• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Raheem Sterling's contract situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think 20-25000 is about right for him now with a percentage increment every year for the next five years. This will probably be re negotiated with a couple of years left on the contract but I feel he deserves a good wage, especially because of the fact that hes been our second best player this season, next only to Suarez.

The England squad call-up also increases his negotiating power

If we have money for wasters like Cole, Downing and Doni then there should be money for one of the best prospects we have at the club.

Give him a reasonable contract I say.

Just offer him 20 grand, if he says no just offer him incremental increases based on appearances

If we have money for wasters like Cole, Downing and Doni then there should be money for one of the best prospects we have at the club.

Give him a reasonable contract I say.

It's because we give so much money to 'proven' players who aren't worth it that we probably can't afford to offer Sterling what he's worth

Thankfully we got the likes of Agger and Skrtel signed up to long term bumper contracts this year too.

Players who've been with us for the best part of a decade and won utterly fuck all with us in that time.

It's that kinda decision-making that'll ensure Raheeeeeeeeeeeem will end up at City/Chelsea/Utd within 12 months.

Sterling's agent must be reading this forum to negotiate for 90k per week after seeing that Cole and Downing are getting that.

Thankfully we got the likes of Agger and Skrtel signed up to long term bumper contracts this year too.

Players who've been with us for the best part of a decade and won utterly fuck all with us in that time.

It's that kinda decision-making that'll ensure Raheeeeeeeeeeeem will end up at City/Chelsea/Utd within 12 months.

I thought I was the only one who saw the pointlessness of giving losers bigger wages to stay.

Maybe I'm not crazy

I thought I was the only one who saw the pointlessness of giving losers bigger wages to stay.

Maybe I'm not crazy

Heh - I said it at the time, I said it since, and I''ll say it again. Turning down 20/25M for guys that have been with us for 6/7 years, won nothing in that time, aren't fucking worldbeaters anyway, and we're in a rebuilding phase - only to compound that by giving them more money to stay... Fucking insanity.

But I was shouted down at the time by the Agger-is-fucking-amazing apologists.

So its Aggers and Skyrtels fault we couldn't score in a brothel last season? I seem to remember our defence being pretty good over the last couple of seasons. Any idiot can see that they are top class players and we needed to tie them down to new contracts or risk losing them. Its the coles and downings of this world you should be focussing on.

Any idiot can see that they are top class players and we needed to tie them down to new contracts or risk losing them. .

Aye and now we'll have them around on fat contracts while we hang about at 6th position. Which is where we've been for the majority of their time with us.

But that's only cos we don't have a goalscorer.

Aye and now we'll have them around on fat contracts while we hang about at 6th position. Which is where we've been for the majority of their time with us.

So what do we do? Sell our two best centre backs just so we dont have to pay them big wages?
I seem to remember agger playing in a champions league final in his time here, and in a charge for the title a couple of years back. This was when we had quality all over the pitch. My point is that we need to keep our best players, continue to get rid of the deadwood that are on extortionate wages, and bring in top players that will represent value for money (fee/wages). I think Rodgers is doing a good job of this so far.

As I said to Ross in the summer, that's adopting an extreme viewpoint and in many ways it's taking a salesman type approach to the problem. I'll sell you guys all this stuff that sounds rather reasonable and leave the actual details and implementation (which is really fucking hard) to someone else - meanwhile, I get to sound really on the ball though.

You need to preserve a balance between youth and good senior players during a rebuilding phase. Having guys like Cole, Carra and Downing on huge contracts is an inexcusable waste of money because they contribute next to nothing. As for the likes of Agger who can contribute - pinpointing individuals and saying we've won nothing with them around is being a bit obtuse.

I suspect the fact that the new scouting system was only implemented after this season started means we have tied them down & may well be looking to cash in on them once we have suitable replacements lined up.

Had Rodgers sold them & brought in two untested centre backs we'd have been in fucking uproar, esp considering what happened with our striker. Or non existent striker should I say.

As I said to Ross in the summer, that's adopting an extreme viewpoint and in many ways it's taking a salesman type approach to the problem. I'll sell you guys all this stuff that sounds rather reasonable and leave the actual details and implementation (which is really fucking hard) to someone else - meanwhile, I get to sound really on the ball though.

You need to preserve a balance between youth and good senior players during a rebuilding phase. Having guys like Cole, Carra and Downing on huge contracts is an inexcusable waste of money because they contribute next to nothing. As for the likes of Agger who can contribute - pinpointing individuals and saying we've won nothing with them around is being a bit obtuse.

Pretty much what i've been trying to say, but you've put it better. Although I must add that at least Carra did contribute massively to the club/team during his time here to merit the contract hes on.

Another point is that Agger and Skyrtel will still only be 32 by the end of their new contracts so still on top of their game.

If you think Carragher deserves 120k a week your mental.

You don't pay people for what they did in the past

It's a delicate process with Sterling because on the one hand you're dealing with a precocious footballing talent but on the other you're dealing with a pretty immature teenager who's already needed slapping down several times in the past five months and is surrounded by some fairly dubious people who have already tried to tout him around other clubs. LFC needs to keep him, and keep him happy, whilst ensuring they don't help to create a monster. This used to be where Steve Heighway came into his own in the background, and where Borrell now does a similar job, but as Sterling is already ensconced in the first team he's much harder to keep sensible and settled. It's not just about throwing money at him. There's a responsibility there to help him through a phase in his life and career where he could easily go wrong as well as right.

No I dont think he does. But I also dont think its fair to put him in the same bracket as Cole and Downing as Carra has actually done something for the club, quite a lot actually. So his wage doesnt sicken me as much Coles for example.

Yep, that contract was fucking insanity, & carra could even be accused of taking advantage of the situation at the club to get it, though I doubt many, if any, people here would have done otherwise if negotiations were that easy.

He's already practically helping with coaching at a time when there's an unprecedented number of kids in the squad who need his guidance. I think he's worth the money and it seems a bit pointless dragging him into the discussion.

Surely this idea that we should've sold Agger and Skrtel is about as clear a case of confusing correlation and causation as you're going to get. It's pretty childlike reasoning to think they're expendable just because they've been here during a period of mediocrity - you've got to look at their actual contribution to that state of affairs, what they can do in the future, and their value in the market.

Sometimes when I read this forum, I keep being reminded that you should not bother to argue with idiots. Sooner or later they drag you down to their level and beat you on experience.....

Surely this idea that we should've sold Agger and Skrtel is about as clear a case of confusing correlation and causation as you're going to get. It's pretty childlike reasoning to think they're expendable just because they've been here during a period of mediocrity - you've got to look at their actual contribution to that state of affairs, what they can do in the future, and their value in the market.

Quite, I really don't get this point. Michael Owen and Gerrard carried us through years of mediocrity too. Fowler and McManaman never won much.

Quite, I really don't get this point. Michael Owen and Gerrard carried us through years of mediocrity too. Fowler and McManaman never won much.

All they are saying... just sell, sell them all... just saying.

Bang on.

It's because we give so much money to 'proven' players who aren't worth it that we probably can't afford to offer Sterling what he's worth

No doubt we are wasting money on some of our players contracts Rosco but that doesnt extrapolate into we are therefore wasting all of our money on all of players contracts, which ones do you keep? How do you know at the time you sign them? It's all to easy to make those statements and just a little bit too knowing, good players cost money it is that simple.

You could argue, in a logical sense that as we are unsuccesful hence our money is currently being wasted if our aim is to win, so we should therefore scrap what we've got and invest in young kids coming up. That is a fine and powerful argument but at the same time that long termism is not actually feasible in the short term is it. Every team in the league from the top to the bottom has dead wood in it, it is in the inherent nature of the current system.

I take your point as inherently true and EVERYONE dislikes wasting money on shit players who don't contribute but it doesnt really amount to much more than "we should spend our money better".... well.... no shit....

As an aside, I do respect that even though we have argued in the past you were one of the few willing to argue ad nauseum along with myself and a few others against the signing of Downing as in that particular case it was obvious wasteful fucking madness, sadly it's not always that simple.

I hope we give the lad a good new contract and that he earns every single penny of it and more he looks like a hell of a prospect and if he keeps learning might well be a hell of player. Fingers crossed.

The club could have put the money they spent on a private detective to hunt down Jenkins towards Sterling's wage increase. This lot in charge haven't got a clue.

Change your tune Rael. Yes we know you dislike the owners but to see it in every fucking thread is now becoming boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom