• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The who should we sign in January thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supposedly monitoring a defender called Loic Bade. His french, so resting-bitch-face comes naturally

Posted this opinion before, but surely a more helpful video compilation for a defender would show how he fucks up rather than makes the odd tackle. Or - even better - to represent the tackle:fuckup ratio in a proportionately accurate way.
For me, right now it’s about as helpful as a promo video highlighting all the lovely parts of Weston-Super-Mare.

Unless we wheel someone out in the next day or so Jota style, no ones coming are they?

It seems incredibly short sighted not to bring in a CB. Hopefully they know something we don't because otherwise it's the mother of all lost opportunities to keep a grasp of our dominance over the rest.

Very hard to see us winning the league, or CL, without a defensive reinforcement.

Van Dijk back in training next month. There, I'm calling it

In the past, we've been averaging about a six week setback early on when they return to training after that kind of injury - Ox, Brewster, Gomez... They come back, the hopes rise, and then they develop a niggle and they're back in rehab. So: as you were.

The defenders we are left with are not quick enough to play the high line. Get someone in Jurgen or hand the title over to one of the manc clubs

I actually don't think he has a choice which Manchester club - it will be City - they look more solid than ever before right now in terms of balance between defence and attack. In any case we are looking at a third place finish at best - I don't think we have a hope in hell due to our defensive issues and fiddling about with formations to the extent where we play Jordan Henderson in defence. We have no chance this season and what a fucked up way to give up the title, the three games we should have won - the 9 points we should have got, given away like fucking shits. It seems one of the characters that has defined us in the premier league error is to be the only team that is leading at Christmas / New Year to only not win the title in the end, by the end of the season - we have our hattrick of Christmas Lead to eventual league fuck up.

5392.jpg

Arsenal have offered us Sokratis apparently. Maybe Tsimikas is feeling lonely.

Arsenal have offered us Sokratis apparently. Maybe Tsimikas is feeling lonely.

He actually crossed my mind the other day given he has history with Klopp at Dortmund. A bit shit, but if it were a loan he'd fill the gap for 2 months ok.

He actually crossed my mind the other day given he has history with Klopp at Dortmund. A bit shit, but if it were a loan he'd fill the gap for 2 months ok.
True, a loan move wouldn't bother me too much.
I mean he is better than our two reserves.

If, as we suspect, the board won't sanction a big money signing in this transfer window then a short-term solution is to buy a (reasonably) cheap experienced CB. Obviously this won't happen but I'd try and tempt Burnley with a direct swap Ben Mee for Saqiri (valuing both at about £15m). Mee is a very clever CB and Burnley's defensive record is always better when Mee plays (he missed 6 or 7 games at the start of the season and were dodgy at the back without him..........since he's back they've been much tighter). That said, he rarely misses games and has missed few games over the last 7 or 8 seasons. He has also played many games at left back (early in his career - he switched to CB about 3 seasons ago) so will be great cover for Robbo when our CB's return from injury.

We could offer Shaq (firm sale) and Nat Phillips (on loan) to sweeten the deal - or Phillips permanent and Shaq on loan. He's 31 so obviously not one for the future but I reckon he'd do a very good job and could even become our new Milner i.e. 5 seasons of solid, dependable service.

He's not on big wages at Burnley (nobody is) so we could offer £65k a week (on an initial 2 year deal) and he'd be happy. WBA and Sheff Utd are fucked, so there's only one relegation spot up for grabs this season and Burnley should be fairly sure of avoiding the drop. Added to that, they lack creativity and Shaq could deliver some cracking balls for their big forwards to feast on.
I wouldn't want to lose Shaqiri for a CB right now with our front line hugely firing and not creating. Shaqiri is proving himself an essential player to bring off the bench and I suspect will gain us 9 points plus by the end of the season.

Origi is another story.

Nascimento Mauricio is being offered by Napoli's owner. His contract ends this summer. No idea how good he is.

I've said it before - once Van Dijk went down with that injury, it was City's league to lose. He was the player we could least afford to lose, and that was then compounded by losing Gomez. Our backup - a free transfer and youth. City have 50m defenders serving tea. We don't compete on an even playing field. It is frustrating at this time, as we made a decent fist of it for the first 10 weeks - and maybe we will come again. But a few horrific VAR games and additional injuries to Jota, Thiago, and the perennially crocked Shaq, Keita, Ox and Matip have not helped.

I've said it before - once Van Dijk went down with that injury, it was City's league to lose. He was the player we could least afford to lose, and that was then compounded by losing Gomez. Our backup - a free transfer and youth. City have 50m defenders serving tea. We don't compete on an even playing field. It is frustrating at this time, as we made a decent fist of it for the first 10 weeks - and maybe we will come again. But a few horrific VAR games and additional injuries to Jota, Thiago, and the perennially crocked Shaq, Keita, Ox and Matip have not helped.

But we should have bought a defender. Klopp went into this season knowing that both Gomez and Matip couldn't be relied upon to stay fit. So he was banking on his best player being an ever present again and getting by with Fabinho if needs be. Either way now, we need someone who will push Gomez and Matip out, by a) being good enough and b) having a good fitness record. That was the same in the Summer, the only thing that's changed is that the inevitable has happened.

I agree, we've been hit bad by injuries, but the areas with the least depth are the ones where we've been hit hard. Trent and Robbo have also paid the price for playing too much football. We bought a left back who's been totally inconsequential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom