• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

State of the title race

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the fact that Man City lost gives me hope still for us. It's only October so and we are 3 points short of the lead, and also unbeaten - so its kinda hard to say that Chelsea will win it. We know we have problems in midfield with the injuries, but we already knew that area was going to be a problem considering the number of cripples we have in that area and given the historical evidence that the only fit player we ever had in that area went on a free to PSG.

With Chelsea and City so far a head talent wise I would like to see FSG get the message that we need to invest in the Club player wise. Shift out the Ox, Origi, Gomez. Take what ever we can get for them (Hopefully Newcastle will pay over the top for them, so hoping that they can stay up) and free up funds by getting them off the pay roll. Add to it and pick up players like Jude Bellingham, Ryan Gravenberch, Aurelien Tchouameni,Dusan Vlahovic,Karim Adeyemi etc while we still have Klopp to muold them into top talent and before City, Chelsea, and eventually Newcastle start buying up all the young top talent out there ;just like Real and Barca have been doing for decades now.

One or two players a year. Or It could be once every thirty years before we see the title again. Chelsea will win the PL this season, City need only find another Sergio Agüero,maybe that will be Vlahovic, and with the talent in dept they already have, and the players we will lose to AFCON they will ease into second spot.

It's a more competitive league that's for sure. City and ourselves have regressed slightly. Chelsea strengthened but they had ground to make up.
Then there are a number of teams playing decent football who can take points off of any team. There won't be any 90+ point winners this season. And we are well in the mix.

I see us winning the league because city are toothless and Chelsea seem to be playing some garbage teams. I think they’ll come unstuck when they play better opposition.

Can we win the league with 19 wins and 19 draws.....? :oops:

Problem we have is we're not getting those ugly wins we got so many of back end of last season, we either seem to be smashing teams or drawing.

I think the high 80s or low 90s will win the league. So results like ours and City's will occur more often. It will happen to Chelsea too.

Our defending will cost us the title (and/or too many injuries), City's attack will cost them and I still think Chelsea will drop points by drawing games they shouldn't as well.

We need TAA and Robbo to up their game as neither are playing anywhere near the level they were when we won the league and the CL. It's surprising our attack has been so good without them being at their best as they contributed so much to the attack back then.

We're dropping too many points and getting too many injuries to win it.

Agreed - yes, we are unbeaten but we look fragile and need to hold on to games where we are taking big leads. Losing a 2-0 lead to Brighton at home is terrible. It is great that we are scoring freely but we need to refine the balance.

City have dropped more points than us and you wouldn't write them off just yet, would you? I don't think that's a factor at this stage.

All three teams have flaws. It's the manager that can rectify them the best will probably win the title.

Klopp is hamstrung by injuries and less quality though...

City have dropped more points than us and you wouldn't write them off just yet, would you? I don't think that's a factor at this stage.

All three teams have flaws. It's the manager that can rectify them the best will probably win the title.

No, I'm not because they have a bigger and better squad than we do. How affected will they be by the AFCON?

When the AFCON starts we will become so much weaker. No Salah, No Mane and No Keita. Yes we with have Jota, but will the Ox, or Origi make up for the loss of Salah and Keita...? While Chelsea and City have so much quality in dept that the loss of one or even two players make any real difference to the team they can put out. I think not.
We on the other hand.
People are right though. We can not lose the title in October/Nov'. But January/Feb' we sure will

They have a much deeper squad than us. Plus, they've been away to Chelsea and us. But I don't think City will win it.

If we don't remember how to defend properly by the time Afcon comes around, I agree we could drop out as contenders at that stage.

We just need to win ugly around that time which means keeping clean sheets. It's something we've lost this season and last...

The good thing about this problem we have with leaking goals, its self inflicted, so we can wise up to it. Klopp will sort it and its only fucking October !!!!

The good thing about this problem we have with leaking goals, its self inflicted, so we can wise up to it. Klopp will sort it and its only fucking October !!!!

But is it self inflicted by the fact that our midfielders aren’t good enough?

But is it self inflicted by the fact that our midfielders aren’t good enough?

No - it was just the wrong mix of midfielders due to having no options. We always play with two players in midfield who have defensive capability, but that 2nd half we were forced to play with one in Henderson and Ox, and Jones are the attacking sort. The results we are getting is no different to the types of games we experienced pre CL winning season - i.e. before Fabs joined us. At the moment when we have Fabs + Henderson it is no different to having Gini+Fabs. I wish we could turn Ox into a defensive type - he would be good with his pace plus dribbling ability but I doubt he has the necessary understanding of that position. Henderson and Keita can just about provide some level of shielding for the defense but it's not a durable solution.

No - it was just the wrong mix of midfielders due to having no options. We always play with two players in midfield who have defensive capability, but that 2nd half we were forced to play with one in Henderson and Ox, and Jones are the attacking sort. The results we are getting is no different to the types of games we experienced pre CL winning season - i.e. before Fabs joined us. At the moment when we have Fabs + Henderson it is no different to having Gini+Fabs. I wish we could turn Ox into a defensive type - he would be good with his pace plus dribbling ability but I doubt he has the necessary understanding of that position. Henderson and Keita can just about provide some level of shielding for the defense but it's not a durable solution.

Ox is just not very smart. End of story. This is why he runs into blind alleys over and over. He is a very slow learner.

When the AFCON starts we will become so much weaker. No Salah, No Mane and No Keita. Yes we with have Jota, but will the Ox, or Origi make up for the loss of Salah and Keita...? While Chelsea and City have so much quality in dept that the loss of one or even two players make any real difference to the team they can put out. I think not.
We on the other hand.
People are right though. We can not lose the title in October/Nov'. But January/Feb' we sure will

Chelsea will lose Mendy which could be huge if they face any opponents who attack them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom