• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Steven Gerrard & Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was expecting a friendly vs. us.

Rangers Pre-Season Calendar

Monday July 5 – Partick Thistle (A) 7pm

Saturday July 10 – Tranmere Rovers (A) 12:30pm

Saturday July 17 – Arsenal (H) 2pm

Wednesday July 21 – Blackpool (A) 7pm

Friday July 23 – MyGers Open Training Session at Ibrox

Nice break for the squad over the 12th July.

[article]
STEVEN GERRARD'S Rangers squad has today been strengthened further with the addition of English Premier League midfielder John Lundstram on a three year deal.

Lundstram, 27, has made 62 appearances in England’s top flight in the last two seasons for Sheffield United, and impressed hugely in the middle of the park for the Blades against some of the best talent in football.

A Liverpudlian, he came through the youth programme at Everton and had a number of loan spells at EFL level before making the permanent move to the Steel City in the summer of 2017.

He played his part in getting Chris Wilder’s dynamic side to the Premier League in 2018/19. He has represented England at age group level, and was named in the squad for the FIFA Under-20 World Cup back in 2013.

Rangers Manager, Steven Gerrard, said: “John is a player I have known for some time and knew he would enhance our squad.

"Having played in the Premiership, he has the undoubted quality to enhance our midfield with his technical ability and physicality and I was impressed with his attitude and ambition when we spoke over recent weeks. John is a winner and knows what is required to succeed at a club of this stature.

“He will add steel and presence to our midfield along with his quality which makes our squad much stronger, and to procure a player of John’s profile and experience is very pleasing.

“Myself and the staff are looking forward to working with John. We know he is also very excited to get started at Rangers."

Sporting Director, Ross Wilson outlined his delight at securing the signature of the England under-age internationalist by saying, “John was a major transfer target as part of our squad plan this summer so naturally I am delighted that he becomes a Rangers player today.

"We quietly worked hard at this deal in the background whilst understanding there was a lot of competition for his signature. John has long been admired by Steven and there’s no better judge of a midfield player in my book.

"His desire to make John a Rangers player will have been a massive plus in John’s decision making I am sure. We know John’s qualities and we know that in joining our team, with the quality we already have, his game will elevate further still.

"He will particularly relish playing in the style of Rangers team that we have and playing in front of our huge fan base is an exciting prospect for him. He joins at a time where we believe at 27 years old his peak years will be with us at Ibrox.”

Speaking today after joining Rangers, Lundstram commented: "I spoke with the manager and he sold the club to me, and I was just taken aback by his ambition, vision and drive.

"I know Glasgow is like Liverpool - a proper football city with proper football fans, and I know the people are very similar and I am buzzing to be a part of the atmosphere I am moving into.

"The chance to work with Steven Gerrard and Gary McAllister, as well as Michael Beale, was a huge draw.

"The manager is from the same area as me, and I want to learn from those coaches and become a better version of myself and continue to develop under them.

"As an outsider looking in, the scenes last season were unbelievable when the club won the league, and when I saw that, I knew I wanted to be a part of it and be a part of a club which wins more trophies for Rangers.

"There is something special still being built here and there is more to come. The pull of being in the Champions League was also massive for me and I want to help the team reach the group stage and make the most of that opportunity."
[/article]

Was expecting a friendly vs. us.

Rangers Pre-Season Calendar

Monday July 5 – Partick Thistle (A) 7pm

Saturday July 10 – Tranmere Rovers (A) 12:30pm

Saturday July 17 – Arsenal (H) 2pm

Wednesday July 21 – Blackpool (A) 7pm

Friday July 23 – MyGers Open Training Session at Ibrox

[article]Steven Gerrard was in familiar surroundings as he returned to Liverpool’s Axa Training Centre with Rangers.

The Scottish Premiership champions are on Merseyside ahead of tomorrow’s friendly against Tranmere Rovers.

And Gerrard was back on his old stomping ground as his team continued their pre-season preparations with a training session ahead of Saturday’s encounter.

New signing John Lundstram was also on well known terrain. The Scouser grew up a Liverpool fan and could make his Gers debut in his home city.

Rather than training at Auchenhowie this morning before travelling down, Gerrard has used his considerable sway at Liverpool to secure their top class facilities.

They’ll return north after facing the League Two side for a glamour friendly against Arsenal in Glasgow before taking on Blackpool, Brighton and the mighty Real Madrid before beginning their title defence at home to Livingston.

After a glittering career with the Reds, Gerrard became a youth coach at the club he is synonymous with before taking the plunge into management with Rangers in 2018.

He’s long been held up as the heir apparent to Jurgen Klopp - shouts which have only intensified after delivering the league title last season and his consistently good results in Europe.

A good showing in the Champions League this year will only enhance Gerrard’s chances of returning to his formative club as manager.

But the Light Blues will be hoping they can hold on to their man for a while yet, and Gerrard himself has spoken about building success at Ibrox.[/article]

Last edited:
By the look of it Celtic have the harder task ahead.

Be interesting if their new Turkish coach has to face Galatasaray.
Celtic drew 1-1 with Midtjylland (both sides finished with 10 men and PSV thrashed Galatasaray 5-1 in the first leg yesterday.

[article]Steven Gerrard has expressed his shock at speculation linking him with the Everton job as the Liverpool legend insisted it was 'never a possibility' that he would take the Toffees hotseat.

The Merseyside club had been on the hunt for a new manager following Carlo Ancelotti's surprise return to Real Madrid this summer.

Ancelotti's departure saw a host of coaches linked with the Goodison Park job, including Gerrard, with the Reds icon impressing at Rangers.

The 41-year-old guided Gers to the Scottish football summit last campaign, ending Celtic's nine-year dominance in Scotland and quashing their hopes of a 10th-straight league title.

However, Gerrard says he was 'shocked' by reports linking him to the Everton gig, insisting that taking the job was 'never a possibility'.

'I was very shocked and surprised that my name was linked to the job,' he told ESPN.

'I don't know where it came from, whether it was paper talk or if there was any truth in it, I'm not sure.

'[Managing Everton] is never a possibility as far as I'm concerned.'

Everton have since appointed Rafa Benitez as their new manager, much to the furore of their supporters given the Spaniard's close ties with arch rivals Liverpool.

The former Reds boss guided the Anfield club to Champions League glory in 2005, where Gerrard inspired a remarkable turnaround to overturn a three-goal deficit to defeat AC Milan in Istanbul.

Gerrard reflected that he 'wasn't surprised at all' by Benitez taking the Everton job, given that the studious tactician is 'his own man'.

'Rafa wasn't born in the city, he's not a red through-and-through and he never played against Everton for 20 years and competed against them, so I think it's a very different situation [to mine],' Gerrard added.

'Rafa is his own man and will make his own professional decisions, so there's no surprise that he wanted to get back in the Premier League at a big club and have the opportunity to compete against all the top teams in the league, so I wasn't very shocked and surprised at all in all honesty.'

Gerrard's Rangers will take on Ancelotti's Madrid in a pre-season friendly this weekend as the Liverpool legend prepares his side ahead of their title defence in 2021-22.
[/article]

Dodgy names are nothing new, especially in football, but who the fuck names their kid Fashion?

It's beginning to feel like we're heading towards some kind of meme singularity.

Looking like good signings already - Fashion Sakala (free transfer), Cedric Itten (£2.7m)

Stevie has really recruited very well and transformed Rangers into a well oiled machine of a side.

Madrid fans and media absolutely raving about Ryan Kent after tonight.

Roofe - Huge Success
Hagi - Success
Kent - Huge Success
Defoe - Success
Helander - Success
Goldson - Huge Success
Barisic - Huge Success
Katic - Out of favour.
Itten - Bit of a poor season last.
Balogun - TBC
Lundstram another good bit of business, interesting to see how he gets on.

I think his biggest test this summer is keeping hold of Morelos.

Stevie has really recruited very well and transformed Rangers into a well oiled machine of a side.

Madrid fans and media absolutely raving about Ryan Kent after tonight.

Roofe - Huge Success
Hagi - Success
Kent - Huge Success
Defoe - Success
Helander - Success
Goldson - Huge Success
Barisic - Huge Success
Katic - Out of favour.
Itten - Bit of a poor season last.
Balogun - TBC
Lundstram another good bit of business, interesting to see how he gets on.

I think his biggest test this summer is keeping hold of Morelos.

Morelos is on "extended leave" in Columbia and nobody knows when or if he's coming back.

If Rangers gets past Malmø, you can expect us to be drawn together in the group stages. By some UEFA miracle that will be the draw, no doubt.

That manager at Celtic gonna be sacked before season starts at this rate.

Avoided clash with PSV who whacked Galatasaray 7-2 over 2 legs.

Not sure how Celtic got themselves into a state where they had to make do with such patch up defence including a central defence made up of 2 young players - one who just made his professional senior debut in the 1st leg, another who has less than 20 top flight appearances (from a couple of seasons ago). Absolute shambles.

Getting knocked out the 2nd qualifying round has to be 1 if the biggest embarrassments in their history no? Think how much money they just lost.

and they played a friendly just few days ago and got bartered loooooool

Who was it that was saying Celtic have got a great manager? Oh yeah.. Dreamy.
lol the state of the team can be blamed on a manager who’s been there 5 mins.

Desmond is to blame. Everyone that knows anything about Scottish football is saying that Ange has been given the worst Celtic team in 20 years and has a huge task.

Educate yourself before making stupid comments muppet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom