• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Record breakers - Burnley post match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who the fuck is Trent to take that free kick away from Shaq?
That pissed me off more than Origi's miss.

Nah. Origi’s miss was just incompetence. That free kick was close and difficult to get on target. Shifting it was stupid.

Anyone on know why the Anfield Wrap took down a video they posted after the game on you tube. Bad comments perhaps

We've been found out. When teams are stretched and open we are unplayable and unbeatable. We have proven that our players and our style can't deal with a team sitting back and saying "come on then, if you think you're hard enough". Game after game of barely throwing a punch.

Firmino is excellent at making space and playing a role that helps others score more - when the game is open and stretched. Salah & Mane work best when running with the ball or running into space.

We don't have the players, or the ability to play against the low block. We are trying the same thing over and over against expecting a different result - madness.

We've been found out. When teams are stretched and open we are unplayable and unbeatable. We have proven that our players and our style can't deal with a team sitting back and saying "come on then, if you think you're hard enough". Game after game of barely throwing a punch.

Firmino is excellent at making space and playing a role that helps others score more - when the game is open and stretched. Salah & Mane work best when running with the ball or running into space.

We don't have the players, or the ability to play against the low block. We are trying the same thing over and over against expecting a different result - madness.

See Dortmund 2014/15.

I've not read through this thread but just wanted to just wanted to add that I 100% agree with what rurik said in the match thread regarding our success being built on wanting it more than other teams.

There is no doubt that there is a lot of quality in the side but we haven't gone unbeaten (pretty much) for two seasons on the back of that alone. It's been the result of incredible determination, work ethic, team work and desire.

There are a bunch of factors you can point to - injuries, Covid, the continued misery of lockdowns, no crowds and all that. But any side whose fuel is hunger and desire is going to suffer after a sustained period of success and we have done very little to address that.

We've talked about bringing in new players to pad out the squad and allow to rotate but you also need to bring in new players to maintain that hunger and keep existing players on their toes.

Firmino knows he's pretty much untouchable and his performances haven't been justifying that status for a long long time now. Salah's little paddy about not being named captain tells you everything you need to know about how he sees himself. And the same goes for quite a few of them.

City suffered a similar dip due after two seasons of success due to injuries and various other factors. And unlike us, they're a side that actually can beat teams in second gear. We clearly didn't learn from them.

Thiago left a team that had Sane, Costa, Coman, Gnabry and Muller in attacking positions not to mention Lewandowski.

Edwards and co get a lot of praise. The teams struggles now should also mean that they get criticism too.

The respect and fear factor we've built up over two years is unfortunately long gone now and we are starting from scratch. Somehow Klopp and the rest of the players need to acknowledge that and put aside any ideas we've built up about being unbeatable defending champions - because we're nowhere near that.

Who the fuck is Trent to take that free kick away from Shaq?
That pissed me off more than Origi's miss.

Seriously? Trent is our nominal set piece taker, hes well within his rights to take that freekick from Shaq. In what version of reality is Trent deferring to Shaqs seniority in this squad.

Seriously? Trent is our nominal set piece taker, hes well within his rights to take that freekick from Shaq. In what version of reality is Trent deferring to Shaqs seniority in this squad.
Shaq is a more experienced player and a better set piece taker. Also Trent was having a mare.

Shaq is a more experienced player and a better set piece taker. Also Trent was having a mare.
I'm not disagreeing with your original point, but a player having a mare in open play does not mean his dead ball technique will suffer. Often it is the opposite.

Just reminds me of that England game against Greece at Old Toilet, where Beckham was hailed England's saviour cos he scored the last minute free kick to secure qualification. The fact he had played utter turd through the match and that free kick was his 5th attempt from similar distance, was conveniently forgotten.

My point is ... f'ck knows what my point is.

Have City gone 5 games with 2 points and 1 goal scored this season? Have the Mancs? Leicester? Spurs?
If they have, fair point ... If not, then ...
No idea, but they have had bad spells. Spurs couldn't buy a win from when we beat them til about the end of December, for example

I'm not disagreeing with your original point, but a player having a mare in open play does not mean his dead ball technique will suffer. Often it is the opposite.

Just reminds me of that England game against Greece at Old Toilet, where Beckham was hailed England's saviour cos he scored the last minute free kick to secure qualification. The fact he had played utter turd through the match and that free kick was his 5th attempt from similar distance, was conveniently forgotten.

My point is ... f'ck knows what my point is.
During the game it wasn't working out for Trent and in the end he was just forcing it.

During the game it wasn't working out for Trent and in the end he was just forcing it.

This is true. Or you could interpret it as not giving up. But it wasn't working for him nor any others, really.

That we end up with the same patterns around the box and a cross into a congested area time and again is something we need to change.
What players could offer something different against these low blocks?

Physical presence in the box, quality shots from distance, unlocking passes, smart movements.
Some more patience is also needed, drawing teams upfield. But this is hard when we are set up with the players we currently have, experts on the counter, when in space.

I always look forward to the Inside Training videos when the players play rondos at breakneck speed... then I tune in to our recent matches to see Trent waiting and waiting to play his next Hollywood ball instead of the closest simplest option, only to slam it into the foot of a covering defender.

We're an ace counter attacking side and do well against the teams that come at us. Yesterday Burnley defending brilliantly for the most part and their keeper is great. As has been said, the lack of fans puts even less pressure on these sides to step up so they play their well drilled anti football with zero stress, and while our more creative players are out of form and knackered it's working. What it isn't is the end of the world. We've had a few shit draws and two defeats all season, with an injury list the size of Jupiter. We're more likely to score against more ambitious teams so I wouldn't worry about this next set of fixtures as much as the last few.

Still think he should have started Minamino over Origi though.

3 defeats like...

Anyway, real battle on for top 4. We've been found out and teams know how to nullify us.

I don't think it's a case of being unable to break down teams who park the bus anymore under Klopp.

We were doing OK with these teams last year and the year before. It's not like teams were coming to Anfield and going toe to toe with us. Teams came, sat back and were ultimately beaten by the odd goal. We won a lot of games by 1 goal last year. Why?

A number of factors besides the usual confidence/form/injuries:

1) We sustained attacks better. Having Fab in DM enables this.

2) We played with more energy and desire. Having Hendo in CM allows for this. The Anfield crowd also helps with this when the energy is low. Klopp came with the mantra of "bringing the noise" and "reactivating the fans". Liverpool more than any other top side rely on their crowd. Our results against Wolves and Spurs somewhat speak to this.

3) Trent and Robbo played more aggressively. Having CBs with pace who can go 2 v 2 at the back helps with this.

4) We played faster and with more risk in general. Having a competent backline and midfield helps with this. Right now, everything is so measured and controlled. We're essentially playing a shitter version of Man City's gameplan, but we seem to need to do this, because we're afraid we can't defend counter attacks as well.

5) Long ball from the back. However many times did Virg and even Lovren (when he played) hit that straight or diagonal long ball which kept teams honest and meant they had to drop off. This can create space in the midfield and for Bobby to pick up spaces between the lines.

6) Set pieces. Teams can afford to give us 20 set pieces a game now without the biggest aerial threat (Virgil) in the PL now in the box. Just his presence alone creates space for others like Mane and Matip. In tight games, the odd set piece can be the difference between beating Burnley 5-0 and losing 1-0.

I'm not sure this is as big of a disaster as some are making out, we are due a win and when we get it, we've got players more than capable of capitalising on the impetus and getting some momentum built as a result.

Trent needs a kick up are arse, Ox & div need binning and Thiago needs pushing 20 yards further up the pitch.

We will be a very different proposition in 3/4 weeks time with Jota. We also missed Hendo yesterday. Lastly, we are going to be funky this season - VVD was a fucking man mountain for us, missing a player of his calibre and not having a quality replacement will always hurt you. as will losing Fabinhos combative nature in midfield and passing range.

All will be good.

We're an ace counter attacking side and do well against the teams that come at us. Yesterday Burnley defending brilliantly for the most part and their keeper is great. As has been said, the lack of fans puts even less pressure on these sides to step up so they play their well drilled anti football with zero stress, and while our more creative players are out of form and knackered it's working. What it isn't is the end of the world. We've had a few shit draws and two defeats all season, with an injury list the size of Jupiter. We're more likely to score against more ambitious teams so I wouldn't worry about this next set of fixtures as much as the last few.

Still think he should have started Minamino over Origi though.

If I could just kiss your knob for one second - yes I like this post. But I am really confused as to what we an do, it's not a lack of trying but these teams - nearly all of them - if you think WBA, Southampton, Newcastle, and now Burnley - they all defend with their lives against us - so well drilled so fucking stuck in their positions, and I don't know what else we try to move these cunts out of position for one second to create a clear shot. I wish Origi's shot had just gone in - and we did not have this conversation. But hey we are still in the top 4 so not all that bad. Just need to score a bloody goal - just one goal and I think the team will be fired up again.

Liverpool's six Premier League defeats since the start of last season:

Watford - No Henderson
Man City
Arsenal - No Henderson
Villa - No Henderson
Southampton - Henderson CB, not in midfield
Burnley - No Henderson
They were all probably no Minamino too ...

We should stick Adrian back in goal to entice the other team to come out of their half.

Get him to play keepie upsies on the 18 yard line should do it.

Ideas like this are worth more to the club than the throw in coach.

They should hire you.

We are an emotion drive squad. I think our best period coincided with getting some fans in the stands. Just another possible reason why our levels are so low.

You know what I always think about us. We are the PL equivalent of that clever twat in school who has a load of mates that back him up . He's a bit of a cunt but he's there for his mates if they need him. When deserted though and has no back and shit gets real - Lilly livered whopping tart. Fucking zero balls.

If I'm going with the school analogy what I would like in the squad is a proper grunty cunt. A snarler. Someone who crunches into things but is smart enough to get away with it (see Ramos) How about one of those massive whopping cunts that hide behind the big boys but are the first to pin the victim down while some else smashes the shite of them. So basically what I'm say is we need a couple of cunts in the team to shake tings up. Robbo does a fucking sterling job so gets a pass. More like him please.

P.s Forgive the violent pipe dream but I'm missing my Gibson ES-335. Headstock snapped last night just as we lost. Fucking cunt of a night. I'm off for an elderflower cordial. Fucking bollocks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom