• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Worst season ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
As I look around the European leagues, it seems this season is objectively the weakest and worst in terms of top-level quality that I can remember. There is not one team around the top 5 leagues that could come close to the best teams of the past:

Real Madrid don’t have a #9 of any real pedigree and rely of Bellingham’s brilliance for most of their goalscoring and on Ancelotti tactical brilliance for keeping them afloat with a talented, but unbalanced team.

Xavi’s experiment at Barca seems to be on the verge of failing. Their only world-class attacking talent is Pedri who is always injured and a 36-year-old Lewandowski; none of their prime age forwards would look out of place at a mid to lower table English team.

Atletico Madrid are still chugging along under Simeone, but they are certainly weaker compared to themselves at their peak a few years ago.

Inter looks like the only top class team in Italy right now. Napoli has dropped off badly after winning the scudetto and Milan is consistently inconsistent.

Bayern seem to be the most balanced team in the world in terms of squad age profile and talent, but they are rarely playing like one. It’s debatable whether the team took a step forward or backwards under Tuchel and overall something seems rotten in German football.

PSG are a joke of a club.

Man City are still the best club team in the world on paper, but look to be in a bit of disarray due to injuries and loss of key players and kind of lost their spark.

We’re in the rebuilding phase and the new players have not truly made their mark yet; to the extent that we’re consistent it's mostly thanks to the old guard of Salah, VVD and Alisson.

Arsenal seem to be getting closer to building a title-winning team, but still have a couple of key pieces missing and it remains to be seen if they possess a real winning mentality.

United and Chelsea are so badly run that they are not even in the conversation.

Looking at players across the clubs, there is barely anyone worthy of a world-class status. Mbappe and Haaland are superb, but still a step down from the Messi-Ronaldo duopoly; other than Bellingham are there any other stand-out talents in their prime? Where is the new Xavi, Iniesta and Modric, a new Gerrard and Lampard, Henry and Zidane and Pirlo and Ronaldinho, Cannavaro and Buffon? #10's have mostly died out as a class, but where are the clinical strikers: your Raul, Van Nistelrooy, Huntelaar and Owen types, even someone like Defoe? We might look at our current front 5 and justifiably say they are not “all that” compared to Mane, prime Salah and Firmino, but which other team can really boast a great front line? I love Saka, but he doesn’t score nearly as much as the best wing-forwards of the past; Rashford seemed destined for superstardom but it’s all going wrong; almost the entire generation of German attacking talents has failed. I can go on, but you get the picture.

It’s a bewildering situation. There is more money in football than ever before; there are more games and longer games and more competitions than ever and the football-related media is booming. And yet in terms of pure quality this is the lowest and poorest I can remember football in my lifetime.

Last edited:
Interesting. On the other hand...It's the most interesting Premier League in years though... I mean it's been a while since 3-4 teams had a genuine shout

Girona in Spain - that's an oil money thing right?

Leverkusen are upsetting everyone in Germany?

i kind of like the fact no-one is dominant.

I put it down to smaller teams getting better, and tactical NOUS spreading to Vous and Vous and Vous..

This is what’s so frustrating for me this season…the one season we haven’t qualified for the champions league (and don’t get me started on what a waste of a space Utd were)…and it’s objectively the most winnable year ever. Given our European pedigree I think we’d have had an outstanding chance of winning it this season.

It's almost as if football is dying a slow death, no one wants to partake in this shit corrupt sport anymore.

Money has taken over, no one wants to fulfill their true potential anymore.

Yadda yadda yadda what's the point.

Are you saying Michael Owen is right and footballers these days are not as good as those in days gone by?

But yeah, it's been trending in this direction for a couple years as the top teams look worse and worse coming to a head this season.

City can easily get back to where they need to be. Real are pretty close to a great team. Bayern, however, are a mystery.

Who would even make the world's best eleven at the moment? Haaland, Mbappe, Bellingham, Rodri, Alisson, after that I genuinely have no idea

Alisson Hakimi Saliba Van Dijk Alphonso Rodri Bellingham Salah Kane Mbappe Haaland

or

Alisson Hakimi Saliba Van Dijk Alphonso Rodri Bellingham Salah Mbappe Vinicius Jr Kane

or

Alisson Hakimi Saliba Maguire Alphonso Rodri Bellingham Salah Mbappe Vinicius Jr Kane

KDB is now apparently back in training so in a few months it'll be;

Alisson Hakimi Saliba Van Dijk Alphonso Rodri Bellingham KDB Mbappe Vinicius Jr Kane

Alisson Hakimi Saliba Van Dijk Alphonso Rodri Bellingham Salah Kane Mbappe Haaland

or

Alisson Hakimi Saliba Van Dijk Alphonso Rodri Bellingham Salah Mbappe Vinicius Jr Kane

or

Alisson Hakimi Saliba Maguire Alphonso Rodri Bellingham Salah Mbappe Vinicius Jr Kane

KDB is now apparently back in training so in a few months it'll be;

Alisson Hakimi Saliba Van Dijk Alphonso Rodri Bellingham KDB Mbappe Vinicius Jr Kane

I see that Maguire in there!!!!

As I look around the European leagues, it seems this season is objectively the weakest and worst in terms of top-level quality that I can remember. There is not one team around the top 5 leagues that could come close to the best teams of the past:

Real Madrid don’t have a #9 of any real pedigree and rely of Bellingham’s brilliance for most of their goalscoring and on Ancelotti tactical brilliance for keeping them afloat with a talented, but unbalanced team.

Xavi’s experiment at Barca seems to be on the verge of failing. Their only world-class attacking talent is Pedri who is always injured and a 36-year-old Lewandowski; none of their prime age forwards would look out of place at a mid to lower table English team.

Atletico Madrid are still chugging along under Simeone, but they are certainly weaker compared to themselves at their peak a few years ago.

Inter looks like the only top class team in Italy right now. Napoli has dropped off badly after winning the scudetto and Milan is consistently inconsistent.

Bayern seem to be the most balanced team in the world in terms of squad age profile and talent, but they are rarely playing like one. It’s debatable whether the team took a step forward or backwards under Tuchel and overall something seems rotten in German football.

PSG are a joke of a club.

Man City are still the best club team in the world on paper, but look to be in a bit of disarray due to injuries and loss of key players and kind of lost their spark.

We’re in the rebuilding phase and the new players have not truly made their mark yet; to the extent that we’re consistent it's mostly thanks to the old guard of Salah, VVD and Alisson.

Arsenal seem to be getting closer to building a title-winning team, but still have a couple of key pieces missing and it remains to be seen if they possess a real winning mentality.

United and Chelsea are so badly run that they are not even in the conversation.

Looking at players across the clubs, there is barely anyone worthy of a world-class status. Mbappe and Haaland are superb, but still a step down from the Messi-Ronaldo duopoly; other than Bellingham are there any other stand-out talents in their prime? Where is the new Xavi, Iniesta and Modric, a new Gerrard and Lampard, Henry and Zidane and Pirlo and Ronaldinho, Cannavaro and Buffon? #10's have mostly died out as a class, but where are the clinical strikers: your Raul, Van Nistelrooy, Huntelaar and Owen types, even someone like Defoe? We might look at our current front 5 and justifiably say they are not “all that” compared to Mane, prime Salah and Firmino, but which other team can really boast a great front line? I love Saka, but he doesn’t score nearly as much as the best wing-forwards of the past; Rashford seemed destined for superstardom but it’s all going wrong; almost the entire generation of German attacking talents has failed. I can go on, but you get the picture.

It’s a bewildering situation. There is more money in football than ever before; there are more games and longer games and more competitions than ever and the football-related media is booming. And yet in terms of pure quality this is the lowest and poorest I can remember football in my lifetime.

It's been building up to this, and coaches like our own have played a factor in it. The pressing, energetic and athletic players are qualities which are moree valued than actual creative skill. But if you have those qualities and a footballing brain to go with it, my God - you can be a world super-star. The world is actually full of poor players now, they have been trained to play to systems and really don't have much opportunity from an early age to express themselves or have time to develop any creative aspects to their game. It's the way it is now, look at the goals from our top sides this season - drying up, and there are no guaranteed goal-scoring number 9's around - you could argue that Kane is the last of them now.

I often look at the Brazil national side and see what they have on what seemed many years ago now an endless amount of creative talent - but even they are struggling - most of their players get sold to top European sides before they can even develop to anything that resembles the standards of some of the magic players they produced in the past, they don't even have a decent striker anymore, would not even be surprised if they missed the next world cup by failing to quality. It is also a damning fact that the best effective striker from South America in recent months might be Darwin Nunez !!!

It's been building up to this, and coaches like our own have played a factor in it. The pressing, energetic and athletic players are qualities which are moree valued than actual creative skill. But if you have those qualities and a footballing brain to go with it, my God - you can be a world super-star. The world is actually full of poor players now, they have been trained to play to systems and really don't have much opportunity from an early age to express themselves or have time to develop any creative aspects to their game. It's the way it is now, look at the goals from our top sides this season - drying up, and there are no guaranteed goal-scoring number 9's around - you could argue that Kane is the last of them now.

I often look at the Brazil national side and see what they have on what seemed many years ago now an endless amount of creative talent - but even they are struggling - most of their players get sold to top European sides before they can even develop to anything that resembles the standards of some of the magic players they produced in the past, they don't even have a decent striker anymore, would not even be surprised if they missed the next world cup by failing to quality. It is also a damning fact that the best effective striker from South America in recent months might be Darwin Nunez !!!

Lautaro Martinez is the most effective Latin American striker, to be fair.

Interesting. On the other hand...It's the most interesting Premier League in years though... I mean it's been a while since 3-4 teams had a genuine shout

Girona in Spain - that's an oil money thing right?

Leverkusen are upsetting everyone in Germany?

i kind of like the fact no-one is dominant.

I put it down to smaller teams getting better, and tactical NOUS spreading to Vous and Vous and Vous..
I thought Girona haven't actually spent any money despite their ownership?

Are you saying Michael Owen is right and footballers these days are not as good as those in days gone by?

But yeah, it's been trending in this direction for a couple years as the top teams look worse and worse coming to a head this season.

City can easily get back to where they need to be. Real are pretty close to a great team. Bayern, however, are a mystery.
And Klopp almost has us back.

Lautaro Martinez is the most effective Latin American striker, to be fair.

He's in great form this season but there's something that seems very suspect about him, bit like Icardi or Sanchez. Hopefully United, Chelsea or Arsenal spend big money on him because I think he'll easily flop, though I can see him ending up at PSG as Mbappe's replacement

Martinez is one of those players I've never seen play well. He looked absolutely awful for Argentina in the WC.

I'm sure he's great in Serie A (which I watch nothing of) but wouldn't want him at Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom