• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Wolves Pre Match - FA Cup 4th Round @ Anfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
All eyes on Chelsea but we have to win this game so : Karius, Clyne, Matip, Gomez, Moreno, Wijnaldum, Lucas, Can, Coutinho, Sturridge, Origi.

Chelsea IMO : Mignolet ; Clyne, Matip, Lovren, Milner ; Wijnaldum, Henderson, Lallana ; Coutinho, Firmino, Ojo. Everyone will say Ojo isn't ready and Origi or Sturridge should play or Lallana changes position but I thought Ojo was disciplined against Plymouth (I know...), made tackles and was combative and crucially stayed wide and has pace which we have lacked.

Chelsea's system is all about winning the flanks with their wing backs over the half way line most of the game. We have to push them back and when they go forward we have to track them. I want our creative players in their best positions so we should not switch Lallana, Coutinho or Firmino and I don't trust Sturridge or Origi to do the dirty work as well as posing a threat out wide. Ojo is massively raw but an unknown quantity against Chelsea is just what we need and the rest of the side is the same thrilling, fast-moving team that battered everyone earlier in the season. Daft as it sounds, if I was to pick an alternative to Ojo it would be Moreno with Coutinho on the right.

The FA cup is our last chance to win a trophy.

Quite. We need to get back some cohesion and understanding ahead of Chelsea. Put out a strong XI and go for the jugular this time from the off, if it doesn't work, don't wait till the 70th fucking minute to change things.

Quite. We need to get back some cohesion and understanding ahead of Chelsea. Put out a strong XI and go for the jugular this time from the off, if it doesn't work, don't wait till the 70th fucking minute to change things.

Fair point but just can't that happening mate - I think it'll be a load of kids again.

I understand the thinking behind getting the 'first XI' (imagines Ryan imploding) firing again, but I don't think that's the problem or solution.

The main problem we're suffering from at the moment is a slight physical tiredness, compared with a massive mental tiredness too. There's quite a lot of good things about our game still, pressing, possession, even the passing from back to front, but in that final third is where you need that extra percentage of sharpness & quick thinking, & it's just not there.

I don't think playing more games alone will fix that.

Now whether an extra couple of days rest for those forward players will make a difference, I have no idea, perhaps not. Long term, having two or three players of equivalent quality to step in seems the more cogent solution, but of course that's not an option.

Mignolet
Clyne Matip Lovren Moreno
Can Stewart
Ejaria
Ojo Woodburn Wilson

He won't do it, but I'd like that side.

The obvious exclusion of Milner aside, that's our strongest defence (Milner needs a rest imo, his passing was erratic the other night & he didn't look as sharp as normal by any means), yet rests everyone who is usually involved the first XI in any attacking manner.

Crucially, that midfield trio actually seems to work when I look at it on paper.

I'm less sure about the forward line, but Woodburn in the centre has the ability to score, Wilson on the wing can be dangerous, & Ojo is comfortable there & his pace will cause issues. With Ejaria behind them breaking forwards, Can & Stewart behind them can both play a ball & Stewart is a strong presence in the DM role.

Perhaps ironically (considering wages) Moreno is the weakest link in that side above imo.

Last edited:
Sturridge set to start today. Think he'll score a couple. Missed chances on Wednesday, newspapers writing that he's finished but Klopp backing him. Hopefully he'll have a good performance today and score some goals.
Big game for him.

Lovren, Clyne and Lallana didnt train yesterday.

I have no idea what the team is going to be, and I don't think anyone does, given it will be somewhere between the kids and stiffs of the Plymouth game and full strength.

Don't think Lallana will start. Or Milner.

Think Can will, certainly Matip - who was understandably mediocre in his first game back - and one of Origi or Sturridge. Maybe even both.

Other than the possible, horrible likelihood of fucking Lucas, I wouldn't guess the rest

We need to play big teams as we can beat them *shrugs shoulders*
Wolves will be buzzing for this..

I've sought the seers. Corresponded with the oracle at Delphi. Dropped mesclun with the great chiefs of the west and even spun my Harry Potter time turner - Don't worry fellas. Today we win and win big X

I've sought the seers. Corresponded with the oracle at Delphi. Dropped mesclun with the great chiefs of the west and even spun my Harry Potter time turner - Don't worry fellas. Today we win and win big X
Score line Red? and I'll bang a bet on pal

I have no idea what the team is going to be, and I don't think anyone does, given it will be somewhere between the kids and stiffs of the Plymouth game and full strength.

Don't think Lallana will start. Or Milner.

Think Can will, certainly Matip - who was understandably mediocre in his first game back - and one of Origi or Sturridge. Maybe even both.

Other than the possible, horrible likelihood of fucking Lucas, I wouldn't guess the rest

Despite me wanting to go for a good team, I agree on Milner, I think he looks absolutlely shattered and he's the one player I do think really looks like he needs a rest. I really hope Can doesn't play, just because I'm sick to the back teeth of watching him stroll around the pitch fouling people and generally offering fuck all. I'm kind of inclined to see Sturridge given another go, just because I'm not quite giving up on him yet, and because Origi has been so out of form too. I'd also like to see us mix it up, because why the fuck not?

If we're not going to play with a winger, then why set up the team with a striker/playmaker who is clearly uncomfortable there? IT'S NOT WORKING. Let the fullbacks provide the width.

------------------Karius------------------
Clyne------Matip---Lovren--Moreno-
----------------Henderson--------------
------------Lallana--Wijnaldum-------
------Firmino-------------Coutinho----
---------------Sturridge------------------

Origi and not Studge. Can understand that he gets a start aswell. Lets hope he takes his chance and gets a goal.

Holy shit Lucas starts, that changes everything. We're certain to lose now.
Aye, Brendan?

Karius, Randall, Gomez, Klavan, Moreno, Lucas, Ejaria, Wijnaldum, Woodburn, Firmino, Origi. Subs: Mignolet, Milner, Stewart, Can, Wilson, Coutinho, Sturridge.

Looks like this I think:

------------------Karius------------------
Randall----Gomez--Karius-Moreno
------------------Lucas------------------
-----------Ejaria------Wijnaldum------
-Origi---------Firmino-----Woodburn

Probably something like this.
----------------------Karius

Randall------Gomez----- Klavan--------Moreno
-----------------------Lucas
-------------Ejaria-----------Wijnaldum
Woodburn---------Origi------Firmino

What a horrible looking team.
Obviously Klopp knows something we don't. Some players are probably knackered.
Connor instead of TAA worries me. Not that TAA is immensely better but that Clynie might be injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom