• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Suarez Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

6CM Follower
If Suarez leaves, I reckon he will go for 40-50 million pounds. If he goes for who do we buy as a replacement?

Personally, I wouldn't want to spend more than 25 million on a new striker. I don't think that Benteke would necessarily fit into Rodgers interchanging system up top. If we manage to get Mkhitaryan, we will have plenty of creativity. I would just want a player that guarantees goals - maybe a veteran to compete with Borini and Sturridge.

Hi maximus.

I am happy with Sturridge so would invest the Suarez money in a worldy WORLDY winger and a CB

Sturridge
Borini
Aspas

for the front spot.

I like the look of that Luis Muriel, from the players we've been linked to. If there's any left over not going on Mkhitaryan and centre halves, I'd probably think a strong centre mid would be the next priority.

I REALLY hope we buy a class CB. Whether Papa is the man or not, I dunno.
But in terms of a replacement for Suarez, should he leave, maybe Soldado would be good.

Interesting 'fox in the box' candidate

2013%2f6%2fGoals-1.jpg

Soldado scored all 24 of his goals in La Liga this season from in the penalty area, while he also had the most shots blocked (4) inside the six yard box

Hi maximus.

I am happy with Sturridge so would invest the Suarez money in a worldy WORLDY winger and a CB

Sturridge
Borini
Aspas

for the front spot.
Problem is sturridge is made of glass, we would need a top class replacement when suarez leaves.

I don't think we need to replace Suarez tbh.
We have four players who can play upfront and an abundance of creativity in midfield.
Don't get me wrong, I'd rather see Suarez stay but if we sign Mkhitaryan I think we're set in midfield and upfront.
The defence is our biggest issue.

If Suarez goes, he needs to go soon. Top class replacement(s) are likely to take an eternity to acquire.
I think/hope he'll stay.

It seems now if a player gets a couple of injuries he's instantly labelled as 'made of glass'. O fickle world.

Steven Gerrard might well have been labelled as such at Sturridge's age.

Google reckons Gomez earns more than Gerrard. If that's true he won't be moving to a team like ours.

No to Huntelaar.

I would be happy with Mkhitaryan + Muriel as Suarez replacements. But the best case scenario is Suarez staying and Ayre finding some way to bring in Mkhitaryan AND a good CB while staying within our budget.

I think we need a Mkhitaryan type player regardless of whether or not Suarez goes as we just wont get enough goals from a midfield featuring any combination of Gerrard Lucas Allen Henderson or Downing. I think with Coutinho and Mkhitaryan in the side we would have great movement and creativity in the attacking third so we wouldnt need to replace Suarez with a like for like player, we could go for a more clinical finisher. Aubameyang would be my first pick, then Jackson Martinez or Negredo

Jovetic is probably one of the best fits of the bunch, but I would be surprised if that happened. A more physical player like Benteke/Lukaku/Bony/Altidore would free up a lot of space for our midfielders, but their finishing has to make up for their lack of passing skill.

Rooney would also be a fantastic fit for the spot, but that move would never happen.

Jovetic is probably one of the best fits of the bunch, but I would be surprised if that happened. A more physical player like Benteke/Lukaku/Bony/Altidore would free up a lot of space for our midfielders, but their finishing has to make up for their lack of passing skill.

Rooney would also be a fantastic fit for the spot, but that move would never happen.

I dont get all the fuss over Jovetic, his goal scoring record is not that good. I dont think our team is set up to get the best out of a physical player like Bony, alot of his goals are from headers and we just wont be playing that way under Rodgers

I think we need a Mkhitaryan type player regardless of whether or not Suarez goes as we just wont get enough goals from a midfield featuring any combination of Gerrard Lucas Allen Henderson or Downing. I think with Coutinho and Mkhitaryan in the side we would have great movement and creativity in the attacking third so we wouldnt need to replace Suarez with a like for like player, we could go for a more clinical finisher.

Agree.

I dont get all the fuss over Jovetic, his goal scoring record is not that good. I dont think our team is set up to get the best out of a physical player like Bony, alot of his goals are from headers and we just wont be playing that way under Rodgers

All fair points, but Jovetic is clearly class. I think going with a physical player would be feast or famine, a risk that may or may not be worth taking. Having a Plan B is always helpful though.

Your suggestions are good, but I'm not sold on any of them. Aubameyang is a real athlete, and is surprisingly clinical as well as well rounded, but I can't see him leading the line for us. Would probably be the ideal player to slot in instead of Downing.

We were after Martinez last offseason and came up short, but I don't think he would be a prudent signing. Porto have made a nice chunk of change already this offseason, and I can't see them selling another player, especially considering what a high percentage of their offense he contributed. Would be an amazing signing at 10M, is probably worth around 15M, but Porto would likely stick a 25M pricetag on him, which isn't worth it.

Soldado isn't a very sexy name to lead the line, but he would probably get the job done. Converts a very high percentage of his chances, is good enough in the air, and has a decent passing percentage for a striker. Again though, I think his value would be drastically inflated from what it actually should be: he is 28 after all and shouldn't be worth more than 15M or so. My alternative to this is a 35 year old Miroslav Klose. Would probably be available for about 10% of the cost, and seems like a very good fit. Well rounded player, has a good head on his shoulders, and a veteran presence that would be ideally suited for coming off the bench in late game situations as well as starting a few games.

By no means a long term solution, but he still seems to be doing just fine at a pretty decent age. Very smart move by Lazio to sign him a few seasons back, but I'd like to think that he could be a real contributor for us. He plans to retire after the 2014 WC, so we could make a compelling one season offer to him.

Klose is a great shout. One of my favorite strikers of recent times, very team-oriented and unselfish - he would bring a great veteran presence and lots of "winning mentality" that Rodgers says we need. Not to mention a decent plan B for the times we need a tall striker in the box (and one with decent technique and vision for a change).

Don't know how his body is holding up now at 35. But he looks like the type who takes good care of himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom