• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

agger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rafa cant win can he?

We have people asking why Rafa rotates so much when he does so and why aren't some players aren't getting enough time when Rafa doesnt rotate as much.

Whilst I think Agger is a good player, I really don't see any reason why either Carragher or Skrtel should be dropped at this point in time.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=27188.msg684648#msg684648 date=1222507630]
[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=27188.msg684604#msg684604 date=1222500387]
So his long range passing isnt Gerrard-esque. So?
Thats like saying Torres is shit in the tackle.
Youre a right scabby little wanker you.
[/quote]

It may not be Gerrardesque, but it's still pretty good.
[/quote]

That's what I was about to say.

As for Agger - I do think we should give him the odd game. Skrtel and Carra are clearly first choice, but freezing him out of the first team completely is going to do no-one any favours. He's hardly going to let us down if he gets a game.

[quote author=Pandabear link=topic=27188.msg684500#msg684500 date=1222466099]
hyypia is the most overrated player in 6cm..
[/quote]

That kind of idiocy should invoke a straight ban.

On a sidenote, I thought Skrtel was excellent in the air against the blueshite. A really encouraging sign. It's an area where he clearly has the upper hand over Agger.

this is getting silly agger needs to play soon. maybe carragher can be rested against psv, he's not getting any younger so we need prolong his career as much as possible now. then if agger has another mom it will be up to skrtel to become even more of a monster.

at the moment we are just wasting away one of the best centre backs in the world. its not as if we have 10/15mil lying around to go buy another one...

[quote author=monsieurdantes link=topic=27188.msg686584#msg686584 date=1222678636]
this is getting silly agger needs to play soon. maybe carragher can be rested against psv, he's not getting any younger so we need prolong his career as much as possible now. then if agger has another mom it will be up to skrtel to become even more of a monster.

at the moment we are just wasting away one of the best centre backs in the world. its not as if we have 10/15mil lying around to go buy another one...
[/quote]

Such are the pitfalls of having an excess of quality centre backs. What a bitch, eh?

[quote author=Delinquent link=topic=27188.msg686578#msg686578 date=1222678179]
[quote author=Pandabear link=topic=27188.msg684500#msg684500 date=1222466099]
hyypia is the most overrated player in 6cm..
[/quote]

That kind of idiocy should invoke a straight ban.
[/quote]

Heresy of the worst kind.
There are not many Liverpool players that become legends whilst still on the playing staff, Hyppia is one.
Ardja has a point in his passing, it is not the best. Kenny Dalglish was the best Liverpool player I have ever seen, but he was not quick.
It is not individual aspects that make up a great player, but the sum of the parts

As regards Agger, we need to get him signed up on a contract, then we can fuck him about a bit.

regards

In principle I agree, but how to go about doing so?  Rafa gave Agger a chance against Liege.  He blew the chance (we looked a lot better at the back when Skrtel took over for the second leg), then had the brass neck to complain when Rafa took him to task about it.  Now he throws a hissy snit about not getting a game.  Are we to reward him for it?  

No way, Jose.  I want players who aren't in the side to be unhappy about that but I do not want them coming it with the prima donna bit, and I especially do not want Rafa to cave in to them if they do.  Agger should have to fight for his place like anybody else.  I'm not as convinced as some that the football world would beat a path to our door to sign him either, not after the Liege game and his behaviour since.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=27188.msg686595#msg686595 date=1222679280]
In principle I agree, but how to go about doing so? Rafa gave Agger a chance against Liege. He blew the chance (we looked a lot better at the back when Skrtel took over for the second leg), then had the brass neck to complain when Rafa took him to task about it. Now he throws a hissy snit about not getting a game. Are we to reward him for it?

No way, Jose. I want players who aren't in the side to be unhappy about that but I do not want them coming it with the prima donna bit, and I especially do not want Rafa to cave in to them if they do. Agger should have to fight for his place like anybody else. I'm not as convinced as some that the football world would beat a path to our door to sign him either, not after the Liege game and his behaviour since.
[/quote]

What behaviour?

Him beeing unhappy with beeing benched like any real footballer should be?

He hasn't aired any negativity towards Rafa or anyone else in the Media all he has been quoted saying is, that he just needs to fight harder to get in the team? What more do you expect?

The latest story about him not wanting to sign comes from the NOTfuckingW - not really reliable is it? Anyways who could blame him even of true? He isn't playing and anyone in his stead would stand-by.

[quote author=Doped White Mouse link=topic=27188.msg686562#msg686562 date=1222676148]
[quote author=the_khl link=topic=27188.msg686539#msg686539 date=1222673364]
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=27188.msg686367#msg686367 date=1222645478]
Another clean sheet at the weekend.

Daniel Agger can shut the fuck up and stay sitting.
[/quote]

He certainly should play come Champions League midweek don't you agree? Or would you keep him out untill Skrtl looses us a game?

The Carra / Skrtl partnership hasn't leaked many goals so far but they are not the perfect centerback pairing as they are far to alike in my opinion. None of them have the composure nor skill to turn defence into attack - at least they are not in the same league as Agger who's on his day is one of the most skillful CB's in the world. We will often need our defenders talent on the break as well or as adding up the numbers when playing tight oppositions, and as a result we need an in-form Agger to play.

If he doesn't play at home in the Champions League come Wednesday - especially after his MOTM performance midweek in the Carling Cup - no wonder if he's severely dissapointed. He should be.
[/quote]

You're so biased it's unreal.

I think we can agree that the first and foremost job of a defender is to prevent the team from conceding goals. We conceded 2 goals so far in the PL. Yes, 2. The smallest number of conceded goals in the PL so far. For how many of them were Carra or Skrtel at fault? They're forming one of the finest and most successful CB pairings in the PL at the moment.

And still you're banging on about how your Danish chappy should play because of "his composure to turn defence into attack", MOM performances in the Carling Cup and so on. Any reason is fine enough it seems.

There have been numerous discussions concerning Rafa's rotation policy. And time and time again most of the posters agreed that we should play our strongest first XI week in and week out unless there are injuries or serious dips in form. None of that is the case at the moment. So why should we bench Carra or Skrtel just to play Agger?

It's not that I don't like Danny Agger - I think he's a good player and I'm happy that he's with us. But he can bang in free kicks or whatever in the Carling Cup or the ressies for all I care - as long as Carra and Skrtel provide this kind of form they're in Agger should wait for his turn.

Would you also fight let's say Lucas' corner if he did a MOM performance in the Carling Cup and scored a hattrick and back him to replace Stevie?

[/quote]

Uh oh, you've thrown the almighty biased-card :)

Cleansheets against Sunderland, Stoke and the most toothless Everton-team I've seen in a while doesn't make everything dandy you know.

Against Marseille we were extremely fortunate not to concede more, United scored on one of two chances. Boro the same.

Against Stoke, who attacked with one man og the counter, we should've seen more of Skrtl IMO if he really is t be Carra's long term partner.

Listen, I'm not having a go at Skrtl, he is doing a great job and as such shouldn't be benched though I reckon Agger to be a better fit for Carra - all I'm saying is, with so many games beeing played Rafa would be a moron (not the poster) not to give Agger playingtime come midweek. It's quite simple really.

Oh and your comparison with Lucas is so incredibly daft as it's not like he's aldready been a key-figure in our side at any point is it?

If you really have to make an analogy:

Babel scores a brace when played as a striker as Torres is out injured - should he then hold his place when El Nino was back fit?

That analogy doesn't really work either as there is a clear gulf in class between Babel and Torres.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=27188.msg686615#msg686615 date=1222680786]
That analogy doesn't really work either as there is a clear gulf in class between Babel and Torres.
[/quote]
Only seconds after posting I thought the same. Dammit.

Well, at least one bad analogy evens out another, as the old saying goes...

In principle I agree, but how to go about doing so? Rafa gave Agger a chance against Liege. He blew the chance ([/quote]

While we're at it - name we one player who didn't 'blew their chance in that particular game'.

How many did we concede btw now that Agger was THAT bad? :-X

[quote author=the_khl link=topic=27188.msg686617#msg686617 date=1222681019]
[/quote]

[/quote]

What was that saying again? :p

[quote author=the_khl link=topic=27188.msg686619#msg686619 date=1222681169]
In principle I agree, but how to go about doing so? Rafa gave Agger a chance against Liege. He blew the chance ([/quote]

While we're at it - name we one player who didn't 'blew their chance in that particular game'.

[/quote]

For one thing, the thread's specifically about Agger. For another, one player who didn't blow it in that game is Pepe Reina, and you know perfectly well (or would if your specs didn't have red lenses with a white cross in the middle) that he's the reason why we didn't concede a goal. Agger was bullied by Di Camargo, whereas when we played them at Anfield it was Skrtel who did the bullying.

[quote author=Delinquent link=topic=27188.msg686622#msg686622 date=1222681359]
[quote author=the_khl link=topic=27188.msg686617#msg686617 date=1222681019]
[/quote]

[/quote]

What was that saying again? :p
[/quote]

*I felt the need for a good ol' saying to back me up here... so I made one up....

:-[

I'm sure Rafa will get Agger's contract sorted.

Then ship him off elsewhere like Sissoko if there's still no improvement.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=27188.msg686625#msg686625 date=1222681651]
[quote author=the_khl link=topic=27188.msg686619#msg686619 date=1222681169]

[/quote]

For one thing, the thread's specifically about Agger. For another, one player who didn't blow it in that game is Pepe Reina, and you know perfectly well (or would if your specs didn't have red lenses with a white cross in the middle) that he's the reason why we didn't concede a goal. Agger was bullied by Di Camargo, whereas when we played them at Anfield it was Skrtel who did the bullying.
[/quote]

I know Agger was poor in that game but who wasn't - appart from Reina? You'll have to take that into consideration before crucifying one player solely don't you?

And we do actually agree - Skrtl is no doubt a better 'bullier' than Agger and as such a very good asset (and as he is no bad footballer either he's even better than that).

He's just not as cultured and illustrious as Agger mind why I reckon we'll be even better off as a team with him playing alongside either Carra or Skrtl (and as Carra is almost undroppable Skrtls got to make way).

Aggers should be in our starting XI more or less every time IMO, alongside Reina, Carra, Masher, Gerrard and Torres.

[quote author=reuque link=topic=27188.msg686632#msg686632 date=1222682105]

[/quote]

Its just a shame for Agger that our current pairing is playing so well, similiar to Lescott being forced to left back at Everton last season, you cant break up a pairing who are not letting in goals we have conceded 2.

[quote author=Peatcheo link=topic=27188.msg686637#msg686637 date=1222682276]

[/quote]

Its just a shame for Agger that our current pairing is playing so well, similiar to Lescott being forced to left back at Everton last season, you cant break up a pairing who are not letting in goals we have conceded 2.
[/quote]

I tend to agree with your overall assumption, but as we're participating in several tournaments I don't think it would be insane to play Agger in Champions League at home come midweek. Rather the contrary, as we all know we should concentrate first and foremost on the league so why not play some of the Reserves in Europe. ::)

Play Skrtl in the Prem next week against City then.

[quote author=the_khl link=topic=27188.msg686640#msg686640 date=1222682484]
[quote author=Peatcheo link=topic=27188.msg686637#msg686637 date=1222682276]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I tend to agree with your overall assumption, but as we're participating in several tournaments I don't think it would be insane to play Agger in Champions League at home come midweek. Rather the contrary, as we all know we should concentrate first and foremost on the league so why not play some of the Reserves in Europe. ::)

Play Skrtl in the Prem next week against City then.
[/quote]

Agreed. PSV let in a few against Atleti and I think they are not the team they used to be. Agger and Babel (as striker) would be interesting.

And I'd like to expect us to score 3 goals or more.

It's great that we have 4 quality central defenders. Unfortunately only two can play and Skirtel has been immense for us alongside Carra. I think Carra deserves a rest so I'd rest him in the Champions League match and have him fresh for the league. It really is up to Agger to take his chance when he gets it. He had first dibs and blew it.

[quote author=the_khl link=topic=27188.msg686613#msg686613 date=1222680569]
[quote author=Doped White Mouse link=topic=27188.msg686562#msg686562 date=1222676148]

[/quote]

He certainly should play come Champions League midweek don't you agree? Or would you keep him out untill Skrtl looses us a game?

The Carra / Skrtl partnership hasn't leaked many goals so far but they are not the perfect centerback pairing as they are far to alike in my opinion. None of them have the composure nor skill to turn defence into attack - at least they are not in the same league as Agger who's on his day is one of the most skillful CB's in the world. We will often need our defenders talent on the break as well or as adding up the numbers when playing tight oppositions, and as a result we need an in-form Agger to play.

If he doesn't play at home in the Champions League come Wednesday - especially after his MOTM performance midweek in the Carling Cup - no wonder if he's severely dissapointed. He should be.
[/quote]

I think we can agree that the first and foremost job of a defender is to prevent the team from conceding goals. We conceded 2 goals so far in the PL. Yes, 2. The smallest number of conceded goals in the PL so far. For how many of them were Carra or Skrtel at fault? They're forming one of the finest and most successful CB pairings in the PL at the moment.

And still you're banging on about how your Danish chappy should play because of "his composure to turn defence into attack", MOM performances in the Carling Cup and so on. Any reason is fine enough it seems.

There have been numerous discussions concerning Rafa's rotation policy. And time and time again most of the posters agreed that we should play our strongest first XI week in and week out unless there are injuries or serious dips in form. None of that is the case at the moment. So why should we bench Carra or Skrtel just to play Agger?

It's not that I don't like Danny Agger - I think he's a good player and I'm happy that he's with us. But he can bang in free kicks or whatever in the Carling Cup or the ressies for all I care - as long as Carra and Skrtel provide this kind of form they're in Agger should wait for his turn.

Would you also fight let's say Lucas' corner if he did a MOM performance in the Carling Cup and scored a hattrick and back him to replace Stevie?

[/quote]

Cleansheets against Sunderland, Stoke and the most toothless Everton-team I've seen in a while doesn't make everything dandy you know.

Against Marseille we were extremely fortunate not to concede more, United scored on one of two chances. Boro the same.

Against Stoke, who attacked with one man og the counter, we should've seen more of Skrtl IMO if he really is t be Carra's long term partner.

Listen, I'm not having a go at Skrtl, he is doing a great job and as such shouldn't be benched though I reckon Agger to be a better fit for Carra - all I'm saying is, with so many games beeing played Rafa would be a moron (not the poster) not to give Agger playingtime come midweek. It's quite simple really.

Oh and your comparison with Lucas is so incredibly daft as it's not like he's aldready been a key-figure in our side at any point is it?

Babel scores a brace when played as a striker as Torres is out injured - should he then hold his place when El Nino was back fit?
[/quote]

I see. Just because the teams we played against were not the creme de la creme of the PL means that clean sheets against them don't count as much as against Chelsea or the likes.

But still we kept them. And we kept them because of rock solid performances at the back.

Regarding your point vs. United:

When was the last time that United only created two chances against us? And who was to blame for the goal they scored? Hardly any of the CBs.

What should Skrtel have done against Stoke (apart from helping to keep a clean sheet)? Score from a free kick like Agger would have done or what?

I know that you don't have a go at Skrtel. You're just biased when it comes to anything to do with Agger (or any other Danish player). That's what I tried to point out with comparison, daft or not.

Listen, when Danny Agger forces his way into the first XI again I'll be one of the first to applaud him. I really appreciate him as a player. I just don't feel the need to rotate players out of the first team in favour of a player who was injured for a long time and didn't play too well when he's got the chance this season (apart from a disputable *MOM* performance in the Carling Cup).

[quote author=Doped White Mouse link=topic=27188.msg686797#msg686797 date=1222692786]
[quote author=the_khl link=topic=27188.msg686613#msg686613 date=1222680569]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I see. Just because the teams we played against were not the creme de la creme of the PL means that clean sheets against them don't count as much as against Chelsea or the likes.

But still we kept them. And we kept them because of rock solid performances at the back.

Regarding your point vs. United:

When was the last time that United only created two chances against us? And who was to blame for the goal they scored? Hardly any of the CBs.

What should Skrtel have done against Stoke (apart from helping to keep a clean sheet)? Score from a free kick like Agger would have done or what?

I know that you don't have a go at Skrtel. You're just biased when it comes to anything to do with Agger (or any other Danish player). That's what I tried to point out with comparison, daft or not.

Listen, when Danny Agger forces his way into the first XI again I'll be one of the first to applaud him. I really appreciate him as a player. I just don't feel the need to rotate players out of the first team in favour of a player who was injured for a long time and didn't play too well when he's got the chance this season (apart from a disputable *MOM* performance in the Carling Cup).
[/quote]

Biased towards Danish players I am - if they are any good.

I've heaped praised on Agger, Saric and Zanka in the past. And Bendtner.

Agger and Saric are now Liverpool-players and the latter has been linked this Summer. Bendtner has got world class potential which I reckon even the most stubborn poster on here will soon agree. So what's the problem again?

Agger was poob against Liege but yet WE DIDN'T CONCEDE. By your standard of argument that's all that counts which then of course doesn't make any sense at all as he was dropped the following game.

Skrtl certainly wasn't particularly good against Marseille and we even conceded.

I don't think he had the best of games really against Everton either. And against Stoke we could've REALLY used Agger's drive and forward runs - aynone who claims otherwise is a doped white mouse.

*sighs*

Where did I say that not conceding is the only thing that counts?

Ok. I stand by my point that Skrtel is head and shoulders above Danny Agger at the moment and therefore deserves his spot in the first XI. I don't see any reason to drop him now. You seem to do so. Fair enough. I only wonder if you would see the same reasons if the player was German or Greek or whatever. I doubt it.

[quote author=Doped White Mouse link=topic=27188.msg686836#msg686836 date=1222694214]
*sighs*

Ok. I stand by my point that Skrtel is head and shoulders above Danny Agger at the moment and therefore deserves his spot in the first XI. I don't see any reason to drop him now. You seem to do so. Fair enough. I only wonder if you would see the same reasons if the player was German or Greek or whatever. I doubt it.

[/quote]

Agger's played more than 30 games for Liverpool so I don't think it's relevant whether he's Danish, Israeli or Brasilian. I think his talent and class merits a starting-place based on his performances. Period.

One bad game in Belgium before the Premier League had even begun doesn't change that.

The only way as to explain why you reckon Skrtl to be 'head and shoulders' ahead of Agger, must be because of the rumoured spat behind curtains? Otherwise it's just baffling.

Anyways, agree to disagree.

*I'll keep my fingers crossed that Rafa doesn't bench Agger against PSV.

Theres no way we should drop Skrtel on current form. He does the ugly things far better than Agger. I love his aggression and the fact we now have some players who love a good scrap like Martin and Javier.

[quote author=the_khl link=topic=27188.msg686848#msg686848 date=1222694744]
[quote author=Doped White Mouse link=topic=27188.msg686836#msg686836 date=1222694214]
*sighs*

[/quote]

Agger's played more than 30 games for Liverpool so I don't think it's relevant whether he's Danish, Israeli or Brasilian. I think his talent and class merits a starting-place based on his performances. Period.

One bad game in Belgium before the Premier League had even begun doesn't change that.

The only way as to explain why you reckon Skrtl to be 'head and shoulders' ahead of Agger, must be because of the rumoured spat behind curtains? Otherwise it's just baffling.

Anyways, agree to disagree.

*I'll keep my fingers crossed that Rafa doesn't bench Agger against PSV.
[/quote]

True. He should be (at least) playing...but he isn´t. Something must have happened.

[quote author=Whitey85 link=topic=27188.msg686920#msg686920 date=1222699141]
Theres no way we should drop Skrtel on current form. He does the ugly things far better than Agger. I love his aggression and the fact we now have some players who love a good scrap like Martin and Javier.
[/quote]

Thats a good point that doesn't get mentioned much. We used to be soft as sh*t going back to the 1st two seasons under Rafa, i don't think the same could be said now.

I hope Agger signs a new contract soon, hes to good a player to let leave.

We were aggressive as fuck in Rafa's second season. We used to run around, closing down space and harrying the opposition like Robbie Savage on speed... or perhaps that was just Momo Sissoko.

Either way... we were brutal that season... just lacked any real sort of cutting edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom