• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Stanford Twenty20 Cricket

Portly

Brittunculus
I watched the first Stanford Twenty/20 match from Antigua on Sky Sports on Saturday night.

The match was Stanford All-Stars v Trinidad and Tobago. Stanford All-Stars won fairly comfortably. I thought there was a certain lack of tension in the atmosphere, and Chris Gale, who is one of the Stanford All-Stars squad, didn't even play although he was sitting around in the ground. Then towards the end, I discovered it was merely a "warm-up" match with no gazillions of US$ at stake.

Stanford has brought in a number of innovations, most of which are just tacky but one of which is good.

Everyone is playing with black bats. That is, ordinary bats painted black. Why?
The stumps appear to be made out of metal. Why?

However, as regards the umpiring, there is a system whereby the umpires can "consult" with the third umpire (last night it was Rudy Koetzen) over ANY decision. The third umpire has access to the usual technology including "hotspot." This was used for a couple of caught behind decisions, both of which were given not out. I can think of no earthly reason why this cannot be used in all games where the technology is available.

It seems like months since weve played, i cant wait for tonight.

Yes it will be interesting despite all the gimmickry!

Last night, Stanford himself was wandering along past the spectators, pressing the flesh and cuddling small children.

the big game for the cash is next saturday although watching england v middlesex will be a bit strange especially for strauss

It was a shit game.
No bang for your buck.
And the fekkin steelers lost thanks to roethlisberger being a fucking twat all game.

Did you see Mr. Stanford wandering around the crowd, fondling scantily-clad Antiguan maidens in a paternalistic sort of way?

It turned out that this was another meaningless "warm-up" game. Apparently the $20 million game is on Saturday between England and the Stanford Superstars, who are a motley collection of West Indian players.

There must be some element of competition on all the matches that take place this week, but no-one have explained to me how it works.

I think this is a very tacky, shit tournament - fuck off with your black bats - but the one good thing that may come out of it is the system of the umpires "consulting" the third umpire, which is working well.

[quote author=Portly link=topic=28100.msg708050#msg708050 date=1225100121]
Did you see Mr. Stanford wandering around the crowd, fondling scantily-clad Antiguan maidens in a paternalistic sort of way?

It turned out that this was another meaningless "warm-up" game. Apparently the $20 million game is on Saturday between England and the Stanford Superstars, who are a motley collection of West Indian players.

There must be some element of competition on all the matches that take place this week, but no-one have explained to me how it works.

I think this is a very tacky, shit tournament - fuck off with your black bats - but the one good thing that may come out of it is the system of the umpires "consulting" the third umpire, which is working well.
[/quote]

I will still watch it ports, we are a good team to watch at the mo, amazing how many catches were dropped under the lights last night, especially Strauss one ;D

Stanford looked like a right perv with the blondechick and her mates sitting on his knee

I believe that the prize money starts being handed out with tonight's match - Trinidad & Tobago v Middlesex, Antigua, 21:30. I think the winners receive $200,000 so those dropped catches will become more painful.

No doubt from this point, Chris Gale will start playing for the Allstars instead of sitting around posing. ;D

What a shite ground to choose to play theses games at.

Pitch is shite
Outfield is shite.
Floodlights are shite.

Antigua seems an odd choice - it's notorious for flat wickets, Brian Lara scored his record 375 against England in Antigua, but I don't know if it was that ground. I think Stanford probably has a financial interest in that particular island!

The black cricket bats are grating on me. A cricket bat is an aesthetically pleasing object, polished willow with a nice grain. What is the point of dipping them in black paint? You can see that the black paint is beginning to flake off already.

[quote author=Portly link=topic=28100.msg708486#msg708486 date=1225139597]
Antigua seems an odd choice - it's notorious for flat wickets, Brian Lara scored his record 375 against England in Antigua, but I don't know if it was that ground. I think Stanford probably has a financial interest in that particular island!

The black cricket bats are grating on me. A cricket bat is an aesthetically pleasing object, polished willow with a nice grain. What is the point of dipping them in black paint? You can see that the black paint is beginning to flake off already.
[/quote]

Its not the same ground as the one where Lara broke the record twice mate. Its one of the new grounds that were built before the WI held the WC.

I agree with you on the black bats, it just makes them look tatty.

I would have thought for these types of games they would have wanted a pitch that offers the prospect of as many 4's and 6's as possible, but instead they've picked a pitch that makes even the most ordinary spinner look like Warne + If you are lucky enough to hit the ball out of the middle its likely to only be 2/3 runs due to the poor outfield.

nobody is getting big scores there though lads so it cannot be easy.

The main match will be superb, like watching who wants to be a millionaire in its first series, such tension due to the cash

Oh BTW apparently the birds sat on Stanfords knee were WAGs, Cooks and Prior's missus. Apparently it came on the big screen and Prior and Cook looked up and saw it whilst playing, bet they were miffed ;D

The BBC are reporting in sports news that the players were angry when they saw Stanford groping their WAGs on the big screen!

Stanford seems to have a bad attitude that because he is Mr. Moneybags and he seems to own half the island, he can do what he likes. He seems to expect everybody to love him because of the weight of his wallet.

I feel that all this could end in tears! :eek:

[quote author=Portly link=topic=28100.msg708796#msg708796 date=1225184050]
The BBC are reporting in sports news that the players were angry when they saw Stanford groping their WAGs on the big screen!

Stanford seems to have a bad attitude that because he is Mr. Moneybags and he seems to own half the island, he can do what he likes. He seems to expect everybody to love him because of the weight of his wallet.

I feel that all this could end in tears! :eek:
[/quote]

apparently he has apologised now ;D

[quote author=SummerOnions link=topic=28100.msg711452#msg711452 date=1225394820]
I don't want England to win. Really. They're all far too egotistical as it is
[/quote]

all starting in a mo, looking forward to it and I think we will lose

Also, how amazing are the Aussies, looking for the win after Indians get 600

England have surely lost this... will the last person left watching... please turn out the lights!

I find England's participation in this match quite amusing.

ECB does not want English players to play in the Indian Premier League - where all the other world class cricketers are playing for big dosh $$$

But hey, ECB will happily play in a match with $20M at stake.

::) ::) ::)

Sumo, what have you got against the England cricket team?
What fucking ego?
What are you blethering about?
Peiterson aside, whos a bit flashy the other lads are all quiet and humble and decent.
I think you dont know what the fuck your talking about.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=28100.msg713302#msg713302 date=1225623230]
What fucking ego?
Peiterson aside, whos a bit flashy the other lads are all quiet and humble and decent.
[/quote]

I was thinking that too.

How you can wish the England Cricket players to lose based on arrogance when you're a football fan is beyond me. Almost every Premiership footy player is more arrogant than any of their cricket counterparts, & dont even get me started on the England footy team & how arrogont they are, yet we support them.

Heh, mad post.

Roopy's has relevance, but then money talks, we all know that.

I agree with Roopy, we shouldnt have fucking been there, but its hardly the players fault.
Every single player has said although the money would be nice, representing their country means more.
I think cricketers in general deserve a lot more than they get, the crowds are comparable to footballers and the mental strain of being on the far side of the world away from your family for months on end must be hard as fuck.
I respect cricketers a lot more than most footballers.

Im not talking about the game V, we were shit and deserved thrashing, i saw it coming from the warm up games too. Im talking about the bile from young Sumo. Its just bollocks and its really fucking annoyed me. Theyre a good bunch of decent lads without much of an attitude or ego amongst em.
Grrr.

I'm agreeing with you Oncy... I'm saying England aren't pathetic... They just chocked until the intense media pressure. Every single interview was about "What are you going to do with the money" like the game was already won.

The Superstars aka West Indies quietly went about there business as heavy underdogs knowing they had a) the ability and b) home advantage, I also could see it coming.

And for the record, England players WILL be in the IPL next season Roopy.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=28100.msg713302#msg713302 date=1225623230]
What fucking ego?
[/quote]

mm, maybe its the way i support Lancashire much higher than England. Maybe its the way Flintoff and co always try to do cocky shit that gets them run out or whatever. They need to keep level heads to reclaim the ashes, and losing a match like this helps. Also i prefer 5 day games to one day stuff. Thats where i'm coming from.

[quote author=SummerOnions link=topic=28100.msg713407#msg713407 date=1225638976]
What fucking ego?
[/quote]

mm, maybe its the way i support Lancashire much higher than England. Maybe its the way Flintoff and co always try to do cocky shit that gets them run out or whatever. They need to keep level heads to reclaim the ashes, and losing a match like this helps. Also i prefer 5 day games to one day stuff. Thats where i'm coming from.
[/quote]

I agree with the last sentence.

Back
Top Bottom