• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Wes Sneijder - good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reuque

Well-Known
Serious interest from LFC on Sneijder says Goal - Liverpool held talks with Sneijder's representatives on Monday
Goal.com says Liverpool are set to step up their Sneijder pursuit.

Goal: "A number of meetings are scheduled in the next 24 hours but there is serious interest from Liverpool and Wesley would like to see if they follow that through," a source close to the deal told Goal.com. "This is a big decision at this moment in his career from a football and personal perspective."

The Reds held talks with Sneijder's representatives on Monday, which have been described as "constructive", as they look to make use of the wages freed up by the departures of high-earners Joe Cole and Nuri Şahin in January

Why are we the only big ones in for Wesley? Not that I mind, but is there trouble therein?

Yeah Ramirez snubbed Liverpool for Southampton, because he's been a lifelong fan. Terrible writing all around, including the Reina story.

Why are we the only big ones in for Wesley? Not that I mind, but is there trouble therein?

Yeah Ramirez snubbed Liverpool for Southampton, because he's been a lifelong fan. Terrible writing all around, including the Reina story.
This Sniejder thing is strange, he clearly does not fancy going out to grass in the Turkish league, and has burnt bridges with current club. The figures I saw before suggested Gala had offered 6.5m for him and 82k a week, Euro that is. Surely that has to be OK. Twitter are also saying that we have spoken and he has lowered his original expectations, and are not that far apart.
Who knows perhaps there is something in it.

regards

This Sniejder thing is strange, he clearly does not fancy going out to grass in the Turkish league, and has burnt bridges with current club. The figures I saw before suggested Gala had offered 6.5m for him and 82k a week, Euro that is. Surely that has to be OK. Twitter are also saying that we have spoken and he has lowered his original expectations, and are not that far apart.
Who knows perhaps there is something in it.

regards

If that is true, that could be a great deal. I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

I'd love Sniejder here, but we've got to ask ourselves why only some ropey turkish lot want him? If he's still so good then why aren't any of the big names after him? They could easy pay the wages he's currently on if they wanted to. Smells fishy.

I'd love Sniejder here, but we've got to ask ourselves why only some ropey turkish lot want him? If he's still so good then why aren't any of the big names after him? They could easy pay the wages he's currently on if they wanted to. Smells fishy.
Galatasaray are a great name in European football imo.

Is the Sneijder wages reported net or gross? Somehow I suspect that is in his pocket and that again would mean 150 k or so in UK.

Somehow whenever Sneijder plays for Inter, then always look worse and lose. Maybe he's not quite as good as he thinks he is at this point.

Sneijder ... sounds like a great idea but would we rather spunk 8 million + massive wages for 2-3 years, or would we rather save that money and put it into an Eriksen or other big time talent in the summer? We need to think about the club and where we want to go - not short term fixes on a player who, while brilliant on his day, can be terribly inconsistent.

Sneijder ... sounds like a great idea but would we rather spunk 8 million + massive wages for 2-3 years, or would we rather save that money and put it into an Eriksen or other big time talent in the summer? We need to think about the club and where we want to go - not short term fixes on a player who, while brilliant on his day, can be terribly inconsistent.

It strikes me a bit like the Joe Cole thing - the idea of Sneijder is probably better than the man himself.

This is Sneijder ffs, who could be at affordable money.

regards

We need to be smart with our money ... I think this is far far riskier than you're making it out to be. Injuries have been a problem in Italy, he's got an attitude and coming into a bloody tough league. He could be great ... but is it a risk we can take currently?

Galatasaray have revealed the size of the offer accepted by Inter Milan for Wesley Sneijder, with £6.2m the going rate.

"We'll wait another three or four days for Sneijder," said Gala president Unal Aysal.

"If the deal collapses, we have alternatives. The figures quoted in the media are wrong. Our deal with Inter is worth €7.5million (£6.2m).

"The player knows our proposal. Inter are now calculating things with him. Our offer for his wages is below €5.5million. It is also true that our coach Fatih Terim wants Sneijder - he is the first name on the list.

"I see no reason why the transfer should not go through. Even if it does collapse, it won't be the end of the world."

So we never buy an established player again because of Joe Cole.
We might as well put the shutters up switch the lights off and fuck off.
We are in such a position that we need to take chances on players like this, I doubt if it will happen but we should do our utmost. I don't know a lot about fancy continental players , but I know enough about Sneijder to know he is a class act - Form is temporary class is permanent.

regards

The most misused statement in football.

If people were looking the average of all the players seasons and saying that was his class, fine. But typically people take the great season they remember, label it as class and then excuse all the other seasons that weren't like that.

He signs for us then doesn't reproduce form from a couple of years ago and people will claim the usual cliched bullshit - not suited to the league, never settled, not confident, instead of realising they fooled themselves into thinking they were getting something that didnt exist anymore.

We are in such a position that we need to take chances on players like this, I doubt if it will happen but we should do our utmost. I don't know a lot about fancy continental players , but I know enough about Sneijder to know he is a class act - Form is temporary class is permanent.

regards

The question is mate ... is he class? Can we afford to do what Chelsea did two years ago with Torres (who people still are convinced will be 'class' again)? The fee being bandied around isn't a big risk, but the player + wages are. He's 28, had injury problems the last year, has an attitude issue (unlike Cole), will command a starting spot that will come at the expense of Lucas or Allen, will command big wages (80 minimum I'd think?), and will not have any re-sale value. I'd feel the same way about Kaka. There are older players you can take risks on (ex: Schweinstiger, who's also 28, or even Klose, who's 34) but I think we'd be taking a risk here which we shouldn't.

regards
Sneijder can be inconsistent though and then there's the small matter of 200k a week wages . Is he worth that amount of money at the age of 28? im not totally convinced and nor are many clubs it seems as only Gala want him.

Vlad - something feels wrong about this - why are none if the big teams going near him.

Fair enough - if the transfer fee is reasonable and his wages are reasonable - and he's got the desire, then it could be great.

Something, just doesn't seem right - be it injury, attitude, desire or financials.

It almost has a whiff of the Acquilani's about it.

I might just be being overly cautious.

Lets say it all works out with Schneider, we sign him and he's good for four years (which I think is highly unlikely given how inconsistent he has been over his career) - what does it mean for the club?

What difference does he make? How far up the league do we shoot?

Lets say it all works out with Schneider, we sign him and he's good for four years (which I think is highly unlikely given how inconsistent he has been over his career) - what does it mean for the club?

If he played consistently at his best (which like you said he's NEVER done) then he would definitely take us up to the next level to be genuine challengers of a top 4 position. He has great vision and can shoot. But ive seen him go missing many times when he's taken a few kicks. I haven't seen him get to that peak level since mourinho left inter.

Stevie raises an excellent point - if he's really available for so cheap (6-8), why on earth are no other clubs going after him?

If we're really in for him, I'd rather we loan him with a an option to buy.

You don't count you can't even spell his name

regards

And its not the most over used phrase in football, it is a truism, and like most truisms there are exceptions.

regards

And its not the most over used phrase in football, it is a truism, and like most truisms there are exceptions.

regards

You can't even read, never mind spell. I said misused.

I think it's a retardism as opposed to a truism - remembering one exceptional year and presuming he'll do it again because 'class is permanent' - when all your doing is mistaking form for class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom