• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Betting Aintree

Prefix for Betting Threads

SummerOnions

Let's Push Things Forward
Administrator
Anyone got any bets on then?

I've gone for a very hopeful accumulator today:

1 Aintree 12th Apr - 15:05 Backing: Burton Port @ SP
2 Aintree 12th Apr - 15:40 Backing: Boxer Georg @ SP
3 Aintree 12th Apr - 16:15 Backing: Edgardo Sol @ SP
4 Aintree 12th Apr - 16:50 Backing: Al Ferof @ SP
5 Aintree 12th Apr - 17:25 Backing: Spirit River @ SP

Missed all todays racing.

Did a few doubles and trebles for tomorrow.

Albertas Run, Little Josh and another who's name has escaped me.

Any tips for tomorrow lads?

How is the weather looking up there?

West End Rocker has looked likely for a while now but sadly I think the odds have come right down on him this week as a result.

If it rains very very heavily then stick a few quid on Giles Cross.

A few others that I have read about, with slightly higher odds at the moment, are Always Right, Seabass and Calgary Bay.

No doubt I will totally change my mind by this time tomorrow though.

I've taken 125/1 on Midnight Haze. Trained by Kim Bailey and laid out for this with a win and a nice prep run at Cheltenham over the Cross Country fences. Huge price.

I'll also back OrganisedChaos as back-up (25/1). won the Irish National last year as a 6year old. That's top form and proven his stamina.

I had decided I'd be backing According to Pete.

Then the stats analysis came out, the four favoured by the stats are Ballabrigs, According to Pete, Rare Bob and Sunnyhillboy. The second two are slightly more strongly favoured by the stats.

I'm always slightly put off by horses with human names. I know it is not statistically sound - same as my aversion to greys - but they tend to end up with shorter odds than they should have because people who share the name put money on them just for that reason.

Having said that, I have read a few good reports on Rare Bob today

Won £100 on Edgardo sol yesterday, decided to do a super heinz on all ruby Walsh horses today

I'm always slightly put off by horses with human names. I know it is not statistically sound - same as my aversion to greys - but they tend to end up with shorter odds than they should have because people who share the name put money on them just for that reason.

Having said that, I have read a few good reports on Rare Bob today

Rare Bob is 40/1!

But yeah I get what your saying, the best example of something similar is the Ruby effect in Ireland. Absolute donkeys he rides can often go off at very low prices.

Rare Bob is 40/1!

But yeah I get what your saying, the best example of something similar is the Ruby effect in Ireland. Absolute donkeys he rides can often go off at very low prices.

He's 40/1 now, but I suspect most people who will put money on for those kind of reasons will do so tomorrow.

As I said, I agree that it actually sounds like Rare Bob has a decent chance of being placed when you look at the stats though, so he is still on my shortlist, but its generally something I avoid doing.

i know nothing of gambling or betting, but i'm taking all your advice.

Except i've gone chicago grey to win.

meh. i only plumped up a fiver, im not a maverick/brave. We'll see what happens tomorrow

Damn it, didn't even finish 4th!

Had hoped FR wouldn't do well anfter running into a fucking fence but there you go.

heh, glad i'm not betting big!

That said, £20 on it's a gimme for the 4.50 in my last bet (probably)

Here are a few grand national stats for you

GRAND NATIONAL 2012

7 year olds haven't won since 1940
8 year olds only 1 win in last 18 years
13+ year olds only 2 wins in entire history and none have placed since 1969

The stats don't lend credit to 6, 7, 8 & 13+ year olds so we can eliminate these.

HORSES ELIMINATED:- ALFA BEAT, BLACK APALACHI, TATENEN, SHAKALAKABOOMBOOM, ON HIS OWN, ORGANISEDCONFUSION, QUISCOVER FONTAINE, THARAWAAT, VIKING BLOND, HELLO BUD, OUR ISLAND, SMOKING ACES & BALLYVESEY.

BREEDING
French bred horses have only won once in the last 101 years

Apart from Mon Mome's anomaly, French bred's are ones to avoid in this race..

HORSES ELIMINATED: NEPTUNE COLLONGES, MON MOME, LE BEAU BAI & SWING BILL.

STAMINA
Every winner since 1970 had previously won over a 3m+ distance

Comes as no surprise that a horse needs to be proven over a staying distance to win this. Changed recently so all entrants need to have finished in the first 4 in a 3m chase so it won't eliminate many this time.

HORSES ELIMINATED:- SEABASS, BECAUSEICOULDNTSEE & IN COMPLIANCE

FITNESS
Last 29 winners of race had all run in the 50 days previous.

Very hard to run well in this stamina sapping race without having at least a warm up race.

HORSES ELIMINATED: CALGARY BAY, CHICAGO GREY, WEST END ROCKER, ALWAYS RIGHT, CAPPA BLEU, TREACLE, ARBOR SUPREME, STATE OF PLAY, GILES CROSS, VIC VENTURI & ANY CURRENCY

OFFICIAL RATING
Last 11 winners were all officially rated 136+

Must have shown a decent amount of ability previously.

HORSES ELIMINATED: NEPTUNE EQUESTER, ABBEYBRANEY & SADDLERS STORM.

CHASE EXPERIENCE
Last 11 winners had all previously ran in 10 or more chases

Not surprisingly the winner can't have any weakness in his jumping and that comes from experience.

HORSES ELIMINATED: SYNCHRONISED, WEIRD AL & JUNIOR

BIG FIELD & RACE WINNER
Last 11 winners had previously won a race with 12+ runners and worth over £17k.

A horse who's won a big prize whilst in a big field has a big experience boost here.

HORSES ELIMINATED: PLANET OF SOUND, DEEP PURPLE, THE MIDNIGHT CLUB, KILLYGLEN, POSTMASTER & MIDNIGHT HAZE

FALLS
Last 11 winners had all never fallen more than once in their career

Unsurprisingly you want to be backing a horse with a good jumping record.

HORSES ELIMINATED: ALWAYS WAINING

CHECK
We are now down to the Final 4 of BALLABRIGGS, ACCORDING TO PETE, RARE BOB & SUNNYHILLBOY. It becomes a bit difficult to split these with a definitive reason.

All the last 10 winners have received at least 7lbs from the top weighted horse AND have ran 3 to 6 times since September of that season.
ELIMINATE BALLABRIGGS

British bred horses have almost as poor record French with no wins and only 6 places in the last 10 years (French 1 win, 5 places).
ELIMINATE ACCORDING TO PETE

This now leaves us with RARE BOB and Sunnyhillboy.

Back
Top Bottom