• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Youth Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhyAlwaysMe?

Active
An extract from the latest Tomkins article.. the whole thing is available from the link provided but I feel this is the most interesting bit:

The good news is that the youth team is more exciting than it’s ever been. I’d urge anyone who thinks Benítez left a poor legacy to study the talent now at the Academy; if the first team started to flounder, the youth set-up was definitely on the right tracks after his 2009 overhaul. Rafa gets criticised for not bringing through enough local talent, but he could only pick from what he was given; and for the most part, that wasn’t a lot. His key decision was to install the two Barcelona gurus, Borrell and Segura, who can develop a strong footballing ethos at grass roots level; taking the best of the Catalan approach and blending it with the Liverpool way.

Last season Liverpool paid a sizable fee for 15-year-old QPR prodigy Raheem Sterling, a small, highly skilful and ultra-fast winger. But the coup de grâce was Benítez personally persuading the Spanish wunderkind Suso to opt for Liverpool ahead of Real Madrid and Barcelona; at just 16, he was already head and shoulders above those in his age group, and now, aged 17, he looks capable of being fast-tracked to the first team. (Click on the link to see him, and the rest of the U18s, against Crystal Palace last weekend.)

Another English signing, Michael Ngoo, 18, has the proverbial great feet for a big man, as does Kristjan Gauti Emilsson. Portuguese winger Toni Silva (17) also seems to have a bright future, as does Hungarian striker, Krisztian Adorjan (17).

And at last there’s a collection of local boys – Conor Coady (17), Jack Robinson (17), John Flanagan (18) – who might just have what it takes. As ever, not all of these boys will make the grade; after all, there’s just not space in the team, even if all developed at their current rate. But as well as playing exceptionally as a team, the U18 side also has those standout individuals that are even more crucial. The Reds remain strong at reserve team level, too, where some of these kids are already flourishing. (Edit: this is without even mentioning Daniel Ayala, Danny Pacheco, Jonjo Shelvey and Martin Kelly, all 20 or under, who haven’t looked out of place when given first team chances.)

With Gillett and Hicks having done their best to run the club into the ground, it might take a year or two simply to get back to where we were a couple of years back, and longer still to exceed those levels (if possible).

But with intelligent owners who aren’t afraid to make big signings, a knowledgeable Director of Football, the spectre of Hodgson behind us, and some potential stars of tomorrow already on the books, the club is anything but rotten to the core. The first team may have fallen short of expected standards in the past 18 months, and dramatically so this season, but the club seems well placed to begin – slowly but surely – clawing its way back towards the top.

http://tomkinstimes.com/2011/01/the-future’s-bright-the-future’s-red/

Indeed. As with GH, I'm convinced that over time Rafa's account with LFC will be seen to be well in credit overall.

Squiggs was being sarcastic; but his legacy will be soon seen in the youth players hopefully.

That was actually something I said months ago before I became known as a Rafa-hater.

It's the first team that people are upset about though.

[quote author=Avvy link=topic=43622.msg1252589#msg1252589 date=1295015790]
Squiggs was being sarcastic; but his legacy will be soon seen in the youth players hopefully.

That was actually something I said months ago before I became known as a Rafa-hater.

It's the first team that people are upset about though.
[/quote]

About Tomkins rather than Rafa, surely? If so, I can understand that, but IMO the content of Tomkins' (interminable) articles is often better than the style, and this is a prime example.

Liverpools youth policy?

Buy a bunch of promising u18 players and never use them.

Legacy is too huge a word. Firstly, we've still gotta wait and see how many actually makes it through to the 1st team eventually. Besides, the likes of Coady, Robinson and Flanagan were already with us at younger levels, no? While it's obviously great to bring in talented younsters like Suso and Sterling, the bigger picture/factor of a successful youth system, imo, should be us producing such players, not solely depending on external signings. I can see where he's coming from, but that's really optimistic (we do need this at the current moment though). Oh, and for the tonnes of youth players signed - the Brouwers, Weijis and Floras, we're long overdue a youth graduate. And binning Anderson, Hammill, Hobbs in apparent favour for the foreign ones? Legacy? Not. :-[

[quote author=Binny link=topic=43622.msg1252606#msg1252606 date=1295017381]
Legacy is too huge a word. Firstly, we've still gotta wait and see how many actually makes it through to the 1st team eventually. Besides, the likes of Coady, Robinson and Flanagan were already with us at younger levels, no? While it's obviously great to bring in talented younsters like Suso and Sterling, the bigger picture/factor of a successful youth system, imo, should be us producing such players, not solely depending on external signings. I can see where he's coming from, but that's really optimistic (we do need this at the current moment though). Oh, and for the tonnes of youth players signed - the Brouwers, Weijis and Floras, we're long overdue a youth graduate. And binning Anderson, Hammill, Hobbs in apparent favour for the foreign ones? Legacy? Not. :-[
[/quote]

You're right.
It's a travesty that we let players like Guthrie and Hammill go. They'd be better squad options than Spearing and Jovanovic today.

I don't see the point of having an academy and never giving the guys a chance.
I remember being extremely proud seeing a team made up mostly reserves beat Tottenham in the League cup away the season we won the CL.

Tomkins just thinks the sun shines out of Rafa's arse, and it makes me cringe.

Our youth policy was a running joke during his six years here, and he easily sweeps that aside like it's a non-issue.

[quote author=Modo link=topic=43622.msg1252615#msg1252615 date=1295017909]
I remember being extremely proud seeing a team made up mostly reserves beat Tottenham in the League cup away the season we won the CL.[/quote]

Indeed. Welsh, Raven, Potter, Partridge, Whitbread etc. Can the current crop of Academy lads be any/much worse than these batch? Shame only Kelly and Spearing represent such a minority.

[quote author=Binny link=topic=43622.msg1252624#msg1252624 date=1295018356]
I remember being extremely proud seeing a team made up mostly reserves beat Tottenham in the League cup away the season we won the CL.[/quote]

Indeed. Welsh, Raven, Potter, Partridge, Whitbread etc. Can the current crop of Academy lads be any/much worse than these batch? Shame only Kelly and Spearing represent such a minority.
[/quote]

I'd love to see this side someday:

Jones

Irwin Kelly Wilson Robinson

Pálsson Shelvey

Suso Pacheco Ince

Ngog

Bet they'd beat Northampton.

[quote author=JimmyK link=topic=43622.msg1252577#msg1252577 date=1295014463]
With Gillett and Hicks having done their best to run the club into the ground, it might take a year or two simply to get back to where we were a couple of years back, and longer still to exceed those levels (if possible).
[/quote]

If possible?

I think a title win would make it possible.

[quote author=Modo link=topic=43622.msg1252637#msg1252637 date=1295018899]

[/quote]

Jones

Pálsson Shelvey

Suso Pacheco Ince

Ngog

[/quote]

I can see what point you are making but I would never wish for a Liverpool side that includes Jones and Ngog

If we are talking about sides we'd love to see I'd rather go the whole hog and hope for a decent keeper and striker too

All we're being linked with is 12 year olds again in this transfer window, makes me so mad. We need some ready made players ready to come in.

I'm sick of signing these brats that never play.

[quote author=LadyRed link=topic=43622.msg1252674#msg1252674 date=1295020722]
All we're being linked with is 12 year olds again in this transfer window, makes me so mad. We need some ready made players ready to come in.

[/quote]

You know in a few years suso will be your new love

[quote author=Richey link=topic=43622.msg1252665#msg1252665 date=1295020415]
[quote author=Modo link=topic=43622.msg1252637#msg1252637 date=1295018899]

[/quote]

Jones

Pálsson Shelvey

Suso Pacheco Ince

Ngog

[/quote]

I can see what point you are making but I would never wish for a Liverpool side that includes Jones and Ngog

If we are talking about sides we'd love to see I'd rather go the whole hog and hope for a decent keeper and striker too
[/quote]

I didn't mean the in the distant future, I mean like next season or the final game of this season if we've secured a decent spot in the table.

[quote author=Fabio link=topic=43622.msg1252689#msg1252689 date=1295021444]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Meh, he'll never be Xabi...or Stevie....or Sergio...I'll stop now.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=43622.msg1252707#msg1252707 date=1295021905]
Why would you love to see Brad Jones playing?
[/quote]

I'd imagine him playing if it's a League cup tie. Only reason.
I'm looking at the big picture. Fielding a young promising team to see who stands out.

[quote author=LadyRed link=topic=43622.msg1252705#msg1252705 date=1295021884]
[quote author=Fabio link=topic=43622.msg1252689#msg1252689 date=1295021444]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Meh, he'll never be Xabi...or Stevie....or Sergio...I'll stop now.
[/quote]

Poor the suso

suso-2.jpg

Neets loves her little ratface

*ponders phrasing*

Hmmm.

Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom