• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Wolves (A) - FA Cup 3rd Round

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine playing a full strength side and still getting beat.

In which case we'd have to reflect on the fact that our strongest team just isn't good enough. Title-winning sides get over the lines in spite of being patched-up and struggling with niggles all over the pitch, week in, week out, because they're very good and they're also incredibly strong and focused mentally. Too much rotation too often and it gets into players' minds that they're all just a bit fragile. This fan base has been so used to failure that it's become almost laughably fearful of anything that could possibly undermine a rare challenge. It's as if the fans are a collective Mrs Pike and the team her scarf-coddled son. This is a BIG team. It's supposed to be capable of winning everything, not nervously surrendering entire competitions for fear it will otherwise collapse. City aren't like that. The old Ginsoak teams weren't like that. Mourinho's old teams weren't like that. They were confident, bordering on cocky, and they scared other teams, rather than themselves. This team needs to act like it's a steely machine, not a matchstick model.

That's a decent list of players. Hopefully it figures out how to be a team quickly, because off the ball it's no fun especially down the flanks if we lose possession, and then we've got a keeper who can't deal with crosses.

If Lallana is ever going to show he's still relevant in this squad, this is the game for him to do it. Same goes for Origi. That defence is horrible.

We’re not the Champions, we’re trying to win our first league title in 3 decades, our squad is still relatively fragile, and we’re unable to get over the line half crippled like the champs of the 80’s.
Thus we should take zero risk with our important players and forget about the FA Cup which means fuck all these days.

In which case we'd have to reflect on the fact that our strongest team just isn't good enough. Title-winning sides get over the lines in spite of being patched-up and struggling with niggles all over the pitch, week in, week out, because they're very good and they're also incredibly strong and focused mentally. Too much rotation too often and it gets into players' minds that they're all just a bit fragile. This fan base has been so used to failure that it's become almost laughably fearful of anything that could possibly undermine a rare challenge. It's as if the fans are a collective Mrs Pike and the team her scarf-coddled son. This is a BIG team. It's supposed to be capable of winning everything, not nervously surrendering entire competitions for fear it will otherwise collapse. City aren't like that. The old Ginsoak teams weren't like that. Mourinho's old teams weren't like that. They were confident, bordering on cocky, and they scared other teams, rather than themselves. This team needs to act like it's a steely machine, not a matchstick model.

I've just got zero love for the domestic cups. I felt sorry for Arsenal fans cheering their pointless cup wins as if anyone else on earth gave a shit, all they did was buy a long in the tooth manager more time.

If there was a CL spot up for grabs then the FA Cup would still be relevant.

Moreno is a cunt for wanting to contribute? Don't get that.

He's maybe not that, but he's certainly shite - the kind of shite some deluded twats think Lovren is, but he's the real deal, the proper gold standard of shite, and whether he wants to play or not, he shouldn't be playing. As for winning the game, yes, I'd rather play the strongest side we can field, given injury and exhaustion, and try to win it. Hopefully we'd then get a weaker opponent in the fourth round and we could play more reserves. But if we get to the end of this season second or third in the league, out of the CL and the cup, I hope people won't forget how cavalier we were about a possible piece of silverware, because the pressure on Klopp after yet another trophyless season will be relentless. Rotate, yes, but don't bring in players who are clearly not rated - that's just throwing away an opportunity.

I've just got zero love for the domestic cups. I felt sorry for Arsenal fans cheering their pointless cup wins as if anyone else on earth gave a shit, all they did was buy a long in the tooth manager more time.

If there was a CL spot up for grabs then the FA Cup would still be relevant.

The magic of the FA cup has been dead for a while.
I know its impossible to do, seeing as the FA and football in general is run by shapeshifting moneysucking lizards.
But the right thing to do would be to bin off the league cup, and have one domestic cup.
The lower league teams are already playing 46 league games per year. Neither they or the PL teams give a flying fuck about the Crabsticks cup.

So, one domestic cup. That way more teams would actually give a toss about it.
And every PL team would always have to be drawn away in the 3rd and 4th round if up against teams outside the PL.
Thats where the magic of the cup is, and how you could get it back.

Probably be a load of shit tomorrow that game, with misplaced passes going all over the place, and our players looking around going 'der..who the fuck are you ' to each other. What a load of shit - magic of the FA Cup - win it and you get fuck all.

We've had lousy luck with this cup every year since Klopp arrived. Injuries in the first year, tough draws since then, not helped by his disjointed selections. We really need to win something, and once again we're set to act like some satiated serial league winners who can afford to throw stuff away. Sometimes you need to rotate, yes, fine, but once again we're bringing in players who should never play for us again - shit keeper, shittest left back in living memory... Back to back defeats doesn't help a team trying to compete elsewhere. Genuine contenders are brutal, greedy, proud teams, not fearful and neurotic ones. And the clock ticks on while Klopp remains the manager mocked for being the perennial loser.

They are not players who will "never pay for us again". They are the players who will have to play if Alisson or Robertson got injured. They are good enough to handle Wolves. So let them play.

BTW other fans can call Klopp the "perennial loser" for all I care. The last three managers who won the Fuck All Cup just got sacked. For good reason. It's a meaningless competition for runner ups.

They are not players who will "never pay for us again". They are the players who will have to play if Alisson or Robertson got injured.

No. They're not. And even Mourinho in his hopeless phase won a cup and the Europa League. Unlike us.

As soon as Klopp announced that Mignolet and Moreno would start tomorrow, it suggested to me that he gives zero fucks about the FA cup.

Camacho more likely to start than Hoever. Hoever has been given shirt number 51. Curtis Jones likely to be involved.

All from various hacks.

No. They're not. And even Mourinho in his hopeless phase won a cup and the Europa League. Unlike us.
You sound just like a Manc on RedCafe. Would you rather have us playing like this Liverpool team or like the Untied one ?

I also never get the 'he hasn't won anything' (with Liverpool) argument. Unless counting digits is really really important to you.
EL Final : 1st half was ours and we were in control, the second we ran out of gas (in his first season and without a proper pre-season) and that was with a team not even half 'Klopp's'.
LC : Penalties. Says it all.
CL Final : Salah and Karius. We were in control, and could have been ahead, up until the Salah incident. I feel sure we would have won that without the calamatious keeping of Karius, something not even the greatest manager the world's ever seen (whoever that is) could have legislated for.

I think he's done brilliantly to take us to three finals and have loved the ride. In the end the final is only one match and I don't think anyone can deny we've been a little unlucky but that's football.

Last edited:
This FAC argument is tiresome to be honest. There are some who believe it is still relevant and those who believe it isn't. People are entrenched in their opinions so this argument will go on and on year after year. As long as it doesn't interfere with our PL challenge I'd love us to go on and win it but I'd always prioritise PL over the FAC and I believe we currently don't have a squad, that has the depth of some other teams, to be able to put out a very strong team. IMHO only of course.

So go strong, rotate slightly of wholesale changes?

I’d love to see Robbo, VVD, Lovren and the front 3 rested but seems unlikely

Important to win I think after the defeat to city.

Would love Curtis Jones to start.

It's a tricky one isn't it.

I do like the FA cup but in comparison with the PL and Big ears it is a distraction and extra fixtures...

BUT losing two in a row would be upsetting...

And we can't expect a heavily rotated team to beat a decent Wolves team away...

And yet resting key players would be beneficial..

God knows.

I'm hoping we rotate the hell out of it and win anyway.

I'm probably more likely to watch if we play some exciting youth players who are eager to impress rather than all of our bench warmers who I think might struggle to really fight for every ball.

Nice comments from Ming.

“Of course it isn’t easy. I’ve spoken about it before - it’s not something that you want to be doing, but the team is doing so well and you just try to help the team as best as you can,” Mignolet, who is set to start Monday’s FA Cup third-round tie versus Wolverhampton Wanderers, tells Liverpoolfc.com.
“I’m behind Alisson, who is a really good goalkeeper - probably within the best five goalkeepers in the world, if not the best - and you can accept and understand it.
“We try to work hard and we get along really well as well, the both of us. I can learn from him, he can learn from me and we just try to work as hard as we can.
“Not only between the goalkeepers, but I also know that I have to be ready for if anything happens or the team needs me, and therefore I have to be working hard on a daily basis for when the chance comes along or I get called upon.
“It’s not easy, mentally especially, but I try to keep the focus as best as I can. That’s the only thing I can do really.”

An early exit would give us more time to rest players. We would get a free weekend at the end of Jan when the 5th round is playerd. Plus are we have a woeful cup final record under klopp, so its saves the inevitable heartbreak which a defeat brings.

An early exit would give us more time to rest players. We would get a free weekend at the end of Jan when the 5th round is playerd. Plus are we have a woeful cup final record under klopp, so its saves the inevitable heartbreak which a defeat brings.

Picked a helluva week to give up smokin'

Mingolet and Moreno back in the team is enough to make me shudder. I really want to win this. I hate going out of any competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom