• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

Sky, GAA & Gift Grub

tombrown

Resident grammar Trot
Apparently Sky are about to announce a deal with the GAA to show live matches.

TodayFM did a Gift Grub skit on it this morning with the Sky Soccer Saturday team providing coverage - the best bit was this :

Jeff Sterling : Its over to Nowlan Park and Paul Merson

Merson : It's all kicking off here, Jeff. One of the Waterford lads has just hit a Kilkenny player with his stick, the referee is showing a card ...

Sterling : Is it red or yellow, Merse?

Merson : I don't believe it ... its black!! I think the Waterford lad has been sentenced to death

What's the GAA?

Also, I didn't get that gag at all, I assume it's an Irish in joke?

The GAA is the Gaelic Athletic Association (or the Grab All Association, depending on who you ask). They're the body responsible for Gaelic football, hurling and a few other sports.

The black card is for professional fouls, like hauling a player down while he's on a run towards goal. Although I can't remember much of the details about it.

You have a brave new world coming to you on Sky @FoxForceFive

I've been over here since 1998 and learned to enjoy & even sometimes get excited by the hurling - especially last year when Clare won.

Not such a fan of the football, especially as it means we have to call real football "soccer" to be understood.

You must be doing it wrong.

You need a big stick in your hand for a start.

[article=http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/sky-sports-in-tv3-out-as-gaa-announces-new-broadcasting-package-30145793.html]
Sky Sports has secured 14 live matches as the GAA has announced details of the media rights for the next three years as TV3 loses out in the latest TV deal.

A total of 45 provincial and All-Ireland championship matches will be broadcast live on television annually for the next three years: a total of 31 games will be shown by RTÉ (as per the last contract) and 14 by Sky Sports.

TV3's six year-involvement with broadcasting comes to an end after six years and the decision to award Sky the deal has had mixed reaction among the general public.

The 31 championship games to be televised by RTÉ include the All-Ireland finals and semi-finals in both codes, the All-Ireland hurling quarter-finals, and two of the four All-Ireland football quarter-finals.

RTÉ have also secured the rights to all six Provincial championship finals, while the remainder of the 31 games to be shown live on RTÉ are a mixture of provincial championship and qualifier games. Ulster championship games covered by RTÉ, including the Provincial football final, will also be broadcast on BBC Northern Ireland.

Sky Sports has obtained exclusive Island of Ireland rights to 14 championship games.

These consist of eight Saturday evening matches in the All-Ireland qualifiers, two All-Ireland football championship quarter-finals, and two Saturday evening and two Sunday provincial championship games.

In addition to these 14 games, Sky Sports will also broadcast live the All-Ireland hurling and football semi-finals and finals, thus making 20 live games available to its subscribers throughout Britain and Ireland.

“We’re delighted to be awarded the rights and I’m sure our viewers will be captivated by the thrill and passion of Gaelic Football and Hurling,”Managing Director of Sky Sports Barney Francis said.

"We are excited to be working with the GAA and providing extensive coverage to their exhilarating sports throughout the summer. These matches will join a great line-up of year-round Irish sport on Sky Sports.”

TV3 has expressed it's disappointment with the announcement of the new rights package.[/article]

I wonder will the money go towards rebuilding Casement park in Belfast?

You have to hand it to the GAA, for a organisation that is amateur they have some top notch stadiums.

That sketch is comic gold if your Irish. So fucking funny. 'Hes just got a black card. I think he's been sentenced to death!"

Fucking hilarious. I love the bit at the end where Thommo can't work out the scoring system.

"Hang on Jeff til I get me calculator" lol

"Sterling's" attempted pronunciation of Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh was cool

(and before you ask - no, I cant pronounce it either 🙂)

Back
Top Bottom