• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The rest against Villa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aston Villa's FA Cup tie with Liverpool on Friday night is expected to go ahead but Wednesday's Premier League game against Tottenham is in doubt after an outbreak of coronavirus in the first-team squad.

That will fuck spurs up later in the season

In fairness to Villa, and I stand to be corrected, I seem to remember that they were willing to postpone the game last year but the FA insisted on it going ahead.

Much less risk of fielding a second string. I wonder if we'd be tempted to play some of our own U23s now too.

-----------Kelleher-----------
Neco---Rhys--Nat---Milner-
------Jones---Clarkson-----
--------------Ox---------------
U23--------Origi-------Taki

Sounding a bit like a broken record but I think Cain will get a chance, especially as his buddy Clarkson got that European game ahead of him. They might even both be in the side - they're used to playing as a unit.

I'd like to see an attacker given a chance (ideally based off performing well for the U23s) up top rather than Origi who has wasted every opportunity this season. Maybe Glatzel or Stewart?

Forgot about Shaq - would be good to get him sharp but similarly it would be annoying for him to get injured.

If Shaq were to get injured, I'd rather it be in a game than all these other unknown injuries he's picked up while not even playing

I'd like to see an attacker given a chance (ideally based off performing well for the U23s) up top rather than Origi who has wasted every opportunity this season. Maybe Glatzel or Stewart?

Glatzel's crocked, sadly. A really promising attacker but he's had appalling luck with injuries. Stewart is a good shout. The other possibility is Luis Longstaff, who is highly regarded by Klopp - a quick winger who has an eye for goal. I'd expect him to at least be on the bench.

It's a bit frustrating - Klopp's been working with a certain set of players for this so it's too late really for him to bring in a few more youngsters.

Release the Shaq! (part 15):

Xherdan Shaqiri is fit again and determined to help Liverpool with their pursuit of silverware in 2021.

The No.23 has appeared as a substitute in the Reds' last two matches – marking his comeback from a muscle injury sustained in November.

As the issue frustratingly kept him sidelined during the busy festive period, Shaqiri is determined to make up for lost time now he's available for selection.

"I'm fit again and back. I'm feeling good, I'm ready to play," the 29-year-old told Liverpoolfc.com. "I'm looking forward to the next games and the second half of the season to try to help the team for a lot of achievement. I'm looking forward.

"It's normal if you are injured or you cannot help the team that you are frustrated. You are at home looking at your teammates on the TV and you want to be there too. But this is part of football, part of life.

"I worked hard to be back, so I'm really happy now with the team. I'm trying now to help my team if I play and try to win games, which is the most important thing for us at the moment. I'm trying to help with my ability."

While Shaqiri was out, Liverpool climbed to the top of the Premier League and confirmed their spot in the last 16 of the Champions League.

"I think this is the goal of Liverpool FC and it must play for big achievements, big trophies," he continued. "This is also our goal this year.

"Obviously we want to be at the top but we need very, very good performances and we need us at the top to really achieve these things.

"We are good in the moment but we need to work hard. If we work hard and then when we are at the top of our level then it's very difficult to play against us."

After putting seven past Crystal Palace last month, Jürgen Klopp's men have only managed to net on one occasion in their last three outings.

As an attack-minded player, it's something Shaqiri is out to change at the next available opportunity.

He said: "For us offensive players, we want to change it straight away and hopefully we can start scoring goals again in the next games.

"It's important to stay positive and try to create chances. Then I'm pretty sure we are going to score as soon as possible."

Rumoured team:

kelleher Neco Williams VDB milner Thiago ox Jones taki orgi shaq

Is Laroucsi completely out of favour? Seems like his agent (or him) making some ill-informed statements has cost him. Shame as he looked to have a lot of the right tools to fit the style we need in a full back.

I must admit I'm puzzled by all the bubbles. One report said that Villa are assembling a squad from all the kids 'outside the first team bubble'. But presumably bubbles are a good thing, so one would hope that all the ones outside one bubble are inside another bubble. But kids seem the least likely to stay inside a bubble. So I just hope they all get tested properly. In their bubble. I'd much prefer us to stay in Liverpool and just have the bye.

Could not agree with you more.

Don't want one of their kids giving our players the virus and wreching what has become an already poor season for us injury wise

Much less risk of fielding a second string. I wonder if we'd be tempted to play some of our own U23s now too.

-----------Kelleher-----------
Neco---Rhys--Nat---Milner-
------Jones---Clarkson-----
--------------Ox---------------
U23--------Origi-------Taki

I would be happy to see that, given the possible risk to our first 11

Whatever happened to Billy the Kid? Though he was the next best thing, but was injured earlier this season

Whatever happened to Billy the Kid? Though he was the next best thing, but was injured earlier this season
He looked great preseason and then hopeless in his first competitive debut. Deer in the headlights stuff.

Is Laroucsi completely out of favour? Seems like his agent (or him) making some ill-informed statements has cost him. Shame as he looked to have a lot of the right tools to fit the style we need in a full back.

Yes. It was so unnecessary - he was progressing well, and then his agent got big ideas, no one came in for him, Klopp was really pissed off and that was that. He's just sitting around waiting for the summer and a free transfer, but the club are trying to push him out now for some kind of fee.

He played a couple of games for the under 23s early in the season and absolutely stank the place out with his poor attitude. The last game I saw him play he literally just stood watching on the wing while a move went on - just stock still. Shocking to see.

Klopp loves him. But he came back from injury and had a shambolic comeback game for the under23s, he was all over the place, so they felt he needed a bit more time to build up his strength again and then play himself back into form. I still wouldn't be that surprised if he makes the bench tonight.

Its almost definitely too soon but didn't we buy a really highly rated polish attacking mid/ winger? This would be a nice way to see a few other players of that ilk feature - but as GK suggests the news is probably too late to change plans that much.

[article]"Two days ago we became aware of significant spike in positive coronavirus tests within our first team squad," he told Sky Sports News. "In the last six days, we went from no positives tests to 14 tests as of early yesterday morning.

"Ten of the 14 positive tests are for players. Obviously at that moment, we had to take the decision to get everybody inside the first team squad in isolation.

"Once we'd done that, in consultation with the FA's medical people, we spent most of yesterday afternoon seeing if we could pull together a team to fulfil the fixture tonight against Liverpool in the FA Cup, which is very important not only for Liverpool and Aston Villa but crucially for the tournament.

"I'm delighted to say we pulled together a whole set of young players who were tested yesterday afternoon. Most of them had never been tested because they're not in the Premier League protocols.

"We got sufficient passes this morning, i.e. no positive tests on that young group and are able to put a team out tonight."

He continued: "In the course of two tests this week we went from clear to nine to 14 in a six-day period which was obviously very alarming and we will see where we are next time.

"Our priority today has been trying to help get this FA Cup tie on. Our club has a very proud tradition in the FA Cup. We are glad to get it through.

"I think it is an absolute dream opportunity for some very young players to play against the Premier League, European and World Champions tonight. I'm jealous of those guys, it's an absolute dream come true for them.

"Mark Delaney will be taking charge. Obviously no-body within our first team bubble will be anywhere near Liverpool or Villa Park tonight.

"It is a brilliant opportunity for young players for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to play against Liverpool in the FA Cup third round.

"They will give their all for Aston Villa, I'm sure. I sincerely hope it is a great night for our young Villa team."[/article]

Christian Purslow, oh what memories.

I was in the pub watching Man U Chelsea during the 13/14 season and he walked in halfway through the second half and asked what the score was. I couldn't believe it. We were like two points off Chelsea and Man U were winning. Something like that anyway. How could you be so not arsed? Also he ordered a bottle of bud.

Seriously what's the fucking point

Let's watch Salah or mane get fucking crippled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom