• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Ryder Cup

I've got a bad feeling about this one and I can see the US winning comfortably...perhaps 17-11ish.

For the first day pairings I'd go with:

Foursomes - Rose and Stenson, McIlroy and Garcia, Westwood and Willett, Keymer and Pieters.

Fourballs - Rose and Wood, McIlroy and Sullivan, Garcia and Cabrera-Bello, Willett and Fitzpatrick.

I am not so confident either knowing they are going to set the course up to suit their players who by and large are better putters than the Euros. So expect wide open fairways, easy rough, generous pin positions softish greens.

I think Europe can get something from 2 or 3 of the first set of matches.
Really don't like the Pieters/Westwood pairing but I can see why Clarke done it.
I think we'll see no comeback this time if we fall behind early.
Just not enough of fired up leaders in the team.
Hope I'm wrong though.

I think Europe can get something from 2 or 3 of the first set of matches.
Really don't like the Pieters/Westwood pairing but I can see why Clarke done it.
I think we'll see no comeback this time if we fall behind early.
Just not enough of fired up leaders in the team.
Hope I'm wrong though.

Don't understand that one - two average putters put together.

Ive done Speith top US points scorer and Stenson top Europe points scorer. Unfortunately, I did them before the draw was made and now find out that are playing each other in the first game today. So not too happy about that.

Ive also backed the correct scores as below:

14-14
Europe 14 1/2 - 13 1/2 USA
USA 14 1/2 - 13 1/2 Europe

I think it will be tight as you can tell.

Reactions: ILD
I'm no expert on golf but have just done a simple - USA to win - bet, the reasons being; home advantage, too many rookies in EU team.......and I don't think Darren Clarke engenders the same team spirit in this "team" as previous EU captains have.

Westwood is having a absolute mare, might as well concede now! He hasn't hit a fairway yet , hit into water twice, hasn't holed a put and missed a 2 foot tap in. 5 down after 8. Just what the rookie needed. Please don't slap him in the fourballs Darren.

Westwood is having a absolute mare, might as well concede now! He hasn't hit a fairway yet , hit into water twice, hasn't holed a put and missed a 2 foot tap in. 5 down after 8. Just what the rookie needed. Please don't slap him in the fourballs Darren.
He shouldn't have been picked in the first place.
Safe cowardly pick from Clarke.
Lowry and Knox must be pissing themselves looking at him.

Lol at Sullivan.
Another choke artist.
I'm happy in a way because the two wildcard picks were pure bollix.
Reap what you sow Darren.

This is a fucking disaster. Lucky I'm fucked and don't care. Until I wake up tomorrow.

And if they can get it back to 3-5 he has to stick with the form players and bring in the two other rookies in the morning four balls...so...

Rose and Stenson
McIlroy and Pieters
Garcia and Cabrera-Bello
Fitzpatrick and Wood

Westwood was shocking this morning. That hole were DJ went in the water and he followed him in. Experienced player doesn't do that.

We have done great if we can get 5-3 overnight.

Agree keep Garcia and Cabrera-bello together.

Big day tomorrow.

Yeah...it's looking like a Ryder Cup too far for Westwood.

Stenson and Sergio have been brilliant tonight.

That's why Sergio is so important. Just let two holes slip, puts an arm around the rookie and says words to the effect, don't worry son, we have 2 left 3 to play.

Brilliant from Rory.

Fast start tommorow morning and anything is possible.

Oh wow.. The yanks won't like that Rory celebration. Now they have 2 public enemies. The 'fucking come on' will be played over and over.

He's picked the right eight for this morning. I'm a big fan of Westwood but neither he nor Keymer should play again until the singles. Willett and Sullivan did OK yesterday so either can come in for the fourballs if needs be. I'm really looking forward to seeing Chris Wood today...I think he's going to be great.

Lol at Sullivan.
Another choke artist.
I'm happy in a way because the two wildcard picks were pure bollix.
Reap what you sow Darren.

Harsh on Sullivan but as you said before Knox and Casey in particular will be spitting feathers over the Westwood pick. Still you makes your bed and you lie in it so I haven't got any sympathy for them at all!

Someone was saying on the radio this morning that Casey declared himself unavailable for selection though.

Casey quit as a member of the European Tour over a year ago and in so doing made himself ineligible for the team.

Someone was saying on the radio this morning that Casey declared himself unavailable for selection though.

Yup but he is still spitting feathers that he was ruled out if you read this interview

Arizona-based Casey last year opted against joining the European Tour, therefore rendering himself ineligible for this year's Ryder Cup, which takes place in September at Hazeltine National, Minnesota.
Keith Pelley, the European Tour chief executive, has insisted his organisation made it "very easy" for players to keep hold of their membership after cutting the qualifying requirement from 13 tournaments to five -- a number than now excludes majors and World Golf Championships.
World No.30 Casey, however, revealed his frustration with the current system, claiming his position inside the world's top 50 put him at a disadvantage under the new rules.
"I was really frustrated when I read Keith Pelley's press release," he told the Times. "It was infuriating actually. He was saying he had done everything he could to make it easier for Paul Casey to play the European Tour. Keith Pelley -- you did not. He made it easier for guys outside the top 50. I appreciate that, don't get me wrong.
"I have had no second thoughts. As recently as the Open last year I was leaning towards joining the European Tour. But, deep down I was hoping there would be a shift in the membership requirements.
"The reality is that there hasn't been. Not for me anyway. I know the new rules help those outside the top 50. But I'm inside the top 50 and so playing five outside the WGCs and the majors is pretty much exactly the same as what they wanted from guys in my position before the rule change.
"I like to think that, if Samuel Ryder were alive today and saw the present situation, he would be saying that this was not what he envisioned when he came up with the original idea for the matches. Last time I looked I was European, so that should be enough to make me eligible. I've never agreed that to be eligible you should have to be a European Tour member."
Only seven Europeans sit above Casey in the world golf rankings and the 38-year-old admitted his annoyance at the fact defending champions Europe would enter the competition without their strongest squad.

Last edited:
The teams for the foursomes looks much better this morning, looking forward to Matt Fitzpatricks debut - a star in the making, great to team him up with Stenson. Surely Reed cannot play as well as he did yesterday morning, high hopes for the Spaniards- come on Europe!

Think I'd take 2-2 in the morning sessions.
They look close games.
Hopefully Mclroy and Pieters get off to a flyer and set the tone.

This is a brilliant competition. Tight as can be, and both teams playing out of their skins.

Back
Top Bottom