• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

See here's to you, Andrew Robertson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club...bertson-talks-being-cut-dream-move-to-anfield
[article]Andrew Robertson believes Jurgen Klopp is an admirer of his unique journey to Liverpool after overcoming some major setbacks along the way.

Robertson completed an £8 million switch, which could rise to £10m, to Anfield last week and is part of Liverpool's squad for their training camp in Germany.

The Scotland international was released by his boyhood Celtic at 15 and had to re-climb the ladder via the Scottish third division, while working a part-time job.

The 23-year-old sat down with reporters at Liverpool's team hotel in the picturesque town of Rottach-Egern to discuss his footballing upbringing, move to Liverpool and more.

Q: We've seen your name linked with Liverpool for the past two years. When did you first realise that the move might actually be a reality?

A: It's probably been in the press a long time. I've been liked probably since my season in the Championship with Hull. To finally end up in the shirt is a massive honour, but one of relief as well after long talk about it. Everyone talks to you, but you don't really know much about it till obviously it happens. It's hard because there are scouts at every game. They can tell your agent or whoever they are looking at you, but you never really know. I'm sure they go there with an open mind and it is about who catches their eye. That's the nature of football. You don't take too much attention until there is a formal bid. There was a lot of speculation about it but that's football. You just need to get your head down, work hard and make it a reality.

Q: When you signed, Klopp mentioned you had an "incredible personal story". Can you tell us about your route to Liverpool?

A: I was at Celtic till I was 15. Like what happens at a lot of other clubs, players get released, and I was no different. It was the point where people were going full-time and, at the time, they didn't think I was quite ready. That was their decision. I then went down to Queen's Park and stayed there in the youths for three years, grew and went through all that. Luckily, I had one season in the first team when Rangers had just been put down to the third division, so there was a lot more TV time for the third division. I managed to move to Dundee United. The rest is history. At Dundee United I managed to go in and do everything that maybe they didn't quite expect. Luckily, in the first season I just hit the ground running and I made the position my own. Then the English came calling. Steve Bruce managed to get hold of me. It was probably the same again. I remember Liam Rosenior getting injured the day before the Premier League start. I wasn't probably meant to start, but Steve Bruce gave me the nod and said: 'Go on, do what you can do'. I haven't really looked back since Hull.

Q: Was there a crossroads moment where you're not sure whether you're going to make it?

A: Of course. Queens Park was amateur so you do not get paid. You need to make a living with that, so for the first few years when I was in the youth side it was fine because I was still at school. Then when I left school I broke into the first team. I was grateful to my Mum and Dad because they said we will give you this season to try and push on and make that dream a reality, but after that you might have to look at other options. Luckily it all fell into place nicely.

Q: You say you weren't getting paid at Queen's Park, you had to have a part-time job, didn't you?

A: When I was at Queens Park I worked in Hampden Park. We trained twice a week at night and played games on Saturday, so I was working nine-to-five and then having to train at six. I was 18. I was in the corporate side of things. There was a guy Andy McGlennan who had worked at Queen's Park for years. He was high up at Hampden, so sorted a lot of the boys out with jobs. He looked after us and made sure I had some money in my pocket with a bit of hard work. He knew what the dream was and he backed me, so did my Mum and Dad. I eventually got the move to Dundee United and it all fell into place.

Q: Was your story what Klopp honed in on when you spoke to him for the first time?

A: Yes, I think the manager wants to know the person as well as he knows the footballer. He was asking me about my story. He told me about himself and wanted to know all about me. I saw the quotes when I signed and he obviously liked my journey from the very bottom of Scottish football to where I am now. That's what has driven me along every season.

Q: What were the reasons for Celtic letting you go? It must have provided you with the determination to bounce back and make it...

A: There was a transition going on at Celtic at the time where a new head of youth had come in. I didn't fit his bill. He came from Motherwell who were full of big lads and were physical. That wasn't my game. I was small. I'm not big now but it took me time to grow and fill out. He saw a small guy playing centre-mid, left-mid or left-back at that time who was quite weak. To be fair, I was but I believed in my ability. Looking back on it now, it was the best thing that could have happened to me. I didn't like him for it but it was the best decision for me.

Q: Have you been in touch with that person who let you go?

A: I don't want them being in touch just because of what's happened now, because would they be in touch if it worked out the other way and I was a PE teacher at a school somewhere? No. Being rejected was quite hard because I was a Celtic fan from birth but it's really helped me become the man I am. It took nearly a full season to get over that disappointment if I'm being honest. My first year at Queen's Park, I just wasn't good enough -- I was nowhere near the standard required. But like I said, that tough period shaped me. I've had a few doubters since then, but you've just got to continuously prove them wrong because if you are, it means you're doing things right.

Q: Do you expect to be first-choice left-back this season?

A: I want to be. I think I said it in my first interview when I joined, I don't like it if I'm not part of the starting XI. I don't like sitting on the bench even when it was very rare at Hull to rest during cup games. I'm a good spectator, I'm a nightmare when I'm injured and I'm not playing. I've come here wanting to be first choice and it's obviously up to the manager as the competition will be big for the position, but it's one I'm hoping to come out on top in. I respect the other players and I know how good a job they can do but I've just got to bring my A-game and hopefully it's enough for me to first choice.[/article]

Riise is on the LFC top 20 PL toppscorer list. I think he is too much of himself at times, but no way should be be at a shitlist containing the likes of Konchesky and Dossena.

The very worst riise could ever be described as by our fans is average surely?

At his worst he was still decent

The very worst riise could ever be described as by our fans is average surely?

At his worst he was still decent

Sure... when you ser what out socalled fans calls quite good players I am sure that decent ones get away with "average " ;-)

In terms of his whole career at LFC, Riise is surely quite far above Joey Jones (who tends to get an easy ride because of his attitude) in terms of typical level of performance, and I'd also rate him much higher than the likes of David Burrows and Bjornebye. So I guess I'd put him on the same level as Steve Staunton: not a great defender, but a generally reliable left back who was also effective taking the ball forward.

In terms of his whole career at LFC, Riise is surely quite far above Joey Jones (who tends to get an easy ride because of his attitude) in terms of typical level of performance, and I'd also rate him much higher than the likes of David Burrows and Bjornebye. So I guess I'd put him on the same level as Steve Staunton: not a great defender, but a generally reliable left back who was also effective taking the ball forward.
Yup

I find JAR very hard to sum up as a player. He wasn't a bad LB and there have been times when he's shipped more stick than he deserved, but AFAIC there's sometimes a degree of rewriting history that also goes on when he's discussed, perhaps because (rightly) he's held in high affection by LFC fans generally. His main strength was always going forward (his best position IMO would have been wing-back and I actually felt he'd have done better as a LM than as a standard LB) and opposition teams quite often targeted his wing as a focal point for their attacks. He also benefited immeasurably from playing outside one of our all-time greats in the hulking great shape of Sami Hyypiä, who - though he'd probably deny it, knowing him - pulled JAR's fat out of the fire on numerous occasions. JAR's unquestionably better than some LBs we've fielded over the years, but I wouldn't rate him as highly as some of you folks do.

I thought it was a decent debut, one shot on goal, an "almost assist" and a couple more nice passes in 45 minutes. He pushed up high, as full-backs in Klopp's system must do, and seemed very eager and composed. One poor defensive episode, where he didn't sprint back in time, used his speed to catch up to the Esswein and challenge him in the penalty area, but then allowed the clever cross between his legs. Let's see if this was an isolated episode or something that hints at larger problems.

Last edited:
I find JAR very hard to sum up as a player. He wasn't a bad LB and there have been times when he's shipped more stick than he deserved, but AFAIC there's sometimes a degree of rewriting history that also goes on when he's discussed, perhaps because (rightly) he's held in high affection by LFC fans generally. His main strength was always going forward (his best position IMO would have been wing-back and I actually felt he'd have done better as a LM than as a standard LB) and opposition teams quite often targeted his wing as a focal point for their attacks. He also benefited immeasurably from playing outside one of our all-time greats in the hulking great shape of Sami Hyypiä, who - though he'd probably deny it, knowing him - pulled JAR's fat out of the fire on numerous occasions. JAR's unquestionably better than some LBs we've fielded over the years, but I wouldn't rate him as highly as some of you folks do.
It's also worth noting, as someone posted in the match thread, that Klopp gave instructions to the midfielders not to help him out as he wanted to see him under pressure. Seems he did well overall.

I thought it was a decent debut, one shot on goal, an "almost assist" and a couple more nice passes in 45 minutes. He pushed up high, as full-backs in Klopp's system must do, and seemed very eager and composed. One poor defensive episode, where he didn't sprint back in time, used his speed to catch up to the Esswein and challenge him in the penalty area, but then allowed the clever cross between his legs. Let's see if this was an isolated episode or something that hints at larger problems.

He looked impressive in that video, I doubt it tells the full story, but the thing that excites me most is that he's clearly a good crosser of the ball, and he does it from his left foot and opposed to Milner who has to check back onto his right. That cross we saw him do in this video, I can see him doing that a lot this season, and I can see Salah / Firmino profiting greatly off of it, +1 on the excitement scale for me.

I think its really great that we have focused our attention this off season on RM and LB.

They were definitely the two biggest problem areas last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom