• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Striker!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Best Believe It

Quantum Leaper

I was going to call the thread 'Strikers' which reminded me of the Partridge commentary which is well worth a watch.

Anyway, I was wondering what folks think we need in terms of strikers for next season, given that we're bringing in Origi and probably Ings. I have no idea what formation the manager would like to play in an ideal world, so I suspect having four strikers means we'd have all our options covered. That essentially means (if we presume Ings will sign) a) keeping one of Mario, Rickie or Fabio or b) selling them all and signing someone new.

I suppose if Ings goes abroad or to someone else we'd need two strikers. But then maybe there's an argument for only having three strikers if we would be playing one up front the majority of the time.

What do people feel we should be doing in terms of bringing in/selling strikers in the summer?

Personally I feel we need to bring someone in who will threaten Sturridge's place in the team. I doubt Origi is expected to do that straightaway. And I don't think Ings would do that either.

Out : Balotelli, Lambert, Borini.

In : Top Striker (Lacazette or even Firmino, though not strictly a striker, I'd take Falcao too), Origi & Ings

Out: balo, Borini Lambert

In: Origi, ings

I really don't see us attracting a top striker

I must be the only one whose been underwhelmed by whay I've seen on Origi then.

Our best bet is to roll the dice on young strikers, because i don't think we will be able to sign a big name striker who has been a proven goal scorer across a few years.

The best young strikers I have seen play are:

La Liga - Vietto (Villareal) & Paco Alcacer (Valencia)

Italy - Mauro Icardi (Inter) & Paulo Dybala (Palermo)

France - Lacazette (Lyon)

He's been played out of position in a struggling team, his head is already with us, the fans aren't too happy about that, etc

I think most were expecting us to sign a brilliant forward to replace Suarez last summer and unfortunately for various reasons that didn't happen. The requirement is still there however - Sturridge hasn't proven his fitness, we don't have a young talent that is quite ready to step up and be a leading man in terms of goal scoring and the rest of them have proven to be useless.

I had high hopes for Lambert (relative to his fee and stature of course) as I thought he could represent a genuine 'Plan B' but he's looked very much out of place though he has been unfortunate to get his chances at a time when the manager and team were struggling. Given his age and the fact that there will still be plenty of clubs willing to take him on there doesn't seem to be much point in keeping him.

Borini. What is there to say? Needs to go.

Balotelli is frustrating because he really could be a different option for us but any summer optimism of Rodgers face stroking Balotelli into unlocking his potential is pretty much gone. Rodgers doesn't seem to fancy him and I'm not sure anyone else connected with the club does either. If we can get a decent fee, it's probably worth getting rid.

I'd go

Out : Balotelli, Lambert, Borini, Aspaz.
In : Origi, Ings, and someone else

I can't see us signing a big name striker, but I also can't see the boss flogging 4 out of 5 of our strikers. We'll probably end up loaning them all out like idiots.

We need someone with class and a proven goalscorer to cover for sicknote. But, if we sign that player, is he going to be happy to sit on the bench when sicknote is fit? Otherwise the boss is going to have to go 2 up top again....
I could see Ings being our no.2 next season.

He's been played out of position in a struggling team, his head is already with us, the fans aren't too happy about that, etc

This. Also worth mentioning that he's the highest scoring teenager in Europe. Even though he's played out of position, in a struggeling team and his head already being in Liverpool.
Hope we dont expect to much of him next season but I think he'll be a star given time.

Other than that I'd go for Vietto. Young, loads of potential and is a goalscorer. We can probably get him aswell.

The great thing about having him out on loan for his first year is that people can go from thinking he's the dogs bollocks to thinking he's shit before he even plays his first game for us.

I'd love us to go out and spend 40M+ on a top top striker this summer. It's what we need and it'd keep Studge on his toes.

We need to add quality, either a big name as Ryan says, or an up and comer who's already banging a few in, a really exciting prospect, as opposed to your Alberto's etc.

As for Studge, we've have a difficult conundrum, he doesn't work nearly hard enough for a lone striker, but don't have a strike partner who will work hard to give him the space to thrive off. We need someone, but he needs to start working now. He wanted to be the main man, well now's his opportunity.

Tick tock. That's all I'm saying. Tick flipping tock!

Under-21s striker Semed Yesil is close to ending his injury hell as he nears his return to full fitness, with next month’s game against Fulham pencilled in as a return.

The German youth international has ruptured his anterior crucial ligament twice in a year at Anfield, limiting the 20-year-old to just two appearances for the Reds first team.

Signed from Bayer Leverkusen for £1million in August 2012, Yesil came to Merseyside with a big reputation having scored six goals at the Under-17s World Cup in 2011.

U-21s boss Michael Beale hailed his finishing as “second-to-none” and believes Yesil is back on the comeback trail ahead of the game on April 7.

He said: “Samed has been back in for about 10 days now. After such a long time out, he hasn’t got that core fitness. But we’re hoping by the Fulham game, he’ll be ready to play some minutes.

“We want him to get a good three or four months of playing and a good pre-season in him, to show his own potential. His finishing is probably second-to-none in our group at U21s.”

Striker striker striker striker striker, STRIKER!

Tick tock. That's all I'm saying. Tick flipping tock!

Under-21s striker Semed Yesil is close to ending his injury hell as he nears his return to full fitness, with next month’s game against Fulham pencilled in as a return.

The German youth international has ruptured his anterior crucial ligament twice in a year at Anfield, limiting the 20-year-old to just two appearances for the Reds first team.

Signed from Bayer Leverkusen for £1million in August 2012, Yesil came to Merseyside with a big reputation having scored six goals at the Under-17s World Cup in 2011.

U-21s boss Michael Beale hailed his finishing as “second-to-none” and believes Yesil is back on the comeback trail ahead of the game on April 7.

He said: “Samed has been back in for about 10 days now. After such a long time out, he hasn’t got that core fitness. But we’re hoping by the Fulham game, he’ll be ready to play some minutes.

“We want him to get a good three or four months of playing and a good pre-season in him, to show his own potential. His finishing is probably second-to-none in our group at U21s.”

His absence rate is what....70%? Worse than Jack Wilshere. Forget about him, you'll be better for it.

I think it might be time to start planning without Sturridge in mind.

He's too injury prone.

Roopy says we can't attract the big name strikers - but who are they at this point?

I'd argue the some of the ones he's mentioned as targets are getting the profile that would make it difficult for us to sign them. Lacazette has twenty plus already this season, the other players are all on the radars of the top clubs.

So, where do we start?

None of Borini, Balotelli or Lambert can play effectively up front on their own or with two wingers playing around them. So we either ditch them or revert to a more traditional 2 up front. In the short term I'd stick Sterling up there but he's not the long term answer.

I think we need to look a bit deeper at those players who might be next to break out if we're going to totally reconfigure the strike force.

We should rescue Kramaric from Leicester when they go down. He's far too good to be there and he will at least be getting used to England now.

Vietto has a release clause of 20 mill euros. So I think we can get him. Lacazette will cost a shitload.He might stay aswell as Lyon are moving into a new stadium, even more so if they get CL footy.

Wouldnt be against going for Deepay either. Not an out and out striker but can play anywhere in the attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom