• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The morning after United

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
Rewatched the game until the 3:0 – after that it was mostly United players losing their heads and us punishing their mistakes. A few things stuck out at me:
  • Gakpo was everywhere – I think you could say his role was less a "false 9" and more a 4th midfielder playing at the tip of a "diamond." But rather than being stationed in one place, he moved around the pitch to be near the action at all times – and almost with every touch he did something useful: a deft knockdown to a teammate, shielding the ball, winning a header, a tackle to stop an attack. For someone who was initially described as "quite basic in his movement" his understanding of the game is impressive as is his workrate and he has a wide range of skills. United's tactics helped him somewhat as he was almost always a free man in the middle – if he continues in this vein, teams will start designing special strategies to try to stop him and then everything will depend on whether he'll be able to overcome those additional obstacles and reach another level. But for now he's just enjoying himself and doing useful things all over the pitch.
  • This was Henderson's best game at LCM – by a distance. I always thought he was an awkward fit there, but perhaps it was just the lack of familiarity with this position – he gradually improved his ability to turn out of trouble and position himself on the left, his pressing of the opposition right-back was very useful and ball distribution smart. On this evidence, Hendo can finally be considered a genuine option for a LCM role.
  • Nunez was quite poor in the first half and generally you could argue didn't have a particularly good game apart from the goals. Sometimes he looks quite natural on the left, but this was one of those occasions where his lack of genuine dribbling ability or top-class passing game seemed like a serious shortcoming for a player in that position. What he did do well is to find a way to move into goalscoring positions in the middle and took his goals well. His strong qualities are obvious, but it will take a lot more individual and systemic tweaks to maximize his impact.
  • Having Fabinho and Henderson "back" to their previous energy levels + Konate rather than Gomez or Matip at the back does wonders to our overall team balance. Suddenly we can accommodate a player like Elliott in midfield without too much trouble and Trent's defensive problems don't seem insurmountable. Suddenly it doesn't look like we desperately need 2-3 new midfielders for the team not to fall to pieces; in fact a new top-class CB seems like an equal priority to a midfielder. Having said that, a proper CM with speed and ability to cover a lot of ground and cover for the full-backs (a Camavinga type) would be most welcome.
  • Bajcetic is a baller – clearly wanted to prove something after being left out of the starting 11 and his footwork and arrogance on the ball were delicious. Klopp chided him for forgetting his defensive responsibilities sometimes, but I'm sure deep down he loved it.
  • I agree with Klopp that we started the game well and no – United were not generally "the better team" in the first half. But we did have a serious collective lapse in concentration between around 23rd to 28th minutes when we conceded two clear-cut chances in quick succession and suddenly looked like the "old" Liverpool from our worst games of this season – lethargic and capable of making inexplicably stupid decisions. This was an 85-minute great performance, but we're still waiting for a 90-minute one.

Last edited:
Rewatched the game until the 3:0 – after that it was mostly United players losing their heads and us punishing their mistakes. A few things stuck out at me:
  • Gakpo was everywhere – I think you could say his role was less a "false 9" and more a 4th midfielder playing at the tip of a "diamond." But rather than being stationed in one place, he moved around the pitch to be near the action at all times – and almost with every touch he did something useful: a deft knockdown to a teammate, shielding the ball, winning a header, a tackle to stop an attack. For someone who was initially described as "quite basic in his movement" his understanding of the game is impressive as is his workrate and he has a wide range of skills. United's tactics helped him somewhat as he was almost always a free man in the middle – if he continues in this vein, teams will start designing special strategies to try to stop him and then everything will depend on whether he'll be able to overcome those additional obstacles and reach another level. But for now he's just enjoying himself and doing useful things all over the pitch.
  • This was Henderson's best game at LCM – by a distance. I always thought he was an awkward fit there, but perhaps it was just the lack of familiarity with this position – he gradually improved his ability to turn out of trouble and position himself on the left, his pressing of the opposition right-back was very useful and ball distribution smart. On this evidence, Hendo can finally be considered a genuine option for a LCM role.
  • Nunez was quite poor in the first half and generally you could argue didn't have a particularly good game apart from the goals. Sometimes he looks quite natural on the left, but this was one of those occasions where his lack of genuine dribbling ability or top-class passing game seemed like a serious shortcoming for a player in that position. What he did do well is to find a way to move into goalscoring positions in the middle and took his goals well. His strong qualities are obvious, but it will take a lot more individual and systemic tweaks to maximize his impact.
  • Having Fabinho and Henderson "back" to their previous energy levels + Konate rather than Gomez or Matip at the back does wonders to our overall team balance. Suddenly we can accommodate a player like Elliott in midfield without too much trouble and Trent's defensive problems don't seem insurmountable. Suddenly it doesn't look like we desperately need 2-3 new midfielders for the team not to fall to pieces; in fact a new top-class CB seems like an equal priority to a midfielder. Having said that, a proper CM with speed and ability to cover a lot of ground and cover for the full-backs (a Camavinga type) would be most welcome.
  • Bajcetic is a baller – clearly wanted to prove something after being left out of the starting 11 and his footwork and arrogance on the ball were delicious. Klopp chided him for forgetting his defensive responsibilities sometimes, but I'm sure deep down he loved it.
  • I agree with Klopp that we started the game well and no – United were not generally "the better team" in the first half. But we did have a serious collective lapse in concentration between around 23rd to 28th minutes when we conceded two clear-cut chances in quick succession and suddenly looked like the "old" Liverpool from our worst games of this season – lethargic and capable of making inexplicably stupid decisions. This was an 85-minute great performance, but we're still waiting for a 90-minute one.

Let’s hope the 90 minute great performance comes middle of next week - we have nothing to lose.

Gakpos control is noticeably fantastic, very Suarez. It seems he has the brain to exploit situations to the fullest and pace is better than expected. Also decent striker of the ball. Very good so far.

I was formerly quite positive about Darwin but as rurik has said he’s struggling at times when he comes up against his fullback with no forward momentum. He desperately wants to run at them or get the ball in behind and beat them with pace but lacks any idea on how to do it. Not sure how well taking on a defender can be taught, imo for the most part you’ve either got it or you don’t (see Ben Doak, he’s a child but he could do it blindfolded). So this along with some basic aspects of the game like passing are leaving me disappointed with Darwin. Still enjoying his chaos though.

My top 3 for the match were Gakpo/Robbo/Trent. Salah got a lot of love but I think those three were essential for pulling the team forward and everyone else hopped on board for the ride.

After the buzz has gone i hope we’re not carried away with this result, it was a freak. Klopp is the best man to have in these sort of situations.

“rurikbird” said:
Suddenly it doesn't look like we desperately need 2-3 new midfielders for the team not to fall to pieces; in fact a new top-class CB seems like an equal priority to a midfielder.
HERETIC

BURN HIM!

Last edited:
Morning after United I had a nice long sweaty wank, then I realised I was late for work and jetted off without washing my hands.

We need a minimum of two, if our budget is £200 - 250m, and we miss out on Bellers, we could get 2-3 MF, 1CB and a RB

Suddenly it doesn't look like we desperately need 2-3 new midfielders for the team not to fall to pieces; in fact a new top-class CB seems like an equal priority to a midfielder.

Is it a coincidence that John Henry chose to come out with a "we need to be sustainable" interview right after this game?

I hope so.

I think Klopp said it was a freak game and yeah it doesn't change the fact that this team needs serious investment.

The team needs serious investment, and if Klopp can get us into 4th this season then the chances of spending big increases.

Our defense improved drastically since Konate returned to the lineup and with JoeGo nowhere to be seen near the team. Incidentally our form too.

It’s not rocket science lads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom