier very best form
and,or the impact they had on the club for the club

Players like Agger, Aurelio Litmanen , were massive when they were fit... I know; lets add Salah VVD Bobby, and anyone else to your list who as ever pick up and injury...

And by the way Garcia's strike against Chelsea from 2005 got us to the CL final in Istanbul, and we all know what happened there

Yes; you cannot chose every player that played during the premier league era, by my choice's are for my reason's

Seems to me that you have missed the point...
1) Forget about Injuries, short or long term.
2)Players must be considered on thier very best form
and,or the impact they had on the club for the club

Players like Agger, Aurelio Litmanen , were massive when they were fit... I know; lets add Salah VVD Bobby, and anyone else to your list who as ever pick up and injury...

And by the way Garcia's strike against Chelsea from 2005 got us to the CL final in Istanbul, and we all know what happened there

Yes; you cannot chose every player that played during the premier league era, by my choice's are for my reason's

upload_2022-12-20_8-27-19.gif

Fucking laughable Mane isn’t in peoples teams.
Fucker won everything there is to win including our singular league title in the era where he was one of if not the star performer that season.

Dickheads the lot of you!

Allison
Trent
VVD
Hyypia
Robertson
Gerrard
Alonso
Coutinho
Salah
Mane
Suarez

--Trent---------Matip-----------VVD---------Robertson--
---------------------Xabi-------Mascher-----------------
---------Salah---------Gerrard-------------Mane----
--------------------------Suarez-----------------------

Tough to leave out Hyppia but I felt Matip/VVD complement themselves better than Hyppia/VVD.

Tough to leave out Hyppia but I felt Matip/VVD complement themselves better than Hyppia/VVD.

This is 100% my team too.

I get the Hyppia problems - but Van Dijk, Hyppia Agger (???) all were left sided CB’s, whereas our choices for right CB would be from Henchoz, Carragher, Skrtle, Matip or Gomez.

My OCD won’t let me put Hyppia at RCB - so it’s Matip or Carragher for me.

Anyway… here is the correct answer :

GK : Lord Divock
RB : Lord Divock
LB : Lord Divock
CB : Lord Divock
CB : Lord Divock
DM : Lord Divock
CM : Lord Divock
CM : Lord Divock
RW : Lord Divock
ST : Lord Divock
LW : Lord Divock

Without him in every position - football is nothing.

Fucker won everything there is to win including our singular league title in the era where he was one of if not the star performer that season.

Allison
Trent
VVD
Hyypia
Robertson
Gerrard
Alonso
Coutinho
Salah
Mane
Suarez
Mhm...damn straight

Allison
Trent
VVD
Hyypia
Robertson
Gerrard
Alonso
Coutinho
Salah
Mane
Suarez
The entire forum hangs its collective head in shame, having been schooled by DB

I think it’s funny he’s missing out Fabinho, Firmino and Henderson who have also won everything.

Alisson
Trent
Matip
VVD
Robbo

Fabinho
Alonso
Gerrard

Salah
Suarez
Mane

For me, I don't understand any other debate. Alonso was better than Gini and Gerrard better than hendo. Otherwise it picks itself

Now, if we're talking premier League squad, there's debates to be had

Now, if we're talking premier League squad, there's debates to be had

Premier League all time squad would be next to impossible to call, you could pick 3-4 different players in each position.

For me it's Cech Zabaleta Kompany Virgil Cole Kante Gerrard KDB Suarez Henry Drogba

Possibly VDS over Cech, Viera over Kante and Rooney over Drogba....maybe even maybe Lee Cattermole over KDB.

People would argue Rio and Terry over Kompany and Virgil purely on number of titles they achieved.

People would argue for Gerrard and Suarez to be left out because they never won 1.

Like you say so much debate to be had.

Last edited:
Alisson
Trent
Matip
VVD
Robbo

Fabinho
Alonso
Gerrard

Salah
Suarez
Mane

For me, I don't understand any other debate. Alonso was better than Gini and Gerrard better than hendo. Otherwise it picks itself

I loved Masher - I think he’s on his own as a DM.

There’s an argument that Didi was a better DM than Fabs - very similar players.

I agree with everything else…

However…

Maybe Carragher for Matip - that’s a discussion.

Maybe…. Could you shift Suarez to the left (I wouldn’t) to have either Fowler or… Torres through the middle - any of those combo’s is amazing.

He hasn’t been mentioned - and he’s a twat.. but…. Owen flanked by Salah & Mane would also be immense.

He hasn’t been mentioned - and he’s a twat.. but…. Owen flanked by Salah & Mane would also be immense.

That could potentially be the fastest attack we have ever seen. The counter attacks would be lightening. But still Owen over Suarez?

That’s a pretty incredible front 4 to be fair… impossible to top that.

Were Alonso and Mascherano as a pair more effective than Fabinho-Thiago? I think it’s close - both pairs have their strong and weak points. I like Fabinho’s forward passing a lot better than Mascher’s, Alonso long passing was more consistent than Thiago’s (more consistent than any other midfielder I’ve ever seen actually), but Thiago can carry the ball and not just pass. Defensively on his own Mascher offers more protection than anyone, but Fabinho’s ability to counter-press high up the pitch is better than anyone. Overall Klopp’s team has dominated the competition more than Rafa’s team so there is a good argument for going with the current midfield, basically Klopp’s best team + Gerrard and Suarez.

Last edited:
So if the starting 11 is Klopp’s best team + Gerrard and Suarez, let’s select 7 subs:

Reina, Hyypia, Milner, Alonso, McManaman, Sturridge, Fowler

Some big names omitted, but the squad needs balance. Not sure about Torres as a sub - either build the team around him or don’t play him; I’d rather bring on Sturridge to play with Suarez. Macca gets the nod because we need at least one proper winger/AM and I can’t think of anyone better (Coutinho? Nah.). Hard to omit Mascher or Carra, but Milner can cover full-back positions on either side + midfield.

Last edited:
So if the starting 11 is Klopp’s best team + Gerrard and Suarez, let’s select 7 subs:

Reina, Hyypia, Milner, Alonso, McManaman, Sturridge, Fowler

Some big names omitted, but the squad needs balance. Not sure about Torres as a sub - either build the team around him or don’t play him; I’d rather bring on Sturridge to play with Suarez. Macca gets the nod because we need at least one proper winger/AM and I can’t think of anyone better. Hard to omit Mascher or Carra, but Milner can do both of their jobs.

Torres on the bench, surely?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom