• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Steven Gerrard & Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you saying Scotland isn't a major league? They have two of the biggest teams in the world...........
And those 2 clubs are championship level whilst the rest of the division is on par with league 1.

If I was him.. id manage in a big league.. German League would be good shout..

More chance of Holland than Germany.
Dutch league aint a big league either, if you are looking to prove yourself..

I mean ffs even Steve Mclaren is seen as a legend in those parts.. Not the league Gerrard should be looking to, to prove himself..

Last edited:
Its very hard to know what the club will be looking for when the time comes to replace Klopp, its not as though there is a like for like manager out there so no matter whether they go for a big name or and up and comer with something to prove there's going to be a massive risk. Generally I tend to go with the idea that for continuity of players its makes sense to at least appoint somebody who shares a similar style of play/set up so they are not trying to reinvent the wheel with their squad.

I don't watch SPL so I've not seen any of Rangers under Gerrard, but you have to say he's probably exceeded expectations to this point. It does feel as if hes putting himself in the frame for the job, but I would think he's got to do something in a bigger league, not necessarily win it, to make himself the favorite.

I think he's got to jump this summer if a decent offer comes his way. There is no telling what next season will bring and the same opportunities may not come again. He made a ballsy move going to Rangers when they were seen as a basket case, they took a chance on him and he's paid them back in full.

It's dense in a way but a step from here is to take a championship club into the prem or to go to a team like Brighton or indeed Palace. Can't see him being comfortable managing a side against Liverpool though

Slightly off topic but shocking that Lennon stepped down at Celtics after, what? Five league titles over 2 stints?

Sure, they're having an off year but Rangers are just too good right now. Next year could be a different story. Not dissimilar situation to City last year with Guardia coming under some criticism. And look how THEY have rebounded.

Shocking really.

He should try and jump this summer, he can't really do anymore with Rangers. Win the league and an amazing run in Europe.

If he got the chance at something like Newcastle (risky given the owner), Crystal Palace (Roy is likely to be binned) or even Southampton is a bigger club comes in for our good friend Ralf. Something around that level would be perfect.

I've never envisaged Steven as a manager but he looks the part, talks a good game and his results speak for themselves, particularly in europe. They play Antwerp, second leg tonight 17:55. Might take a look.

Are you saying Scotland isn't a major league? They have two of the biggest teams in the world...........

Germany
England
Italy
Spain
France
Maybe Portugal or Holland at a stretch.

He needs to win in one of those first to be considered in my opinion and that won’t be easy and will take longer than how long Klopp will stay in my view.

Look at our last set of managers, their experience and success

Klopp - won the German league twice and got to the CL final - Wins the league and CL here.
Rodgers - won promotion from the championship - wins nothing with us
Hodgson - won no mark league titles - wins nothing with us
Rafa - won La Liga twice - wins us big ears, Fa CUp and loses another CL final
Ged - wins French league - does the treble here.
Evans - no experience - wins a league cup
Souness - wins Scottish title - wins an fa cup

Klopp has raised the expectation higher than it’s been in decades. The days of bringing in anything but a proven superstar coach are gone.

Gerard will have to earn a chance to manage us and he won’t do that by just winning a Scottish title or 5.

I would stay at Rangers for at least another 2-3 seasons if I were him, unless a really good offer (serious promotion challenger or chance to awake another sleeping giant) comes in.

- Getting Rangers qualified proper for CL will be another fantastic achievement - Celtic has failed to make it to the group stages for 3 seasons in a row.

- Successfully defending the title will be another challenge (keep the players focused and hungry after the gap in points and achievements they managed this season)

- The current Rangers team need rebuilding/tweaking - McGregor (39), Defoe (38), Davis (36) and a host of players in/reaching their 30s (Tavernier, Arfield, Jack, Barisic, Goldson) - chance to show his skills in building/refreshing a team and to leave the club in good stead when he eventually departs (Gerrard and Ross Wilson have begun the process by signing the likes of Ofoborh, Simpson and Wright 21yo-24yo for new season)

- Chance to show his ability to develop players - the likes of Hagi and Aribo have impressed this season

I would stay at Rangers for at least another 2-3 seasons if I were him, unless a really good offer (serious promotion challenger or chance to awake another sleeping giant) comes in.

- Getting Rangers qualified proper for CL will be another fantastic achievement - Celtic has failed to make it to the group stages for 3 seasons in a row.

- Successfully defending the title will be another challenge (keep the players focused and hungry after the gap in points and achievements they managed this season)

- The current Rangers team need rebuilding/tweaking - McGregor (39), Defoe (38), Davis (36) and a host of players in/reaching their 30s (Tavernier, Arfield, Jack, Barisic, Goldson) - chance to show his skills in building/refreshing a team and to leave the club in good stead when he eventually departs (Gerrard and Ross Wilson have begun the process by signing the likes of Ofoborh, Simpson and Wright 21yo-24yo for new season)

- Chance to show his ability to develop players - the likes of Hagi and Aribo have impressed this season

If he stays and does it, his detractors will just say it’s Scotland and doesn’t prove much.
Qualifying for the CL while nice is just a knock out tie, doesn’t prove much.
Ultimately the longer he stays there after this season, the longer he is waiting to manage us, if that’s his goal.

I don't get how managing some load of bollocks in the prem is much better though. You can't really do much against the top half dozen with no budget.

Great start. Agg score 5-3.

Edit: Agg score 5-4. Another high scoring game?

Last edited:
If he stays and does it, his detractors will just say it’s Scotland and doesn’t prove much.
Qualifying for the CL while nice is just a knock out tie, doesn’t prove much.
Ultimately the longer he stays there after this season, the longer he is waiting to manage us, if that’s his goal.

If he leaves right after winning a title, he will be seen as having a defeatist mentality imo (at least that's what I think if I were a Rangers fan). As mentioned, there's much more achievements to be unlocked. Both him and his management team will get to grow.

Qualifying for CL is not just a knock out tie, looking at the bigger picture, there's obviously the guaranteed prize money, at least 6 more group stages - chance to play against the bigger sides, opportunity to sign and manage better players, cope with managing games and squad to cope with the packed fixtures + games of higher intensity etc.

Celtic failing to make the group stages over the recent years is evident of the tough task on hand. If they did, I think Gerrard's job would have been much tougher, given the extra transfer kitty Celtic will have.

[article]In the last five seasons, Celtic has participated twice in the Champions League group stage of 32. These two seasons generated £58 million in UEFA prize money; the other three seasons in the Europa League £23 million; an average difference per season of £21 million or 174%.[/article]

Ultimately, it depends on the offer that comes his way - I think either a move to a club that has a chance of achieving CL qualification or a promotion contender is worth considering. For example, there's a high chance the Crystal Palace job will be available next season with Hodgson's contract expiring soon. Don't think that's a club worth leaving Rangers for.

No captain Tavernier at RB, but youngster Patterson steps in (after breaching Covid-19 rules). Talk about inspired substitution and grabbing chances.

Last edited:
46' Rangers 2-1 Antwerp
55' Rangers 3-1 Antwerp
58' Rangers 3-2 Antwerp
Agg 7-5. :whistle: Kent having his best season for Rangers. Leeds to return for him?

Icing on cake.

[article]UEFA Europa League round of 16

Tottenham (ENG)
Dynamo Kyiv (UKR) / Club Brugge (BEL)
Real Sociedad (ESP) / Manchester United (ENG)
Arsenal (ENG)
Crvena zvezda (SRB) / AC Milan (ITA)
Rangers (SCO)
Slavia Praha (CZE) / Leicester (ENG)
Villarreal (ESP)
Braga (POR) / Roma (ITA)
Krasnodar (RUS) / Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)
Young Boys (SUI) / Leverkusen (GER)
Molde (NOR)
Granada (ESP)
Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)
Ajax (NED)
Olympiacos (GRE) / PSV Eindhoven (NED)[/article]

Some strong teams left in the next round.
Hope for his sake they get Molde.
Scum will probably get them though

They really are going places arent' they? End up winning the next world cup at this rate.

Slavia Praha knocked Leicester City out in the previous round.

Untitled.jpg

Rangers have had a great run and I suppose could beat Slavia but IMO Slavia will be too strong, they've impressed me everytime I've seen them.

Gerrard has to move to a more competitive league after this season. I'd like to see him ply his trade in Italy or Spain and see how he does

Gerrard has to move to a more competitive league after this season. I'd like to see him ply his trade in Italy or Spain and see how he does

I'd rather he stays in scotland one more year (manages in CL and goes for double) and then moves to a job in Premier League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom