• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sepp kicking up a fuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, someone has to come up with the dough and so far no one has. I don't know

If he can pass it sideways or 2m forwards with accuracy he should be fine
We will sell for less than £40 million. He won’t be sticking around.

He might sell salah and stick Trent on the wing if he's playing half the formations being listed here

We've fucked up several times with young CB's before by not giving them enough time to develop.
Ayala, Paletta, San Jose, am I missing someone?
Maybe even Martin Kelly, if he had someone other than the defensive mastermind Rodgers managing him in his formative years.

I can understand where Sepp's frustration is coming from. The work is done from our side, it's time to throw him into the deep end and see if he floats.
Coates?

Maybe even Martin Kelly, if he had someone other than the defensive mastermind Rodgers managing him in his formative years.

Nah. He was Thiago /Naby levels of injury prone

I think Slot had said we're not going to turn into Feyenoord 2.0 and would he really neuter Trent? Don't see it.

I didn’t say he would neuter Trent - where’d you get that idea from.

Slot uses high wide FB’s and inverted FB’s - his system seems be a lot less rigid than Klopps - but again, the tweak will be he’d prefer to progress the ball quickly into the attacking third with short, quick passing rather than Trent hitting long passes. That’s more about percentages and retention.

Trent will likely be encouraged to get forward as he has under Klopp, but the difference, I expect is you won’t see Trent getting the ball off the CBs deep or sitting inbetween the CBs like as much.

I think Slott will get him to invert much higher up the pitch - as I said it’ll be a lot more fluid - Slot still likes a box midfield, but you might find Trent as more towards the forward end than the defensive end.

Slot hates low percentage long balls, so he’ll have his teams trying to avoid them.

That’s the thing about Slot - it’s hard to pin down his formation - because it’s fluid. You saw that in his first interview with his response to a question about 433.

Slot is more about playing style - players capable of interchanging positions, ball retention, short quick passing and overloading the “danger zone” - the space in front of the opposition box.

He’s like the anti-Mourinho - he was clear that controlling that space in front of his own box was critical to winning matches - that’s why his teams generally had a defensive double pivot in front of the back line.

I didn’t say he would neuter Trent - where’d you get that idea from.

Slot uses high wide FB’s and inverted FB’s - his system seems be a lot less rigid than Klopps - but again, the tweak will be he’d prefer to progress the ball quickly into the attacking third with short, quick passing rather than Trent hitting long passes. That’s more about percentages and retention.

Trent will likely be encouraged to get forward as he has under Klopp, but the difference, I expect is you won’t see Trent getting the ball off the CBs deep or sitting inbetween the CBs like as much.

I think Slott will get him to invert much higher up the pitch - as I said it’ll be a lot more fluid - Slot still likes a box midfield, but you might find Trent as more towards the forward end than the defensive end.

Slot hates low percentage long balls, so he’ll have his teams trying to avoid them.

That’s the thing about Slot - it’s hard to pin down his formation - because it’s fluid. You saw that in his first interview with his response to a question about 433.

Slot is more about playing style - players capable of interchanging positions, ball retention, short quick passing and overloading the “danger zone” - the space in front of the opposition box.

He’s like the anti-Mourinho - he was clear that controlling that space in front of his own box was critical to winning matches - that’s why his teams generally had a defensive double pivot in front of the back line.
Well I got the idea from this!

That’s not the point Froggie - we went long and direct more often under Klopp - nothing wrong with that, but Slot’s style is not to go direct or long - it’s short sharp passing, use of the 3rd man, etc. - it won’t be “give it to Trent and see if he can hit Darwin, Robbo or Mo quickly.

However if it's more like what you wrote above then I can get on board with that.

Well I got the idea from this!

However if it's more like what you wrote above then I can get on board with that.

Like I said - he’ll use Trent differently than Klopp - that’s not to diminish him - it’s just not focusing on him pinging long balls from the back - but also not just hanging out wide to whip in crosses.

Well, someone has to come up with the dough and so far no one has. I don't know

If he can pass it sideways or 2m forwards with accuracy he should be fine

It’s not the passing I’m worried about… it’s whether he treats the ball like a hot potato that he needs to get rid of as quickly as possible.

It’s not the passing I’m worried about… it’s whether he treats the ball like a hot potato that he needs to get rid of as quickly as possible.
Someone who played wing-back for 2 seasons should be pretty comfortable with the ball at his feet, I would think.

Someone who played wing-back for 2 seasons should be pretty comfortable with the ball at his feet, I would think.

You’d hope so, even if it was at a lower level - I haven’t seen enough of him to know, but it has been mentioned in other places that is technical ability on the ball wasn’t his strong point.

More than happy if he does a Quansah.

For me the question is - we need a consistent partner for Virgil and he needs to be good enough to play there in a League title chasing team.

A few years back Joe Gomez was good enough, so I can swallow taking a gamble on Quansah or VdB being that person with Gomez & Konate providing back up.

But… there has to be a question about whether they’re good enough right now and wouldn’t be better in a back up role.
I think Quansah done amazingly well - but are we ready to make first choice beside Virgil?

I love big Ibou, but I don’t trust his fitness.

You’d hope so, even if it was at a lower level - I haven’t seen enough of him to know, but it has been mentioned in other places that is technical ability on the ball wasn’t his strong point.

More than happy if he does a Quansah.

For me the question is - we need a consistent partner for Virgil and he needs to be good enough to play there in a League title chasing team.

A few years back Joe Gomez was good enough, so I can swallow taking a gamble on Quansah or VdB being that person with Gomez & Konate providing back up.

But… there has to be a question about whether they’re good enough right now and wouldn’t be better in a back up role.
I think Quansah done amazingly well - but are we ready to make first choice beside Virgil?

I love big Ibou, but I don’t trust his fitness.

I have a feeling that our CBs will be more protected under Slot, so we might be able to allow some development time on the field for a young CB. I love Klopp and I had no issues with his style of play, but it had to be hell for the center backs to play under him.

I like him.

If he keeps this clever self-promotion up, hopefully Kompany or those boys down in London will be enticed to go on a Caicedo/Lavia-style bidding war for Sepp.

Top 3 best defender in the Bundesliga ! 80M minimum no less !

He looks to be developing well as an athlete. Maybe he is strong than it appears, because he still doesn't look like he'd be convincing aerially against a strong striker. But it would be a nice surprise if he were to become a good option at the back.

It looks to be developing well as an athlete. Maybe he is strong than it appears, because he still doesn't look like he'd be convincing aerially against a strong striker. But it would be a nice surprise if he were to become a good option at the back.

Won the second most headers (aerial duels) in the Bundesliga last season (185) among all players. That part of his game has probably developed most of all. 7/10 headers is impressive.

Won the second most headers (aerial duels) in the Bundesliga last season (185) among all players. That part of his game has probably developed most of all. 7/10 headers is impressive.
Concussion / repetitive brain injury / dementia

Here’s my two cents. We’ve been spoiled with VVD being so physically dominant and fast and technically excellent that we can just leave him guarding huge spaces at the back all by himself. Historically this is not what defending in football has been about - teams rarely had defensive unicorns that could be expected to win 10/10 duels and outrun every striker and instead had to rely on good old-fashioned organization and teamwork. And guess what - you still need those qualities in your team even with VVD and there is an argument that sometimes we relied on his and other defenders’ (like Konate) physical qualities too much.

What I’m saying that if someone like Hyypia would not satisfy the criteria we have for a CB than maybe we should adjust the criteria - because I saw Hyypia with my own eyes and he was a fucking great defender and someone I would definitely want in my team. Maybe as we’re thinking about rebuilding our defensive line long-term, a bit more emphasis on teamwork and positioning and protecting spaces wouldn’t hurt - and then perhaps we could accommodate a defender that is not necessarily faster and stronger than every conceivable opponent.

Whether VDB is that defender remains to be seen - but we should be evaluating defenders on their own merits, not necessarily automatically looking for a VVD clone. Just like in attack we shouldn’t try to find a “Salah clone” or a “Firmino clone” - either way you’ll have to build something new, so don’t limit your thinking.

we all know michael edwards is a unicorn hunter though so we’ve nothing to worry about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom