• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Alisson - The best GK, we've ever had?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karius has been the worst GK we've ever had since 1892

His memory is unfairly tainted by THAT game. Which was a complete horror story, yes. But he was concussed and it's understandable. I'm not saying that he was good enough for us - He wasn't, but, for example, though he wasn't as good as Mignolet overall, but I'll tell you what... He wasn't as bad as Mignolet was at the end - At one point, practically every shot on target against us went in with him (SM) in goals. He was pitiful at the end.

His memory is unfairly tainted by THAT game. Which was a complete horror story, yes. But he was concussed and it's understandable. I'm not saying that he was good enough for us - He wasn't, but, for example, though he wasn't as good as Mignolet overall, but I'll tell you what... He wasn't as bad as Mignolet was at the end - At one point, practically every shot on target against us went in with him (SM) in goals. He was pitiful at the end.
Why did he carry on? What about all the other occasions he F'ed up on. He looked as though he was frightened of the ball. When he went on loan, his game got worse. Now he 3rd choice at Newcastle earning a 1/4 of what he earned at LFC. I don't wish him unwell, but he was in terms if ability or lack of, the worst keeper we've ever had. Mignolet was bad but not as bad as Karius

Karius is the worst first choice keeper I can remember us having. There were plenty of second or third keepers who were worse than him.

That's probably because he should never have been first choice.

Why did he carry on? What about all the other occasions he F'ed up on. He looked as though he was frightened of the ball. When he went on loan, his game got worse. Now he 3rd choice at Newcastle earning a 1/4 of what he earned at LFC. I don't wish him unwell, but he was in terms if ability or lack of, the worst keeper we've ever had. Mignolet was bad but not as bad as Karius
I think Mignolet gets a bad rap here. He wasn't horrendous, he just wasn't top class. Klopp should never have demoted him for Karius, though.

I think Mignolet gets a bad rap here. He wasn't horrendous, he just wasn't top class. Klopp should never have demoted him for Karius, though.

Agree. He was a solid, decent keeper. No more, no less. And not good enough for a club of our aspirations but probably about good enough for where we were at the time.

The thing about Mignolet is that he became an unsure and scared goalkeeper by the end - scared of coming out from his line, often panicked during set pieces (probably a result of playing with so many poor, unpredictable defenders over the years), scared of playing the ball with his feet (remember that episode when he waited so long to make a pass that the ball rolled behind the goal line?), you just felt sorry for him constantly.

Karius wasn’t a better GK technically, but at least he had that arrogance about him, he was a bit more pro-active and brave and that’s why Klopp preferred him in our CL run. A mistake in hindsight, but what’s done is done.

Mignolet was fantastic at reaction saves. Absolutely fucking awful at 1 on 1s though. Give him time to think and be fucked it up

Karius made one or two decent saves during that run, incl.in the final before that ******* animal Ramos got at him, even if - like Mignolet - he wasn't at the level we needed.

My nomination for our worst ever would be the epoch-makingly awful Charles Itandje.

Karius made one or two decent saves during that run, incl.in the final before that ******* animal Ramos got at him, even if - like Mignolet - he wasn't at the level we needed.

My nomination for our worst ever would be the epoch-makingly awful Charles Itandje.
He was never first choice though was he? Can't really remember well, but he certainly didn't play any major games in our treble season. I think.
Didn't it go from James to Westerveld to Dudek?

He was never first choice though was he? Can't really remember well, but he certainly didn't play any major games in our treble season. I think.
Didn't it go from James to Westerveld to Dudek?

Yes, that's right.

James was ultimately replaced by Westerveld, who was replaced by Dudek and Kirkland.

Itandje came along a lot later in 2007 as back up to Reina after Dudek and Carson left. He was never intended as potential first choice and just got cup games. He was shit at those too though.

If you ever needed a reminder about how things were in the 90s, 277 games for David James is it.
Was a lot better than people give him credit for.

I never realised Bruce Grobbelaar had that many appearances.

Clem still the best we've ever had.
Karius the worst 1st choice. Never seen anything like him.
What would it take in your opinion for Ali to top him? Or is it just a case of longevity and carrying out his consistency over longer period?

I honestly don't remember the guy. I looked up his profile. It said he made 0 appearances'

I reckon if Clem and Bruce registered with SCM they'd both vote Alisson.

What would it take in your opinion for Ali to top him? Or is it just a case of longevity and carrying out his consistency over longer period?
Ali is an overall better keeper. Both their strengths are 1 v 1, quick off the line and making angles small and also both class shot stopping. Would put them on par for them but Alisson's ability on the ball is head and shoulders above clemence. Ali is like an extra outfield player at times

Last edited:
Absolutely brilliant. Apart from saves with is hands, there are so many saves with his body or thighs/legs. This shows just how brilliant his anticipation, body posture +positioning is, and why he’s the best in the world at 1 vs 1 situations. The perfect goal keeper for our style of play.
Never seen Clemence apart from highlights, but at least in my liftetime Ali is the best we’ve ever had by a country mile.

Hard to beat two keepers who won more and played almost 3 times as many games.
Grobelaar's ability was his agility, have never seen anyone as good as him for that ever.. But he made alot a mistakes especially coming for crosses. As I stated earlier, reason clemence and Alisson don't need to pull off as many of these worldie one handed saves is there amazing position ability where they have narrowed the angles as much as possible plus Ali has some of the strongest wrists of any keeper so that when he is diving and the ball is hit at pace Ali will block it or send it over the bar as when most other keepers will only deviate the ball a small bit

I am surprised no ones talking about Ali's offensive game. How many times is he involved in a counter attack? How many of his slip kicks have led to goals? He has 4-5 assists and a goal to his Liverpool career, there's very few goal keepers ever that could compete with those stats. He is in the same conversation as Buffon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom