• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rodgers radio interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spending 11 for q rival when we could have used those funds for a world class cb or the barca thiago lad....

Rodgers is bullshitting. He wants to sell Reina like a sea lion wants to visit an underwater sushi restaurant.

Highlights:

* Rodger compares Luis Alberto to Coutinho. Calls him a "Coutinho type signing".

* Mignolet will not be signed to be Reina's replacement. Competition for places. (bullshit)

* Kolo Touré, replacement for Carra. Strong, fit experienced player.

* Iago Aspas, quick, dynamic, aggressive in his game and he's got a winning mentality.

* Rodgers wants players who fit his model. Players who are hungry to succeed.

* Carroll is a terrific player, but doesn't fit our model. He wanted to play regularly.

* On Suarez future, hasn't spoken to Luis, the club is in control of the situation. It's up to the club.

* On Gerrards injury, he's progressing and should be fit for the start of the season.

On Toure Rodgers also said he admired him as a player for some time and thought he was one of the key players in the Arsenal "Invincibles" team.

And he told Reina a few months before the end of the season that in the summer they are going to sign a goalkeeper to give him strong competition. I wonder if Reina's improvement in form coincided with that conversation?

Pretty much a transcript from the radio interview:

Rodgers was delighted to complete the transfer and believes Alberto can follow in the footsteps of January signing Coutinho, who made an instant impact at Anfield after arriving from Inter Milan.
The boss told talkSPORT:
"He's another Coutinho-type. We brought in young Philippe Coutinho in January when he was 20 years of age but he had good experience and more importantly fitted the profile of what we're trying to do here and what we're trying to build.

"Young Luis is exactly the same - a talented, very highly-rated young player when he was at Sevilla, but obviously spent last season at Barcelona B.

"He's a big talent and one for now that can play. He's got competitive games behind him and is one we see progressing over the next few years.
"Importantly, he knows the type of game and model we're trying to work in."

"Kolo Toure is a player I've admired since he came into the Premier League. He was a wonderful servant for Arsenal and a part of that 'Invincibles' group and did exceptionally well, and in the transformation of Manchester City, they brought him in as one of their key players.

"We're losing an absolute colossal player in Jamie Carragher, who was absolutely brilliant for me. It's very, very hard to replace that type.

"Kolo Toure will give us that experience and winning mentality. He's still very fit, very strong and will come in, offer that support and fight for his place in the team.

"Iago Aspas was one of the stars for Celta Vigo. He's a goalscorer, he's quick, dynamic, aggressive in his game and has a winning mentality.

"I feel these are the types of players that can come into Liverpool and keep our momentum moving forward. Players that are hungry to succeed, because that's important for us.

"We have to bring in players that are willing to fight for the shirt and these players are very much hungry to do that."

Having been busy in the transfer market so far this pre-season, Rodgers was eager to pay tribute to the work going on behind the scenes at Anfield to ensure Liverpool land their targets.
Indeed, the manager admits the Reds entered into the summer break consciously looking to get their business done as quickly as possible.

"There has been a lot of great work gone on over the last six months," explained Rodgers. "We wanted to get as much of our work done as early as we possibly could for the summer so we could get the group back in and get the players together as quickly as we can.
"It's been a good summer for us so far."

He continued: "I think every club and every manager would love to get it [transfer business] done as early as they possibly could. We had made a conscious effort this summer to do that.

"It's great credit to everyone at the club and our recruitment team, our analytical team, Ian Ayre our managing director and the owners who have backed us really well.

"There has been a lot of work that has gone on and a lot of people sacrificing holidays to ensure we can get the players in we want."

FFS, how do you know we're not getting one? IT'S JUNE!!!! For like, the fucking millionth time you moaning git.

yeah, agree it was an over reaction, but its just that i care a lot, not saying others don't, and genuinely worried why we are forking out so much money on a position which has a very capable person in it already.

Mignolet and aspas were fighting relegation, how do they have a winning mentality someone please explain?

I'm starting to think this will be a great season! But then again I always do pre-season...

One thing for sure is if they were weak mentality, they would've curved in under pressure instead of standing out in their respective struggling teams. I think winning mentality isn't just about winning matches. Football is a team game (well, unless we're talking about the likes of Messi :p). It's more to do with mental strength, desire, perseverance and determination.

Henchoz joined us from relegated Blackburn (98/99). Rooney's Everton escaped relegation by 6 pts (03/04) and signed for Man Utd the following season. Johnson joined us from Portsmouth having survived relegation after 08/09 season. Reina (02/03 Villarreal), Hyypia (96/97 Willem II), Enrique (08/09 Newcastle) were involved in relegation threatened seasons too.

Zlate reckons it is impossible to have a winning mentality if your team fought relegation.

Roy Keane got relegated with Nottingham Forest didn't he?

you can't compare Suarez to aspas or Mignolet.

Suarez played for Ajax who were use to winning nearly every game, we won more games than lost, Mignolet and aspas were each playing trying to stay in the top league.

can't compare them as situation is clearly different and anyone who thinks different obviously has no idea about mentality.

regardless of it you are cristiano Ronaldo playing for reading, he'd be losing each week so how would his mentality be a winning 1?

By still doing his best to win every time he played, regardless of how the team was doing overall.

Take some friendly advice mate. When you're in a hole, stop digging.

In that case, Suarez's 'winning mentality' was rather useless, seeing we finished with fewer points in his 1st full season with us.

Sorry, Binny, but that's silly. Without him we would have finished with far fewer still.

Quite, this echoes Rosco on this, the point is being missed. Our best players, with more quality around them, could prove the difference at the top of the table, the likes of Suarez, Coutinho and Gerrard (a few years ago) are match winners. Our issue has always been a lack of real quality around our best players, the gap between the likes of your Lucas's etc is significant. We need to bridge that gap and improve on what we have.

Quite, this echoes Rosco on this, the point is being missed. Our best players, with more quality around them, could prove the difference at the top of the table, the likes of Suarez, Coutinho and Gerrard (a few years ago) are match winners. Our issue has always been a lack of real quality around our best players, the gap between the likes of your Lucas's etc is significant. We need to bridge that gap and improve on what we have.

No it doesn't.

I've said all throughout the time we've been in midtable a number of players have been regulars - those players can funk off any time they like. Lucas, Johnson, Reina, Skrtel, Agger, Carragher, Gerrard. No matter what we've put around those players we've been shit. Yet when you suggest selling them people say there our best players and have to be kept, which is bullshit.

No it doesn't.

I've said all throughout the time we've been in midtable a number of players have been regulars - those players can funk off any time they like. Lucas, Johnson, Reina, Skrtel, Agger, Carragher, Gerrard. No matter what we've put around those players we've been shit. Yet when you suggest selling them people say there our best players and have to be kept, which is bullshit.

There's probably three of those players I've said we should keep, so don't tarnish me with the same. Keeping your best players is hardly a laughable suggestion, you build around your best. Of course you can do the math and say that selling can be equally productive, but that's just one way, it's not THE way as you always seem to profess.

There's probably three of those players I've said we should keep, so don't tarnish me with the same. Keeping your best players is hardly a laughable suggestion, you build around your best. Of course you can do the math and say that selling can be equally productive, but that's just one way, it's not THE way as you always seem to profess.

If your best players can only get you to seventh, you always sell them when silly offers come in.

If you're in contention for the league it changes your approach somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom