• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Steven Gerrard & Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he handled that well but (and it's a small 'but') supporting your player by going 'toe to toe' is probably not the best. 'Side by side' maybe...

I'm being a bit of a tart. He was clearly furious. I've not seen the incident. If that guy did drop some racism bombs - I hope they throw the fucking book at him. Of course, nothing will happen though.

What’s worse? Calling someone a few names or almost taking someone’s eye out and leaving lifetime scars?
SPITTING - THE WORST OFFENCE IN FOOTBALL.

But seriously, I don't think they are really comparable.

One is in an in moment act (of violence, I haven't see it, just the resulting injury). The other is a state of mind and indication of the environment you are living in.

SPITTING - THE WORST OFFENCE IN FOOTBALL.

But seriously, I don't think they are really comparable.

One is in an in moment act (of violence, I haven't see it, just the resulting injury). The other is a state of mind and indication of the environment you are living in.
I’d rather get called every name under the sun which I do on here daily than lose an eye in a heat of the moment act.

I thought Rangers were a disgrace last night - they could have finished with 7 men. How Morelos wasn't even booked when he easily could have had 4 yellow cards in the first half! Patterson too committed 2 definite yellow card fouls in the first half and escaped any punishment.

The ref had a very poor game. There were so many fouls the first 5 minutes that I think he decided to keep his cards in his pockets as otherwise the game would finish 7-aside. Rangers took full advantage of this leniency and tried to kick Slavia off the pitch - a bizarre tactic given Rangers matched Slavia in terms of ability in the first game.

Ironically when the ref issued his first card to a Rangers player it was a poor decision as Kamara's momentum made a collision with the Slavia players inevitable and it should definitely not have been a yellow. The first red came as a surprise to me as Roofe is not a dirty player (unlike Morelos, Paterson, Balogun) but his challenge was awful (if accidental) and he had to go.

I'm very disappointed in Rangers performance because I was very impressed with them in the first leg and was hoping to watch a really good game. Slavia played very well despite the intimidation and I am not at all surprised they went through. They will give Arsenal a tough game, they could win but I think Arse will shade it.

It's very obvious what Kudera said to Kamara and it is deserving of a very long suspension and fine. Because UEFA have no absolute evidence of the crime they might struggle to sanction the player and I'm disappointed that Slavia have not taken strong action against the player e.g. an eight game ban and loss of wages. His teammates and coaching staff should all be disgusted with him; aside from being disgusted just for him being a filthy racist they should also be pissed off that their great run to the quarter finals (beating some very good teams along the way) has been overshadowed by this cunt.

It means rangers are straight into the groups with no qualifier
Except if the team winning this season's Champions league hasn't qualified for next season's competition via their national league finishing position.
It would be quite bittersweet for Stevie if we were to win the Champions league this season only to deprive his Rangers team of an automatic place in the group stages next season.

I would rather get called a name yes than getting kicked in the face.

There is a big gap between subjected to a racist comment and being called a name. We were at the receiving end of a racially motivated abuse five years ago. It affects you in ways you do not expect. Even to this day when we see a person who has a similar haircut and build, we tense up. Given how much it has affected us, I honestly would have preferred being kicked in the face as long as I am not blinded.

Last edited:
That's said from a place of privilege though, like I've been punched in the face but I've never been racial abused. I'm not sure which feels worse.
True although I do get abuse constantly being Irish in Australia. Granted not racism and not to that level but I’d still take any form of verbal abuse over physical. Fuck it I’ve had nothing but verbal (often nasty) abuse on here for 10 years and it hasn’t bothered me enough to fuck off.

There is a big gap between subjected to a racist comment and being called a name. We were at the receiving end of a racially motivated abuse five years ago. It affects you in ways you do not expect. Even to this day when we see a person who has a similar haircut and build, we tense up. Given how much it has affected us, I honestly would have preferred being kicked in the face as long as I am not blinded.
I’ve been mugged badly once in my life. I’d take any form of mental abuse over it but of course everyone is different and I cannot even begin to comprehend what it would be like being a white person born in a first world country

Think you missed the point, you don’t have to pick something over it. It’s a case if something is bad, it’s bad. Soon as people try to deviate, then you begin to normalise it. Just stick to the alleged instance.
In Kamara’s case it won’t be the first time or the last time on a field he has faced this, and probably the same for the coward who did it while covering his mouth “allegedly” and I’m sure his club/manager would back him up in the strongest terms. Let’s face it, how often people just own up to this sort of thing..

I would rather get called a name yes than getting kicked in the face.
The point was - why did you even compare the incidents? A guy was assaulted another was racially abused, there is no need to go into a comparison as it then belittles the racist abuse. In fact that is the mantra of racists themselves " get over yourself, it's only a little name calling".

Obv I am not accusing you of that, but every time racism is dismissed like that, it gives license to the racists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom