• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Your 21/22 season expectations

Prefix for Poll Threads

Expectations for this season

• Pace setters

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • Close challengers

Votes: 21 50.0%
  • 4th at best

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Totally off the pace (5th and below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brizzle

Deposed match thread starter
This is probably shit as a poll but looking to gauge expectations for this season. We have some headwinds & tailwinds, with rivals strengthening and others weakening.

Liverpool
  • Key players rested over the summer - Salah, Mane, Trent
  • Full squad quota coming into the season - especially at the back!
  • Arguable lack of depth up front with a key injury
  • AFCON disruption

Rivals
  • City losing Aguero and no replacements in yet. KDB continuing to injure his ankle at the Euros
  • United adding big names to the team, but will Lingards purple patch for West Ham give him more game time than perhaps he should deserve in that team.
  • Chelsea starting where they left off with a great system under Tuchel, could be dangerous from the off
  • Arsenal seemingly not investing wisely (if 32m for Ramsdale is to be believed... wtf!)

For me - I expect us to hit the ground running and be 'up there' within 3-5 points of 1st come January. I think it will be very close between all of Us, City, Chelsea & United and the difference will come with how squads are looking injury wise when CL, FA Cup etc ramp up and we get stretched. The quality of 'squad man' will be key.

Winning relentlessly and consistently against the bottom 12-14 teams is going to be where this season is won & lost. Ensuring we get good support & output from Jota, Origi, Elliot, Taki, Ox will be imperative here.

Will get CL qual.
If we sign a new mid and competition for Firmino, we can go all the way, fitness permitting.

Close challengers but like Tomas said a lot will depend on keeping players fit & healthy.

Finishing 3rd without our captain for the last 3-4 months and all 3 of our senior CB's has to count for something,

As far as our rivals go, Completely writing Spurs & Arsenal off....interested to see how Leicester and Chelsea do.

Looking at AFCON we potentially only miss 3 PL games from those who go. It is scheduled from 9th Jan - 6th Feb. In that time we play Brentford (H), Palace (A) and Leicester (H).

I think we'll finish around 2nd or 3rd, barring any monumental injury crisis. City weren't great last season despite all the bumming they got, and we would've ran them a lot closer had we not had the injury crisis we did.

However, if City sign Kane, and Chelsea sign Haaland, we have no chance of challenging. We don't look likely to sign anyone of any real quality to improve the squad or replace Wijnaldum.

League and European cup double. We will pull away in the league early doors and that’ll be it.
We need to be lucky with injuries; Mané and Salah need to stay fit and if (hugely unlikely I know) Matip and VVD stay fit all season then we will win the League/CL double.

I'll be happy to be level with City and Chelsea to be honest. That would be a big achievement given their spending power and managers.

CL semis or better would always be welcome.

We can't finish below United again, so that's my minimum requirement this year.

We would have probably been title challengers last season had our CBs remained fit, after all we were top in December. After Matip went off injured our whole season disintegrated where at one point we were 10 points a drift of Man United. I am so sure the owners did not want us to win the league last season as the pay-outs would have been huge.

I would expect us to challenge for the title, but I don't expect us to win it. You never know though, We had an awful lot of bad luck last season, maybe we are due a bit of good luck and some other teams are due a bit of bad luck!

At it stands we are right up there with City, Chelsea & United (yep they have a good team and likely it'll be even better in a month, at the very least the squad will be, once the transfer window closes) and surely we won't have another injury crisis like last season.

The issue is squad depth. Another high quality forward, midfielder and RB and we'll be challenging on all fronts. Without them: 3rd or 4th.

At it stands we are right up there with City, Chelsea & United (yep they have a good team and likely it'll be even better in a month, at the very least the squad will be, once the transfer window closes) and surely we won't have another injury crisis like last season.

The issue is squad depth. Another high quality forward, midfielder and RB and we'll be challenging on all fronts. Without them: 3rd or 4th.
Totally agree.
I've given up hope on a new striker. It's pretty evident that Ox is going to be our main back up striker this season and Bobby is obviously first choice.

We need to be lucky with injuries; Mané and Salah need to stay fit and if (hugely unlikely I know) Matip and VVD stay fit all season then we will win the League/CL double.
Matip won’t be first choice centre back after Christmas.

We're due a good run in a domestic cup too. With such a good quota of CBs I think that potential is greater than previous seasons now.

I am going into the season thinking we can with the PL.

Elliott will be a key part of the squad. He will offer more than the combination of Keita, Oxlade Chamberlain, Origi and Shaqiri.

Utd will not challenge for the league.

We’ll be right up there injuries permitting.

Elliott will be a key part of the squad. He will offer more than the combination of Keita, Oxlade Chamberlain, Origi and Shaqiri.

I think at this point probably just about any youth player could do that.

I want you to say he'll offer more than Firmino or Mane, can you do that for me Momo?

I think at this point probably just about any youth player could do that.

I want you to say he'll offer more than Firmino or Mane, can you do that for me Momo?
He will do more than Firmino because he’s shite.

Top 4 and CL quarters is minimum in terms of realistic expectations.

I'd like to think that everyone is going to be super fit and in peak form all season but I think we're a little past that and we're going to be skating on thin ice like we were last season to an extent.

We have question marks and gaps in the first team / squad in every area on the pitch so will need a huge amount of luck.

I haven't seen enough of Konate to judge him but a fully fit Matip is better than a fully fit Gomez. If Konate can get in ahead of Matip then he must be some player.

Without further reinforcements I'm expecting (or certainly hoping for at least) top 4.

Hopefully Mane can rekindle his pre-Covid form and Salah stays fit and continues banging them in at the same rate. I fear what happens if we pick up a load of injuries again though, especially in midfield.

With the right additions, I'd hope that we could be up there challenging, but right now I just don't see us having the depth to keep the pace over a whole season

Going by the squads as they stand today we should be challenging. That said it's almost impossible to see Chelsea and City not adding to their options between now and 31st August. Chelsea finished last season as an emerging force and I think there is more to come from their squad once Tuchel has time to work with the players.

I think AFCON is going to fuck us over, the lack of depth in our squad will be exposed and we will probably be 3rd or 4th by the end of the season.

Genuinely believe this is the season Matip Naby and Gomez all stay fit the whole season.

Really believe that City offering like 5 players to bring in Kane will massively affect their morale and they will finish third. Our main rival for the title will be Chelsea under Tuchel, so let's hope they waver in confidence on a short bad run and Abramovich gets trigger happy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom