• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Why Leicester are title challengers again

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as Klopp drilled them into thinking that they cannot afford to lose even a point, it’s all good. That win at all cost mentality is what’s missing with us and the never say die attitude. If we keep that sort of mentality intact, it be hard to crack us.

Annoyed by Leicester's resurgence as us beating City to the title would somehow feel better as revenge than a race with Leicester. It's annoying enough that they've won the league once during our 3 decade dry spell!
Every decade or two, you will get a long shot winning the title. It happened in 1995/96 and 20 years later 2015/16. Then you have Derby winning it in 71/72, although they did repeat it in a couple years, but that's that. Villa on 81/82.

Leicester have to play City whilst we are in Qatar.. It will either be a draw or a city win...

So we will still be 7 or 8 points clear when we come back, with a game in hand..

There next game is then against us..

Title could well be wrapped up before Jan If we win that...

I am not worried in the slightest about Leicester, so they have hit a purple patch..

City then ourselves will be a test to far for them..

Given the form of the two teams I can see Leicester getting at least a point from City.

Since leaving us, he seems to have learned a lesson. Enough to steer clear of the Clint Dempsey, Christian Benteke and Joe Allen type-- decent mid-table players but nowhere near good enough for a team challenging.

It's a bit early to be making this claim.

I don't think he's signed a player yet for Leicester. He also signed a few cloggers for Celtic. Although Dembele was a good signing.

As of 22:10 on Boxing Day we'll be 11 (Eleven) points clear of Leicester with a game in hand.
Or we lose againts Watford and Leicester beat Norwich and City, they will be 2 points behind us. Then if they win boxing day, they will be top of the table. Its not over yet.

Given the form of the two teams I can see Leicester getting at least a point from City.
At the very least. Like I said before Utd played City, being able to boast a good defense & having pacy direct attackers means you have a great chance of being able to punish City.

It's fair to say that Leicester boast the best of both of those qualities in current form.

Liverpool fans celebrating their 18th League title vs Liverpool fans celebrating their 19th League title
fa1ad1bd8b92c533fbd2eaf5fafd9765.jpg

Every decade or two, you will get a long shot winning the title. It happened in 1995/96 and 20 years later 2015/16. Then you have Derby winning it in 71/72, although they did repeat it in a couple years, but that's that. Villa on 81/82.

Which long shot won the league in 95/96?

He's a great coach. His eye for talent is questionable, though. Which is why he needed (and still needs) a [good] director of football above him.

Since leaving us, he seems to have learned a lesson. Enough to steer clear of the Clint Dempsey, Christian Benteke and Joe Allen type-- decent mid-table players but nowhere near good enough for a team challenging.

Oh, he's a smart negotiator, too. He squeezed Leicester there for a new contract.

I was about to post something similar. Brendan is an excellent trainer and skilled tactician (and a beautiful human being, obviously), but it's a blessing in disguise that this Leicester team already came to him fully (and masterfully) assembled by someone else. When it comes to depth and breadth of scouting knowledge, particularly when it comes to other leagues, he is several levels below Klopp. Jurgen seems to have at a minimum a passing knowledge about pretty much every young player in Europe worth following; he knew about Wijnaldum since his early days in Feyenoord, was a fan of Mane back when he was playing for Salzburg and somehow knew about Joe Gomez while still managing in Dortmund. His total lack of cultural prejudice and confidence in his own ability to recognize talent helped him find many under-the-radar talents – the likes of Kagawa, Lewandowski, Robbo, etc. Whereas Rodgers' vision was so narrow that he honestly couldn't think of a better standard-bearer of his playing style at Liverpool than Joe Allen, who happened to play for him at Swansea, and many of his other buys or attempted buys frankly showed the imagination of a caterpillar.

Maybe by now he's learned from his experience of butting heads with Liverpool's transfer "committee" and will now be smart and humble enough to focus mainly on coaching. But I suspect the longer he's in charge of Leicester, the worse their squad is going to become.

Last edited:
They’ve yet to beat any of the top teams. Their two losses were against us and United. Since then drew with others around them. I don’t think they are going to go on and win all their matches.

Leicester players are known to down tools when things don’t go their way. Rodgers is also quite well known for running players the wrong way especially when he get the chance to splurge those cash.

It all boils down to whether they could keep their players this January and also next summer. That’s when you see the real Rodgers come into play. They’ve been very lucky with VAR, with 10points decision going to their favour.

They are a bit too close to my liking to be honest. But so remember, like the time they won the league, teams don’t take them seriously yet. That could change come second half of the season. We shall see.

A few factors that is going their way, no euro football, no injuries and VAR-dy is on form. That made their run looked this impressive.
They've beaten both Spurs (2-1) and Arsenal (2-1) and drew away at Chelsea (1-1). Yes I know it's debatable to call all of them 'top teams' at this moment.

You are making a lot of assumptions with regard to Rodgers and player management. His issues in that regard were years ago now. VAR decisions going in their favour doesn't mean they were wrong so not a 'gain' of 10 points but just in effect 'justice'. That doesn't mean VAR will be advantageous to any team over the second half of the season. Unless you are a conspiracy theorist of course.

All that said I don't want to disrespect this Leicester team and I believe they will keep going (with no Euro football and now a 6 point advantage) and may run City close for second. For the title though it comes down to mathematics. Leicester have dropped 10 points in their first 16 games, extrapolating from that it is likely that there are another 13-14 points they'll drop over the remaining 22 games (to say nothing of what may happen if they are under title winning pressure). I don't believe, and I really doubt anyone of sound mind does, that they can reel off 14-17 wins on the trot, that City or Liverpool are capable of doing.

Therefore that's, let's say, being generous, 13 points plus the 8 they are already behind, so that's 21 points that they'll need us to drop. For example over the next 22 games : LFC 12-6-3 and LCFC 15-5-2. For Leicester that may be realistic on their 1st half of the season form but for Liverpool 12-6-3 is clearly very very unlikely and for every extra point we gain on 12-6-3 it means LCFC would need to be even better than that 15-5-2, which really doesn't seem realistic. The Bookies odds of 30/1 against Leicester winning the title seems overly generous however even at 10/1 it is realistic of the true likelihood of it happening.

City vs Leicester on the 21st and then our visit to Leicester on the 26th will be massive in deciding if Leicester can challenge us or whether just 14 or 15 wins would be more than sufficient to see us home (but I'd love to see us beat City's record) !

Last edited:
I was about to post something similar. Brendan is an excellent trainer and skilled tactician (and a beautiful human being, obviously), but it's a blessing in disguise that this Leicester team already came to him fully (and masterfully) assembled by someone else. When it comes to depth and breadth of scouting knowledge, particularly when it comes to other leagues, he is several levels below Klopp. Jurgen seems to have at a minimum a passing knowledge about pretty much every young player in Europe worth following; he knew about Wijnaldum since his early days in Feyenoord, was a fan of Mane back when he was playing for Salzburg and somehow knew about Joe Gomez while still managing in Dortmund. His total lack of cultural prejudice and confidence in his own ability to recognize talent helped him find many under-the-radar talents – the likes of Kagawa, Lewandowski, Robbo, etc. Whereas Rodgers' vision was so narrow that he honestly couldn't think of a better standard-bearer of his playing style at Liverpool than Joe Allen, who happened to play for him at Swansea, and many of his other buys or attempted buys frankly showed the imagination of a caterpillar.

Maybe by now he's learned from his experience of butting heads with Liverpool's transfer "committee" and will now be smart and humble enough to focus mainly on coaching. But I suspect the longer he's in charge of Leicester, the worse their squad is going to become.
I think you might want to give Zorc a lot of credit on some of those names mentioned, like Kagawa and Lewandowski. Robertson is not someone he looked at, nor Salah, I think that credit should be given to our recruitment department.

I also don't think Rodgers is a good tactician as he only knows how to setup his team when it worked well, as soon as something goes wrong and he needed to chop and change, that is where he started to fail. Cast your mind back at his days with us, he wanted to play his Swansea style and found that results weren't forthcoming. So he switched to having to accommodate Sturridge and Suarez in the line up while needing to include Gerrard in the setup. He stumbled across a winning formula and went with it for 18 months. As soon as we lost Suarez, he reverted back to his Swansea style of play and again not getting much results out of it. He then changed to a 3 back, and that stopped us from leaking goals but not scoring enough to go top. He had some 11 or 12 unbeaten run until it went unhinged against United. That's where he lost confidence in his 3 back setup and changed it again, and downhill we went from there.

So I don't think he is a master tactician, good coach no doubt. A master tactician will always be able to do well in Europe, at least to the knockout stages.

They've beaten both Spurs (2-1) and Arsenal (2-1) and drew away at Chelsea (1-1). Yes I know it's debatable to call all of them 'top teams' at this moment.
Spurs and Arsenal aren't exactly teams around them mate.... Chelsea took a point off them, that's my point. 🙂

Those were different eras. Money was not as much THE driving force in the game as it is today.

2015/16 was an anomaly with all of the top 6 undergoing transformation/regeneration, which isn't the case today with us or City's £1 billion squad (that depth compensates to a greater degree). Leicester won that with 81 points FFS (and 10 points clear!). It's pointless even bringing it up as far as relevance goes.

I think you might want to give Zorc a lot of credit on some of those names mentioned, like Kagawa and Lewandowski. Robertson is not someone he looked at, nor Salah, I think that credit should be given to our recruitment department.

I also don't think Rodgers is a good tactician as he only knows how to setup his team when it worked well, as soon as something goes wrong and he needed to chop and change, that is where he started to fail. Cast your mind back at his days with us, he wanted to play his Swansea style and found that results weren't forthcoming. So he switched to having to accommodate Sturridge and Suarez in the line up while needing to include Gerrard in the setup. He stumbled across a winning formula and went with it for 18 months. As soon as we lost Suarez, he reverted back to his Swansea style of play and again not getting much results out of it. He then changed to a 3 back, and that stopped us from leaking goals but not scoring enough to go top. He had some 11 or 12 unbeaten run until it went unhinged against United. That's where he lost confidence in his 3 back setup and changed it again, and downhill we went from there.

So I don't think he is a master tactician, good coach no doubt. A master tactician will always be able to do well in Europe, at least to the knockout stages.

Spurs and Arsenal aren't exactly teams around them mate.... Chelsea took a point off them, that's my point. 🙂
Spurs will absolutely be contending for 4th. Form vs Class etc. So yes definitely around them. And if I remember correctly then Arsenal were much higher placved than now at the time they played Leicester.

Those were different eras. Money was not as much THE driving force in the game as it is today.

2015/16 was an anomaly with all of the top 6 undergoing transformation/regeneration, which isn't the case today with us or City's £1 billion squad (that depth compensates to a greater degree). Leicester won that with 81 points FFS (and 10 points clear!). It's pointless even bringing it up as far as relevance goes.
Alright, you win.

Not going to make any point about how good or bad Leicester is in a Liverpool forum. Learnt my lesson awhile back.

Another one I've just seen on Twitter:

Liverpool : Pts46 P16 PPG 2.875
Leicester : Pts35 P15 PPG 2.33
Man City : Pts32 P16 PPG 2
If Liverpool's closest rivals, Leicester manage to perform at their current level, they are set to achieve 88.54 points.
In order to achieve 90 points Liverpool need just 44 points from 22 games, which is basically top 4 form.

Leicester will probably need to win 19 out of their last 22 games to have a chance. That’s not going to happen.

You guys are taking Leicester and Rodgers far too lightly. They dispatched Aston Villa 4-1 away. We struggled to beat them 2-1 if I remember. They could very well turn us over as they seem to be improving with each game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom