• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Alli’s dad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad was a cunt...

So yeah him dying was a big moment...

Allisson though strikes me as a family man so this is really going to hurt.

RIP Alisson's Dad YNWA

Didn't Titi Camara play on when his dad died.. ? Was in the best form of his life during that period too.
:( sorry to hear that and ya hence the most men part.
I’ve always counted myself lucky to have had a great relationship with my father, I know it’s not the case for everyone :(

You are right he did, and scored too I believe.

Indeed. I lost mine the night before my 23rd birthday and there's not been a day since when I haven't thought of him.

Jose Becker RIP. Thoughts and prayers for the family.
I started one decent thread in my time here. It’s on that topic and in the vault. A lot of moving posts in it. Worth a read if you haven’t already.

Sorry to hear about your dad and so close to what should be a happy day.

I started one decent thread in my time here. It’s on that topic and in the vault. A lot of moving posts in it. Worth a read if you haven’t already.

Sorry to hear about your dad and so close to what should be a happy day.

Thanks mate, appreciate that. In one way I've come to be semi-grateful for the timing over the years, as it means I and others who have cause to remember my dad's anniversary also have something positive to think about at the same time.

I was 17 when my dad died, and strangely next year (when I turn 34) is a milestone I am quite apprehensive of - I will have lived half of my life without my dad. Maybe it is because it is the first real milestone to mean anything to me. I will definitely reflect a lot on what i've done between 17 and 34. When my dad died I was failing my AS levels at sixth form and it was a huge kick that made me get my act together and I always regret that he never got to see that.

Dated 2018:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/articles/alisson-becker-this-is-for-my-brother
[article]This will tell you everything you need to know about my family in one quick story.

World Cup. 1998. I’m 5 years old. My brother Muriel is 10. We’re watching the Brazil vs. Holland semifinal at my aunt’s house, and of course it’s a big party. My aunt had made all this food, and there was a big cake and everything.

The game goes to the penalties, and my father and my uncle are going crazy. They can’t take the pressure. They can’t even sit down.

When Taffarel saves the final penalty, my father runs from the living room to the kitchen screaming his head off, and then what does he do?

… He smashes his face right into the cake. And then he runs back into the living room with icing all over his face, screaming, “We’re going to the Final! We’re going to the Final!”

As a little kid, it was the funniest thing I had ever seen.

My dad was crazy, in the best way.

Twenty years later, his son is going to the World Cup. And, if I am being honest, I am probably more like him than I would like to admit! If you’ve seen me play for Brazil or Roma, you might see me as a fairly calming presence. But I haven’t always been like that. In fact, if you had sent a scout to write a report about me as a kid, I suspect it would’ve looked something like this:

Alisson Becker: goalkeeper, seven years old.

Short. Angry. Cries often.

I know that probably doesn’t sound like the goalkeeper of the Brazilian national team, but it’s true. I have come quite a long way.

Actually, when I entered my teens, I wasn’t even the best goalkeeper in my family. Muriel was also a goalie, and man, he loved to push my buttons. He knew exactly what he had to do to make me lose my temper. I think all big brothers have this talent. But in a way, he also helped me learn how to control my emotions.

He’s the most important person in my story.

It was actually because of him that I ended up playing in goal.
Some people say I was bound to be a goalie, and perhaps that’s true as well. I mean, my mother was a goalkeeper on her handball team at school. My great grandfather played goalie for an amateur football club in my hometown of Novo Hamburgo. And my father was a goalie for his company team. So maybe it was part of God’s plan for me, you know?

When I was five years old, my brother and I would go to watch my father play, and we saw how much he enjoyed it. To be honest, he was a bit crazy on the pitch, too — he’d always dive headfirst toward the striker’s feet to catch the ball. He had a really wild style. We both admired him, and his style is something we have inherited. I guess that’s how kids are, isn’t it? You see your father do something well, and you think, “I want to become like him.”

But the real reason I began in goal was my brother. I was playing with his friends, and they were all older and bigger than me. So when it came to picking teams … well, of course, the short kid had to go in goal. It wasn’t even up for discussion, you know?

But that was O.K., because I liked going in goal. Actually, I loved it.

Of course, at that point football was just about having fun — but then the 2002 World Cup in Japan and South Korea came around. My brother and I would wake up at dawn and stuff our faces with chocolate, cornflakes and sweet milk … and watch the games, of course. And when Brazil won it … I’ll never forget the feeling. It was like I had a revelation. I thought, This is what I’m gonna do. I’m gonna play for Brazil. I’m gonna go to the World Cup. And I’m gonna win it.

So I began to take football seriously. I’d guard the goal whenever we played on the streets in Novo Hamburgo. When our family moved from our apartment block and into a house, my brother and I would play 1-v-1 with a little plastic football. We would open up these doors to the living room and use them as our goal posts. Man, it was carnage! And so much fun. Maybe the best times in life.

By this stage I had started playing for the youth team at Internacional, in Porto Alegre. It’s one of the big clubs in Brazil, so I was clearly doing something right. But I did have one problem.

I was still a shorty.

You see, physically, I matured late, so all the goalkeepers at my age were taller and stronger than me. We had this maturation test that graded players from one to five. And when my teammates had reached stage five — I was still at stage two. And that’s no good for a goalkeeper, right? You gotta be tall, you gotta jump high, you gotta cover the goal.

In other words, the shorty wasn’t very good.

So I ended up being a reserve.

And then Internacional signed another goalkeeper from Palmeiras. And guess what … surprise, surprise! He was bigger and stronger than me, too. I just thought, Great, now I’m third choice. How the hell am I ever gonna play for Brazil like this?

I had serious doubts. Then came the Nike Cup — this huge competition for 14- and 15-year-olds. When my brother had played in it, he had been voted the best goalie at the tournament. He had the trophy in our house, and I used to look at it and say, “Man, I want one, too.”

But I didn’t even play. And honestly, I thought about packing it in. I knew about all of these legends, like Iker Casillas and Gianluigi Buffon, who had made their first-team debuts at 17, and I wanted to be like them. How long could I wait?

Was it ever gonna happen for me? It didn’t really look like it.

The club had this doubt about whether I would start growing, or whether I’d always be a shorty. I think God was watching over me, because they decided to wait one more year, to see if I’d begin to mature.

My technique improved rapidly. And then an amazing thing happened: I finally started to grow. In one year, I went from 170 centimeters to 187 centimeters. My maturity level shot up to four. Suddenly I had the physique and the technique. People began to take notice of me — more than I even realized. This one day when I was 16, I was at the beach with some friends near my grandparents’ home. When I checked my phone, I had five missed calls from my grandfather. I was fearing the worst, honestly.

I thought, My goodness, maybe something’s happened to my family. I called back in a panic, saying, “Grandpa, what happened?”

He said, “Kid, you gotta come back home right now.”

“Why?! Did someone get hurt? Did someone die?”

“No, no, no … You’ve been called up to play for the Brazil Under-17s.”

I … well, I didn’t really believe it. I just didn’t. My grandfather was always a joker, you know? So I still felt I should run home to check, just to make sure. Then my uncle called me … and he said the same.

“What’s up, ugly? Congratulations!”

But I still didn’t believe it. I thought they were playing a joke.

I ran for 30 minutes from the beach to my house so I could go on the computer and check the official CBF website … I pulled up the page and there it was: Alisson Becker. I really had been called up.

And it was pretty funny, looking back, because there were a few other names you might know on the roster that day.

Neymar and Coutinho.

Things went very fast after that. In 2013, at 20, I made my senior debut for Internacional, and two years later I played my first senior game for Brazil. That game changed my life. Sometimes I actually stop and think, Wow, man. I’m here. The Brazilian national team. I am going to the World Cup. This is a miracle of God.

For everything I have accomplished, I have to thank my brother.

You see, since we were playing the same position for the same club, people were always comparing us. They were like, “Is Alisson gonna be as good as Muriel?” Some said yes, some said no. I didn’t really want to compare myself to my brother … but he gave me something to aim towards. As a professional, I had to compare myself to those who were above me, you know? I always wanted to be better than him, but he’s also super competitive, so he never wanted to lose to me. So in this period at Internacional we were training hard every day — and I do mean every day — and neither of us wanted to be worse than the other. And let me tell you, that was a huge source of motivation for us. When I was tired, he’d say, “Come on bro, let’s do some more!” And I’d do it.

And when he was tired, I’d tell him, “Move it, old man! Look at me — I’m just a kid, and I’m still beating you!”

It was this way ever since we were boys, playing with a plastic ball. It’s a competition based in a lot of love.

Sometimes it’s so easy to forget how lucky I am. What I definitely won’t forget is who helped me get here. So this summer, I’m not just gonna play for Brazil … I’m gonna play for my brother, too. And honestly, every time I put on the Brazil shirt, I think about all the training we did together.

So if you’re reading this, brother, know that every save I make in Russia is yours as well. My success is your success — because we’re part of the same story. And for that, I will always be grateful.[/article]

153714017_1654359038069063_4323068570481873316_n.jpg

I remember my uncle calling me the night before my dads funeral and he told me straight - this is going to be awful. He was right.

It’s going to be tough for the big man being half way round the world, plus he seems like the emotional sort that’ll want to be around family. Difficult times but you know Klopp will be good with him.

What is the current regulation for flights to South America from Britain? Can he go but be subject to quarantine when he arrives or returns? I wouldn’t keep him here for the possibility of missing games in this disaster of a season.

Devastated Liverpool star Alisson will miss his father's funeral in Brazil after desperately searching for a way home as he admits defeat in bid to get round Covid rules with his wife pregnant
[article]Devastated Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson Becker desperately tried to find a way to fly to Brazil following the tragic death of his father but had to make the heartbreaking decision to stay in the UK, according to a source close to the star.

Jose Agostinho Becker, 57, drowned Wednesday afternoon in a lake on the family's ranch near the town of Lavras do Sul, southern Brazil.

Mr Becker's body was found at around midnight by the bank of a river by friends and employees of the property who had started a search after his concerned family had raised the alarm at around 5pm. No foul play has been suspected.

It is believed Mr Becker, a real estate broker, had travelled on his own to the family's rural holiday property, which has no mobile phone signal, while his wife Magali stayed behind at their home in Novo Hamburgo, 220 miles away.

Tragically he went to the ranch because he believed the isolated home would be safer as coronavirus sweeps southern Brazil, and after strict lockdown measures were imposed on the state of Rio Grande do Sul a week ago.

After receiving the devastating news on Wednesday night Alisson, who would speak to his dad every day, was determined to return to Brazil, according to a source at Sport Clube Internacional in Porto Alegre, the top flight club where he played before leaving for Europe.

Alission's older brother Muriel, 34, goalkeeper at Rio de Janeiro club Fluminese, arrived at his parent's home city on Thursday morning.

The source said: 'He was doing everything he could to find a way, desperately looking at flights and ways he could get around both the ban on flights from the UK and the severe Covid restrictions in the state.

'In Brazil, the family were waiting to find out when he would be arriving before deciding on whether to hold his wake in Lavras do Sul, or to bring the body back to the Novo Hamburgo

'But in the end he had to admit defeat. His wife Natalia is 28 weeks pregnant and he would have had to spend ten days in a quarantine hotel on his return.

'He promised to come in three weeks' time, when his Liverpool timetable allows, and spend five days here. But it's tearing him apart that he won't be able to be here for his dad's funeral. They were the very best of friends.'

The autopsy was completed on Thursday afternoon and the family are now bringing Jose's body to Novo Hamburgo, where his wake will be held on Friday.

A family friend told MailOnline that while it is not clear if Jose accidentally fell in the lake or entered the water to swim, he had told workers at the ranch he was going off to fish.

'His favourite thing was to go hunting and fishing. When he didn't return, employees called his family who alerted emergency services.

'After the search drew a blank a team of divers were sent for who were due to start searching the lake and rivers this morning. But his body was found washed up on a river bank at around midnight.

'Everyone is in shock. It's so sad, he'd only arrived that morning and he thought it was the best place to be safe from the virus. He was alone and with no phone signal couldn't call for help. No-one really knows what happened to him.'

Alisson's former club International are to hold a minute's silence during their last game of the Brazilian season against Fluminense later tonight.

Earlier, the club, from where both brothers emerged, tweeted their condolences.

'It is with great sadness that we received the news of Jose Agostinho Becker's death, the father of our ex-goalkeepers Alisson and Muriel,' the club said.

Alisson, 28, who has two children Matteo and Helena, joined Liverpool in 2018 from Roma and was voted FIFA Best Men's Goalkeeper in 2019.

Liverpool showed their support to Alisson on social media by posting a picture of him along with the message: 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'

Their city neighbours Everton also tweeted support, saying: 'The thoughts and prayers of everyone at Everton are with Alisson Becker and his family following the tragic news of the death of his father, Jose Becker.'[/article]

So sad. Football is irrelevant at times like this, there's alot of heeling ahead for Ali and Klopp.

Sad news all round lately, Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom