• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match Sparta Prague (H) - EL - Thursday 20:00

Alright everyone, it's time for episode #325 of "Modo worries".

I'm starting worry about Xabi coming in and changing everything.
Let me be clear, just like the overwhelming majority of LFC fans, Xabi is my first choice to take over after Klopp.
It's the first name that popped into my head when he announced his departure.
However, I'm starting to wonder if it's really a good idea.
It's funny, I was watching ESPN FC on youtube a few weeks ago and they had Louis Garcia on. When asked who he thought should take over, he goes "Steven Gerrard" and his reasoning is that "it's not the right time for Xabi...yada yada yada...". So I'm thinking, has Luis lost his mind? Is there something going on between Xabi and him? What the hell?!

Anyway, maybe, just maybe Luis is thinking, that Stevie is better suited to manage the current squad and maybe he has a point. Not about Stevie specifically mind you, because that's, pardon my french, bonkers, but he's probably talking about getting someone who favours the same formation and style this squad is adapted to.

Bear with me...

I keep reading posts about how player X is suitable for this position in Xabi's system, and player Y is suitable for that, and we need to sign Z and W for these positions and I think, "really?!" Then why bother getting Alonso?

My fear is, and I know that we've been down this road before, that Xabi comes in and tries to implement too many changes too fast and suddenly we find ourselves in another Souness situation. Now I don't think it can get THAT bad, but do we actually have the patience to allow Xabi to potentially have a bad first season?

And will this hypothetical pressure to perform instantly prevent Xabi from using the potential "Golden generation" that's brewing in the Academy?

Or maybe, it's gonna be the same for whoever we bring in?

Anyway that's enough worrying for today.
Like, subscribe and go fudge yourselves.

Last edited:
Yeah, especially if we hear Alonso tell us how we controlled the game after a nil nil draw.

To be fair, Klopp did prefer playing a system that suited Gakpo over Nunez last season and we got very good results too

Let me be clear, just like the overwhelming majority of LFC fans, Xabi is my first choice to take over after Klopp.
It's the first name that popped into my head when Klopp announced his departure.
It's funny, I was watching ESPN FC on youtube a few weeks ago and they had Louis Garcia on. When asked who he thought should take over, he goes "Steven Gerrard" and his reasoning is that "it's not the right time for Xabi...yada yada yada...". So I'm thinking, has Luis lost his mind? Is there something going on between Xabi and him? What the hell?!

Anyway, maybe just maybe Luis is thinking, that Stevie is better suited to manage the current squad and maybe he has a point. Not about Stevie specifically mind you, because that's, pardon my french, bonkers, but he's talking about getting someone who favours the same formation and style this squad is adapted to.
Bear with me...

I keep reading posts about how player X is suitable for this position in Xabi's system, and player Y is suitable for that, and we need to sign Z and W for these positions and I think, "really?!" Then why bother getting Alonso?

My fear is, and I know that we've been down this road before, that Xabi comes in and tries to implement too many changes too fast and suddenly we find ourselves in another Souness situation. Now I don't think it can get that bad, but do we actually have the patience to allow Xabi to potentially have a bad first season?

And will this hypothetical pressure to perform instantly prevent Xabi from using the potential "Golden generation" that's brewing in the Academy?

I think your fears are perfectly rational, but the idea of Gerrard is crazy. Because someone took the exact same group of players and put them within a handful of points from us. I honestly think he could be our guy.

I think your fears are perfectly rational, but the idea of Gerrard is crazy. Because someone took the exact same group of players and put them within a handful of points from us. I honestly think he could be our guy.
Thanks. Despite how much I adore Gerrardinho, I don't want him managing us. Not closing the door, but he needs to prove himself. There's still time.

Gerrard should be nowhere near managing LFC. Barring a miraculous turnaround, it’s clear he’s simply not good at coaching.

I know Inzaghi deserves some criticism for the way Inter couldn’t get through Atletico, despite mostly outplaying them, but there are many features of his style I feel would be a good match for our key players. I was just watching this video:

View: https://youtu.be/wjsRnL1TaTM?si=YxiAYy19G7x1AUIZ

…and they talk about how a key principle of his game is to cross the ball early before the defence has a chance to set. Unlike Man City, Arsenal etc Inter tend to control the ball in the middle of the park rather than near the opposition penalty area and they create the majority of their chances from deep - that sounds like a perfect fit for Trent. Also the way Inzaghi sees the striker pair is a physical forward who uses his pace to get in behind and unsettle defenders (sounds like Nunez!) and a more creative type who is also the main goalscorer (Lautaro Martinez for Inter or Salah or Jota for us).

I’m really curious what Edwards and his analytics team think of the prospective candidates - technically he won’t start until June, but surely a new manager won’t be hired without his approval. Both Xabi and Inzaghi play a different basic formation to Klopp, but is it possible that the Italian’s style is actually closer to Klopp philosophy-wise?

In Xabi’s defence, I have to say that despite all the stats showing him firmly in the Pep-Arteta camp, from what I’ve seen Bayer is not as tippy-tappy as the other two - much like Inzaghi he relies on overpowering physicality of his wing-backs to break through defensive structures and the movement of the ball seems inspired rather than robotic.

Last edited:
Gakpo was favored over Nunez last season because of our defensive deficiencies in midfield. That's it. Our midfielders were so immobile and spent that they couldn't advance without getting raped on the counter. We played a far less possession based style and we needed gakpo to press, be another body, and pick the ball on the turn and counter.

Anyway, maybe, just maybe Luis is thinking, that Stevie is better suited to manage the current squad and maybe he has a point. Not about Stevie specifically mind you, because that's, pardon my french, bonkers, but he's probably talking about getting someone who favours the same formation and style this squad is adapted to.

Bear with me...

My fear is, and I know that we've been down this road before, that Xabi comes in and tries to implement too many changes too fast and suddenly we find ourselves in another Souness situation. Now I don't think it can get THAT bad, but do we actually have the patience to allow Xabi to potentially have a bad first season?

You're basically saying that you're watching and reading way too much dumb internet/media content

Yeah, especially if we hear Alonso tell us how we controlled the game after a nil nil draw.

To be fair, Klopp did prefer playing a system that suited Gakpo over Nunez last season and we got very good results too
I don't think Xabi's teams do 0-0 draws TBF.

Bear with me...

It IS going to be the same for whoever comes in because it is going to be a be a completely new management team - from top (Edwards) to bottom (the assistant manager's assistant). However that doesn't mean it's going to be a disaster.

As with any new management team there is that potential but if you're starting from a high base (the current squad) and bringing in a proven winner in terms of style (not too dissimilar to our current one - high line, high press, fast breaks, control) and achievement (crushing BM, whilst running away with the BL, setting records and still unbeaten in any competition mid-March) then there's no saying where they could take us. This could be Paisley after Shanks.

Which is why I completely disagree with anyone saying now is not the right time to bring in Xabi and that a virtual 'interim' manager is better. Why? Do you want the team dismantled, a la Souness, before you bring in Xabi?!

You need to make piece with the fact, nobody is Klopp. Nobody will play his style and nobody will get every ounce of ability out of the set of players we have.

Hopefully whoever comes in can get to 90% of the current crops potential and that should be enough once City are fucked off.

It IS going to be the same for whoever comes in because it is going to be a be a completely new management team - from top (Edwards) to bottom (the assistant manager's assistant). However that doesn't mean it's going to be a disaster.

As with any new management team there is that potential but if you're starting from a high base (the current squad) and bringing in a proven winner in terms of style (not too dissimilar to our current one - high line, high press, fast breaks, control) and achievement (crushing BM, whilst running away with the BL, setting records and still unbeaten in any competition mid-March) then there's no saying where they could take us. This could be Paisley after Shanks.

Which is why I completely disagree with anyone saying now is not the right time to bring in Xabi and that a virtual 'interim' manager is better. Why? Do you want the team dismantled, a la Souness, before you bring in Xabi?!
I guess the fear is that Xabi is the one who's going to do the dismantling.
The best form of transition would have been a kind of boot room style transition. Basically the assistant inherits the team. Which obviously isn't going to happen since they're all leaving. The second option would be getting a manager who knows Klopp's style and employs a similar style himself.
Why could this be important?
Has anyone factored in that during this summer basically entire the squad is going to be away at the EURO's and Copa America?
Later on its the Olympics and bye bye Mo.
Great start of whoever comes in.
Let's be honest Xabi is pretty inexperienced. Will he come in and start tinkering a month before the season starts with only Curtis and the kids around? That my worry.
I would not be surprised if Hasenhuttl and Jesse Marsch are among those the club is considering.

Only one thing I hate more than rugby and that's when people call it rugger.
That’s cos you live in Ireland and don’t have to contend with eejuts that consider removing 2 players and taking turns at running head first into each other is Rugby too

I would not be surprised if Hasenhuttl and Jesse Marsch are among those the club is considering.

Is this some kind of attempt at an anti jinx?

Hassenhutl? HASSENHUTL?
You want Hassenhutl to manage the runner ups of the Premier League???

Is this some kind of attempt at an anti jinx?

Hassenhutl? HASSENHUTL?
You want Hassenhutl to manage the runner ups of the Premier League???
Its not about what I want, I'm thinking what the club wants.
Similar style and all...

Throw in Klinsmann too.

Called Juergen
Initials JK
German
Teeth

Fucking perfect
And they're both from the same area in Germany.

Anyway reg the Alpine Klopp:

“[Klopp and I] did our coaching badges together and we know each other very well,” Hasenhüttl told bundesliga.com in an exclusive interview. “I think we appreciate a similar philosophy on football – we want to play a high tempo game, we want our guys to sprint around, press well and these are elements which make the game livelier and varied and get people excited.”

Back
Top Bottom