• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sturridge interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modo

A contentious scando
SUNDAY TALK: Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge - From Birmingham's Grimy Streets To Football Fields

Published: Sunday | June 23, 2013​

AndreLowe_SundayTalk.jpg

VO-1491-P44-database-footba.jpg

Daniel Sturridge celebrates after scoring a goal for former club Chelsea.
danielsturridgechelseaC2011.jpg

I am no Liverpool fan, but I certainly enjoy watching the skill and ability of their striker Daniel Sturridge on display. At 23 years old, Sturridge, who hails from a solid Jamaican stock, is developing into one of the English Premier League's top front-men but his story didn't start on football pitches across the UK.
Sturridge made it there in spite of many challenges before him; violence and drugs were some of the harsh realities of his childhood, but the strength of a strong family foundation and his own ambitions led him to his current path.
The England international took some time to meet with us the other day ahead of some commendable charity work, which he is undertaking with the help of Digicel, as he took up beyond the hype and into his world.
Let's talk!
André Lowe (AL): Daniel Sturridge, of course the whole world knows you as the England and Liverpool 'baller', but let's get beyond that and speak a little about Daniel Sturridge - the man; growing up, family, etc.
Daniel Sturridge (DS): Well, I grew up in Hockley, Birmingham in England; it wasn't the best of neighbourhoods, with a lot of crime and drugs being sold, people getting shot and all these stuff. For myself, it was hard to find role models, my uncle played football so I looked up to him, but besides him, there were only drug dealers to look up to, but I wasn't interested in that.
I was more interested in being a success, in working hard and keeping my mind clear. My family kept me grounded, we didn't have much; sometimes we wouldn't eat and then sometimes we may have bun but no cheese or stuff like that. It's something that I have been humbled by and it's why I am the way I am now. I always try to give back whether to family members, friends or even charity, because I know the struggle, I have lived it!

AL: Inspirational stuff there. Let's go back a little to your Jamaican roots though.
DS: My mom's parents and my dad's parents are both Jamaicans and then I have most of my cousins, uncles, granduncles coming from here, so I'm as Jamaican as I am English.

AL: How big then is the Jamaican influence in your day-to-day life?
DS: I grew up like one to be honest; my culture is like that - the music, the food, everything else.

AL: What would you say is the most surprising thing about Daniel Sturridge?
DS: Hmmm ... People don't know me and my background, so they just assume I'm just some guy, whose uncle played football so I grew up with money. But my household didn't have any money; we struggled. My parents were always supportive though. My mother was a schoolteacher, my dad quit his job and became a football coach and used to coach me a lot. If you get to know me you will know I'm a humble guy - that's a surprise for some.

AL: An interesting little fact is that you are the first and only Premier League player to score on all his debuts, I don't know if you make much of that.
DS: Yea, I know it's quite crazy to be honest. I guess I'm just blessed and God just gave me the opportunity to do that. It's one of those things I suppose.

AL: Ok, so it's not because of any special Sturridge pre-game ritual then? (laughs)
DS: Hahaha No man, it's no obeah or anything like that (laughs).

AL: Well you took it to the extreme.
DS: Yea, I'm just messing, but I don't know what it is, I just pray a lot and I think I'm just blessed. Maybe it will continue or maybe I won't have another debut and I will stay at Liverpool for the rest of my life.

AL: In an interview some time ago, you said you modelled yourself off Thierry Henry ...
DS: ... Yes, I still do ...

AL: Well I suppose you would consider him a favourite player of yours?
DS: Most definitely, of all time. For me, Thierry Henry and Ronaldo are the two players I have idolised ...

AL: .... The 'real' Ronaldo?
DS: (laughs) Yea, the 'real' Ronaldo; c'mon man, obviously. When I was younger I used to watch videos of Pele and Maradona but me growing up and watching football, Henry and the original Brazilian Ronaldo are the two I looked up to most.

AL: Another interesting Sturridge fact is that you have played for England at all levels, what does that mean to you?
DS: That's also one of the things I'm happy about; to play for England and to score at every age level as well is really special for me.

AL: You do know you will find a few Jamaicans ready to convince you that you would be better off playing for the Reggae Boyz, right?
DS: Of course (laughs) ... it's just one of those things. I think if Jamaica approached players at 15 years old then it would be easier because at 19 or 20-odd years old, you would have probably played for the senior team already.

AL: Well, you know Raheem Sterling and his situation very well, you know the Jamaicans are interested in pulling him in but he has also represented the England senior team at the senior level.
DS: They won't get him, I think Raheem will play for England. He has represented England at the youth level and also the senior level and I think that he thinks it's wise for him to not represent Jamaica. He has the talent to play for England, no disrespect to Jamaica, but they weren't the ones who gave him the opportunity to play international youth football. It would be silly for him to say he will play for Jamaica now having already represented the Under-21s and the senior team at 18 years old or so.
Whatever he wants to do though, I will support him anyway, that's my brother.

AL: Close relationship between you two?
DS: Definitely, we have the same background in where we are coming from and family and that sort of stuff. We talk together a lot at training. He is probably the closest player I'm with at the club and I want to help him become better than myself and one of the best in the world.

AL: You play for one of the most storied clubs in world football; not a great time for the club these days, but you have been making waves since joining Liverpool, scoring 10 goals in 14 games. What has that experience been like for you?

DS: It's been good, I have enjoyed it and I am hoping that continues. I keep my faith in God and hope he continues to bless me. I do my bit and hope he does the rest. I can never thank God or my family enough.

It's been a great experience, Liverpool have some of the best fans in the world, there is always huge support for the team week in and week out. Anfield is always sold out and they always travel well when we are away, it's great to be a part of that.

AL: Are you here in Jamaica often?

DS: I'm here at least once a year. For the last five years, I have been coming like that and I think I will be here next year again. I want to stay in touch with my roots and everything that I believe in and this place is important for me to see the sacrifices my ancestors made, so that I can be who I am today.

AL: What do you look forward to the most when you come here?

DS: Mainly the family, the food, the vibe. This place has a certain energy about it and so much talent here that people don't get to show, which is what my charity is about; giving youth an opportunity to showcase that talent and give them a platform for it to be seen so that opportunities are created for them.

AL: What's your most memorable game?

DS: The game against Fulham - the first hat-trick that I ever scored at the senior level. I did that a lot as a youth, but it gets a lot more difficult.

AL: Well, you certainly made headlines and you know how to do that, but not like your teammate Luis Suarez. What do you make of him, what can you tell us about him as a person?

DS: I think he is a great footballer and a great guy. For me, I just hope he stays at the club because he brings a lot to the team and he is a vital part of us trying to move forward.

AL: By the way, I know you injured your ankle recently, how's the recovery coming along?

DS: It's coming along good, won't be long till I'm out of the cast and once I'm out of that then the improvements will really start.

AL: Well, we will see how that turns out. Thanks for taking the time out to chat with us, Daniel.

Until next time .... happy Sunday.​

Yet again Sturridge comes across as a grounded, sincere chap, delighted to be playing for us. On the other hand, the guy who is interviewing him comes across as a serious tool. I base that on him being 'no liverpool fan' and using the term 'baller'.

I really like Sturridge. I think he's an excellent player and comes across as a sound lad with an admirable personality. I'm delighted we have him considering the inevitable departure of Suarez.

Hes a good guy.
Interesting that the press have always painted him as a bit of a primadonna and a dickhead bit if you ask the people at Citeh and Chelsea and especially the fans they have little bad to say about him.
I think our future depends on him. Hope he stays for a long time too.

Sturridge: I am real humble.
SCM: You are real humble.
Sturridge: I can go about my business.
SCM: You can go about your business.
Sturridge: Move along.
SCM: Move along.

I feel a bit ashamed over the fact that I doubted him. I believed the hype, I thought he was a selfish prima donna.
I reckoned that two selfish players upfront would be a disaster. But looking back, in the few games that it didn't work out between them the problem wasn't Sturridge, it was Suarez imo.

These are the Jamaicans we are looking for.

John, Raheem, Andre & Dan - Jamaica connection

9th Jun 2013 - Latest News
o
Journalist Alex Urquhart-Cannon examines the Jamaican roots at the heart of the current Liverpool team - and the man who paved the way...
barnes263.jpg
As the first ever Jamaican-born player to don the Liverpool shirt, former Reds midfielder John Barnes paved the way for three current first-team stars to follow in his legendary footsteps.

Barnes enjoyed a memorable Reds career which boasted eight trophies and 108 goals in 407 appearances - an unforgettable period on Merseyside which many fellow players would envy.

Fondly recalling his younger days as he looked to secure a career as a footballer, Barnes has revealed how his living area in the Up-Park army barracks in Kingston provided him with the suitable foundation to mature into the player that he became.

The ex-England international also explained why moving to these shores was a huge contrast in terms of surroundings and climate - although that did not stop him from becoming one of the finest wingers the country has ever seen.

Barnes told the official Liverpool FC magazine: "Jamaica was idyllic for children, especially for a boy like me who loved sport. The place resembled a village, eight square miles in size and full of swimming pools, squash courts and tennis courts. It was a place of peace and security.

"I occasionally bump into old friends or soldiers from Up-Park who march up and declare: 'Barnes, I remember you growing up, you were always playing football'."
Upon arriving at the much colder Heathrow airport in London, Barnes recalled: "I'd never seen snow before. Tropical Jamaica seemed another planet away, let alone another continent."

Barnes' hugely impressive achievements in England gave a whole nation hope that they could follow in his footsteps.

Three Reds players with Jamaican heritage have done exactly that as Raheem Sterling, Daniel Sturridge and Andre Wisdom find themselves on Merseyside with highly promising futures.
raheem10_51a6193e1c8ae100954038.jpg
Unlike Barnes, Sterling was based in admittedly rougher surroundings as a child in Jamaica.

Hailing from Maverley - a different area of Kingston - the winger believes the tougher nature of the football they played back then has helped to develop him physically.
Sterling revealed: "It was a tough area, but I'm proud to say I come from there.

"It was all on the street. There were no competitive matches but I think it helped me because the other boys were a lot bigger and I learned very quickly how to use my body."

Sterling moved to London at the age of seven - a defining moment in his future - and swiftly began making an impression when he joined the youth ranks at QPR. The Reds soon spotted the winger's undoubted potential and brought him to Anfield in 2010.

After a meteoric rise to prominence through Liverpool's reserve ranks, the 18-year-old made his senior debut against Wigan Athletic on March 24, 2012 at the age of 17 years and 107 days - emphasising how comfortable the transition from Jamaica to England has been for the youngster.
prop130427-026-newcastle_liverpool.jpg
As opposed to Barnes and Sterling, Sturridge originated from England. Born in Birmingham following his parents' move from Jamaica, the striker still cherishes his family background and is grateful for their attitude with regards to how they strived for a better life.

"I'm very proud of my heritage," the England international said. "I love the country but it always reminds me of how fortunate I am.

"When you go there you realise certain things, like the sacrifices my ancestors have made to make a better life for themselves. I watch a lot of sport when I'm over there - both football and cricket. I realise how it inspires people.

"Young people hear music or see sport - football, cricket and athletics - and they also see a bad road, a road where it is easy to get into trouble. The younger generation needs role models."

wisdom_507447901c83a734663907.jpg
Similarly to Sturridge, Wisdom was born in England but had Jamaican grandparents.
Originally from Leeds, the 20-year-old has displayed commendable determination to break through the youth ranks at Liverpool and has never looked out of place since his
memorable senior debut when he scored in a Europa League match against Young Boys.
Wisdom has selflessly deflected any potential praise onto two Jamaican sprinters - the famous Usain Bolt and Yohan Blake.

The defender feels that the pair provide a huge amount of inspiration for the whole of Jamaica and have proved that the country's inhabitants can go on to achieve similar feats in the coming years.

Wisdom stated: "It has been a brilliant few years for Jamaican sport. I was a decent short-distance runner as a kid. Those two guys are unbelievable - arguably the best that's ever been - so it gives Jamaicans a lot of hope and belief that they can achieve great things too."

I feel a bit ashamed over the fact that I doubted him. I believed the hype, I thought he was a selfish prima donna.
I reckoned that two selfish players upfront would be a disaster. But looking back, in the few games that it didn't work out between them the problem wasn't Sturridge, it was Suarez imo.

I don't recall any games about which I'd go that far. You can't expect any new combo to work 100% every time anyway.

I never quite know what to think of him. He seems to have a Babel sort of vibe going on. Babel was always quoting the Bible and talking about God one minute and the next minute he'd be mo-fo-ing and rapping his way through Punani Land. Sturridge is all godly on minute and a bit pervy the next, but he seems a good lad, essentially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom