• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

SCM Golf Club

Dreambeliever

From Doubter to Believer (to doubter again)
So as some of you who are my friends on FB know I've taken up gold in the last 8 months and am finding it more addictive than the Torres song of yester year.

So it made me curious to see who among us plays and what are the handicaps.

Do we have any single figure handicappers?

Would be interesting to hear people's stories on how their golf journey started and how it is going.

I started with a handicap of 28.2

After 7 months its down to 20.0 and dropping.

I just had a massive weekend of golf where I played my first ever Handicap Pennant match beating my opponent 7/6, picked up the player of the year in a social golf comp that ran for 4 months with 70 players, dropping my unofficial handicap in that series from 26 to 13.

Then yesterday I won a state final for C grade handicappers 15.5 - 36 and will be heading to the Bonville Golf Resort in NSW to represent team Victoria in the national final in a 2 day event. Apparently this resort is called the Augusta of Australia so I am pumped!

Feel free to share your golf journey, accomplishments or funny stories.

Maybe one day we could have a SCM Golfies to go along with Drinkies!

Good on you Dreamdog. You getting lessons?

I've been playing for 20 years. My golflink's currently 3.8, the lowest it's ever been. Although I've just had a child, so my chances of playing golf once in the forseeable future are about as slim as my chance of keeping that handicap.

Where do you play?

Good on you Dreamdog. You getting lessons?

I've been playing for 20 years. My golflink's currently 3.8, the lowest it's ever been. Although I've just had a child, so my chances of playing golf once in the forseeable future are about as slim as my chance of keeping that handicap.

Where do you play?

I've had one clinic which was four 30 minute group lessons. Was good but need to put it in practice as with most lessons you don't want to put it into practice while you are competing in comps or it will ruin your swing etc...

20 years! You must have been a privileged child as joining fees and annual fees at home were astronomical when I was kid in Ireland. It's eased off massively now with the recession but 20 years ago it cost a fortune to play.

3.8 is superb. One of the lads at my club is off 3.8 and he hits his low irons like a pro, he just can't putt for toffee.

Ya I'm lucky I haven't had kids yet and I took it up in the off season for football so I could play 3/4 times a week.

I get really good discount rates through work for Burnley so I'm a member there. It's the best of the 9 holes public courses but obviously a long way off anything decent.

I'm trying to play all the good and challenging courses to keep my handicap accurate and not skewed by playing the same short course week in week out.

So far I've played the following with Yarra Yarra being my favourite by far.

Growling Frog (tough in the wind)
Huntingdale (loved it, shot 37 points in the Golf link series)
Woodlands (toughest course couldn't keep the ball on the greens and the bunkers were rock solid)
Spring Valley (bit disappointed had heard great things)
Waterford Valley (one of the best public course I've played so far), love the 18th)
Kingston Links ( Superb fairways, it was pissing down so we were the only ones on the course)
Goonewarra (A bit far out for me but a nice 72 hole course)
Melton ( average at best)
Yarra Yarra (fastest greens I've played on they were lightening)
Albert Park (flat and boring )
Yarrabend (best course in the CBD area for public access)
Burnley (short 9 hole par 66, but yet to have a pro break 60 on it in the four pro am's its had)
RACV Torquay ( Another windy challenge and the back 9 was more like a pitch and put course with every fairway crossing over each other)

Playing the National next Tuesday so that should be good and obviously off to Bonville in May.

I'm guessing you are a member at either the Common Wealth or Spring Valley?

You both should play Dunes down near Mornington, if you haven't played it already.
I only played it once and that was fifteen years ago but seem to remember it as excellent, far and away the best I played in Melbourne.

You both should play Dunes down near Mornington, if you haven't played it already.
I only played it once and that was fifteen years ago but seem to remember it as excellent, far and away the best I played in Melbourne.
Certainly on my hot list, the top 2 public courses are in Tasmania so I've booked a chartered trip down there to play both over 2 days with 7 other lads. Really looking forward to that as it's supposed to be better than the Dunes

I play there quite often. I'm actually trying to get into the Dunes Medal this year - http://www.thedunes.com.au/cms/major-events/dune-medal/ - Australia's biggest Amateur event. McIlroy, Jason Day, Baddeley, etc have all played in it.

You have to have a handicap under 4 to enter it, so I need to keep playing.

I'm a member at Moonah dreamy.

I play there quite often. I'm actually trying to get into the Dunes Medal this year - http://www.thedunes.com.au/cms/major-events/dune-medal/ - Australia's biggest Amateur event. McIlroy, Jason Day, Baddeley, etc have all played in it.

You have to have a handicap under 4 to enter it, so I need to keep playing.

I'm a member at Moonah dreamy.

Ah right down the coast a bit. I got a heap of vouchers for it recently on Scoopon so looking forward to playing there.

Just don't play any events and your handicap won't move.

Ah right down the coast a bit. I got a heap of vouchers for it recently on Scoopon so looking forward to playing there.

Just don't play any events and your handicap won't move.

Heh, yeah, problem with that though is I'll turn up for the tournament and play like a fuckin hack.

I've played on and off over the past 3-4 years with no sustained periods of play. I had my first lesson when I was on holiday in Barbados which taught me a couple of things i'd literally never done in my swing before (like rolling your hands!!) and it made a remarkable difference. Since then I was hugely enjoying my golf, still very inconsistent but with a lot more good holes. My last round was my best, and it was my first ever under 100. Out in 44, back in 54! Like a boss.

It was a day of mixed emotions as we teed off very early in order to watch the football in the clubhouse.. it was Liverpool vs Chelsea. I was pretty gloomy after that! Once I stop rowing i'll be digging the clubs out and playing much much more. It is such a good way to spend time.

I'm off 14 at the mo. Only use a 3 wood off the tee and that's working for me. What's not is my approach play. Considering I'm playing from the fairway more often than not, Im just not finding the green in reg enough. Putting is now better than average.

Could do better is the mantra! Practising more would of course help!

I've played on and off over the past 3-4 years with no sustained periods of play. I had my first lesson when I was on holiday in Barbados which taught me a couple of things i'd literally never done in my swing before (like rolling your hands!!) and it made a remarkable difference. Since then I was hugely enjoying my golf, still very inconsistent but with a lot more good holes. My last round was my best, and it was my first ever under 100. Out in 44, back in 54! Like a boss.

It was a day of mixed emotions as we teed off very early in order to watch the football in the clubhouse.. it was Liverpool vs Chelsea. I was pretty gloomy after that! Once I stop rowing i'll be digging the clubs out and playing much much more. It is such a good way to spend time.

Ya the first time you crack 100 is superb!! I have a load of things to change in my swing after my lessons.

A rubbish swing has gotten me to 20 but I'll have to change it to get lower.

So you is already learning to cheat at dis golf shizzle?

Ha not at all. By the sounds of it when you get that low not playing comps is the worst thing you can do because nothing focuses you like a comp.

But if Ryan wants to play and needs to keep his handicap low its his best bet.

I'm off 14 at the mo. Only use a 3 wood off the tee and that's working for me. What's not is my approach play. Considering I'm playing from the fairway more often than not, Im just not finding the green in reg enough. Putting is now better than average.

Could do better is the mantra! Practising more would of course help!

From 120m and in I'm very consistent at finding the green, outside of that and lose height dramatically in my shots so struggle on protected greens.

Bought a 60c lob wedge wih 6c bounce which has been superb around the green.

Back
Top Bottom