• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What's your first memory of LFC in Europe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leftpeg

Well-Known
So to mark our return to the European Cup (sorry, I'm an old timer), what's your first European memory?

I don't remember the 76/77 campaign nor much of the early rounds of 77/78. But that night at Wembley was the night I fell in love with Kenny Dalglish. I've no recollection of losing to Forest but I do recall losing to Dinamo Tblisi in 79/80. Knocking out CSKA Sofia and Bayern Munich on the way to meeting Real Madrid in the 81 final was immense.

I've a couple of funny memories of '81. Anyone else remember the little white stickers the players had to wear to cover the Umbro logo on their shirts? Or the subs tops that were basically wooly jumpers?

The Auxerre game. Mark Walters. Remember being there.

Also remember us playing Spartak Vladikavkaz, I kept the match ticket for this one as I liked the name. Still have it now.

I was only born in 81 so because of the ban, didn't see any European football until the 90s.

I cant think what year that was, probably 92 or 93?

Are they still actually a team?

Houillier's treble season i think, can't actually remember us being in it the season before

Getting beat 1-0 at home by Brondby. Think that was my first Liverpool game. Either that or drawing 0-0 against Spartak Moscow. As you can see, I was somewhat of a lucky charm for the reds - a trend that has continued as time has gone by. I can boast quite an enviable record of having seen us win live about 3 times in around 15 games.

I can't remember that far back any more ! Been to a few EC matches with my father and/or my 'uncle' (neighbour) before that, but the one that stands out, head and shoulders as my top early memory, is St Etienne in '77 and Fairclough's winner :D

Roma 84, watching it with my Dad pacing around the room biting his nails (he was a blue!), I was 8. I'm sure there were probably games before that, but I don't remember, Roma just sticks in the memory. Then a year later, watching Heysel in my Aunties house and wondering how the fuck that could happen at a football match. Even then I remember saying to myself, "how the fuck has this game gone ahead?".

That game in the treble winning season where we won about 6-5 after extra time, might have been the final you know. (yes I know it's only the UEFA cup)

St Etienne 1977 was the first memory of really being excited about Europe, though the 6-0 win against Real Sociedad in 1975 is probably my earliest memory.
First game I went to was 4-0 v Lech Poznan in 1984.

Home tie against genoa in 91/92 lost 2-1 rushie scored. It was my first european tie.

1977 for me, great win especially after only losing the sodding fa cup to the mancs a week earlier, bloody jimmy greenhoff

looking forward to tonight , it's back !!!!

2004 qualifier versus some Austrian team (Graz???). Didnt yet have an understanding of the rules of European competition or qualifying. Didnt understand why the new manager wasnt playing Owen or why this was a big deal.

Great first European campaign to remember. Inauspicious start though.

I have fuggy memories of big ears number 4.... the first European game I can ever remember being excited to sit down and watch was Heysel.

My first game was Auxerre.

Mental... truly fucking mental that was...

Liverpool - Monaco 2:0 September 15, 2004. My first LFC game ever, not just in Europe. I'll never forget this game. We were playing so much crisp one-touch passing, just toying with the opponents, Xabi and Gerrard looked like gods (which they were), Cisse and Baros looked like world-class strikers (which they weren't), Garcia was lively and inventive, Rafa looked like a new incarnation of Lobanovskiy on the touchline in his first CL game in charge of Liverpool. I was instantly smitten and was an LFC fan ever since.

My first ever was in the quarter finals of the 06-07 against PSV. We were wearing yellow and Riise scored a blinder. That was the first game I ever saw period. At the time the Champion's League was on ESPN in the US and you had to subscribe to Fox soccer to get EPL, so Champions League was all I had for a while.

Liverpool - Monaco 2:0 September 15, 2004. My first LFC game ever, not just in Europe. I'll never forget this game. We were playing so much crisp one-touch passing, just toying with the opponents, Xabi and Gerrard looked like gods (which they were), Cisse and Baros looked like world-class strikers (which they weren't), Garcia was lively and inventive, Rafa looked like a new incarnation of Lobanovskiy on the touchline in his first CL game in charge of Liverpool. I was instantly smitten and was an LFC fan ever since.

I remember this game. Garcia played behind Cisse in the no. 10 role, and played a peach of a ball for Cisse to score. Rafa never tried that combination thereafter; always used to send Cisse out wide right where he was terrible.

Alonso was majestic in this game as well.

My first memory is the treble season, but for the life of me I can't remember any game before the semi-final against Barca where McAllister scored that penalty.

Watching on TV as Red Star Belgrade took us apart at Anfield in '73. I remember being confused as to why the crowd were clapping at the end when we'd lost. My Dad explained all, I must have took it all in as it just confirmed for me that the club was special.

I remember this game. Garcia played behind Cisse in the no. 10 role, and played a peach of a ball for Cisse to score. Rafa never tried that combination thereafter; always used to send Cisse out wide right where he was terrible.

Alonso was majestic in this game as well.

Baros was unlucky more than once with partners. He played two or three games alongside Heskey when Owen was out for a spell and I thought that combo had some promise too.

The first European tie I remember well (not the first in my time as a Red, but the earlier ones are a bit of a blur after all these years!) saw us win our first European trophy, the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup (forerunner of the Europa League), against Moenchengladbach in a two-legged final in 1973. I was in Germany myself on my year out, but I listened to both legs on the radio. I was on a train from Offenbach to Frankfurt shortly before the first leg and this German fella asked me who I was supporting. Naturally I said Liverpool, so he asked why. I said I was born there, to which his answer was "Yeah, but you've got to support a German team, haven't you?". When I said "Actually no, I'm English myself" his jaw almost hit the floor. Wish I could speak German that well now. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom