• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

alonso

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=26402.msg656081#msg656081 date=1219630799]
[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=26402.msg655614#msg655614 date=1219577837]
Fuck off rebel.
He continues to do fuck all for us. Its hardly hysteria when its the same fucking thing week in week out.
Frankly im astonished to see anyone defending him.
Hes fucking shite.
[/quote]

S'pose I'll be the yin to that yang then.

He's not "fucking shite" Oncy, however you dress it up. He's an excellent footballer, who (for whatever reasons) has fallen completely out of his way with us in the last few seasons. Whether it's a measure of the way we play, the onus we place on him to be more of a physical presence than the footballer he wants to be, the rigours of the premier league, or the less free-flowing game he's used to from Spain I'm not sure. In his defence, he gets unconsciously compared to Gerrard by far too many. He's not that player, nor is he Mascherano (although quite how somebody as limited as the Argentinian gets the praise he does on here and elsewhere is beyond me), and as a result he unfairly gets the shorter straw.

He was shit on Saturday no doubt about it, but he completely changed the game the week before. Anybody with half a capacity to understand the game can see how instrumental he can be on occassions like that, but unfortunately for us and him those cameos have been few and far between recently. It's a shame to watch him stroll aroudn the park for his national side looking completely at ease with all that's going around him, strutting like the proverbial peacock, and looking the player we bought from Sociedad all those years ago. He can play, but seemingly not for us.

I remember going to see a Celtic - Rangers game about 5 years ago; full hustle n bustle, tackles everywhere, Bobo Balde in his fucking element, anathema to any form of 'football'. In the centre of Rangers' midfield was Mikel Arteta. He didn't get a kick for the 55 minutes he was afforded on the pitch. I thought he was gonna cry he way he was being bullied everywhere. He was laughed off the pitch, and sent back to Spain within a few months. Ity's amazing what comfort zones, appreciation and most importantly confidence (or lack thereof) can do to some players. Rangers wasn't Arteta's environment, just like Liverppol's isn't Alonso's.
[/quote]

Arteta was brilliant for Rangers- he was player of the season bar Barry Ferguson that year. He was absolutely excellent. I was living in Glasgow that year and went to the game with my Father-in-law. He scored the goal in the last day of the season that gave Rangers the league when nobody else had the balls to pick up the ball and take it to the penalty spot, but he did much more than that throughout the season- he was a cocky-so-and-so who regularly provided the spark to win matches. He left Rangers because he had bigger ambitions, and because Rangers were cashing in on their best players to pay off their debts.

I accept the point you're trying to make may have merit, but your example is complete cobblers.

edit: Oh I see Brendan has already made this point. But worth making again.

"Both Lucas and Mascher are infront of him in the que"

"He was utter shite. Needs to move on, quickly."

"Hes a fucking passenger and can fuck off"

"He's not good enough for the system, the league or whatever. Once Masher comes back, he's on the bench and he'll be a good option off the bench until someone pays 15 mill."

"Fuck off with that shit, hes fucking bilge."

"I'll be happy never to see him lumbering round our midfield again."

"Rangers wasn't Arteta's environment, just like Liverppol's isn't Alonso's. "

"Just like Veron, world class player, "king' of Serie A, but just cant adapt to Premier League, so? SELL...."

If anyone wants to know why I can't be arsed putting any effort into the Football Forum, here it is.

Nobody on here seems to have a fucking CLUE.

[quote author=DHSC link=topic=26402.msg1036884#msg1036884 date=1263811067]
If anyone wants to know why I can't be arsed putting any effort into the Football Forum, here it is.

Well you sure had me fooled.
[/quote]

Not exactly a sisyphean task

[quote author=LadyRed link=topic=26402.msg1036891#msg1036891 date=1263812571]
What an embarassing thread.
[/quote]
Why is that?

It's dated all the way back to 2008 where he was mainly not playing well at all?

There's a very good reason a lot of posters wanted to see the back of him, or at least wouldn't exactly cry themselves into sleep, if he left at the time?

It's obvious we've missed him this Season but apart from a few OTT replies (which every thread on 6CM has got btw so why single out this one) I can't see why this should be more or less embarrassing than the 1,017 posts started by Brendan where he's slating youngsters like Insua, Ngog and Lucas?

[quote author=the_khl link=topic=26402.msg1036898#msg1036898 date=1263813239]
[/quote]
Why is that?

It's dated all the way back to 2008 where he was mainly not playing well at all?

There's a very good reason a lot of posters wanted to see the back of him, or at least wouldn't exactly cry themselves into sleep, if he left at the time?

It's obvious we've missed him this Season but apart from a few OTT replies (which every thread on 6CM has got btw so why single out this one) I can't see why this should be more or less embarrassing than the 1,017 posts started by Brendan where he's slating youngsters like Insua, Ngog and Lucas?
[/quote]

It's embarassing that so many posters under-valued such an important player just because he was playing below his best. We should probably sell Gerrard to based on this season too, huh?

[quote author=LadyRed link=topic=26402.msg1036909#msg1036909 date=1263814149]
[/quote]
Why is that?

[/quote]

It's embarassing that so many posters under-valued such an important player just because he was playing below his best. We should probably sell Gerrard to based on this season too, huh?
[/quote]
The Alonso vs Gerrard comparison isn't really valid is it?

One's been one of the best Liverpools players ever, the other had a great first Season here then followed by a few years of mediocrity and then another splendid one. It's not like he's been setting the world alight in Real either so far.

I'd never in a million years contemplate selling Gerrard but just as everyone else he's not flawless and this Season has probably been his worst ever - at least so far.

If anyone is really bored, try to dig up Brendan's glowing words about Dirk Kuyt ... Those were great too.

We should probably sell Gerrard to based on this season too, huh?

How many average seasons did Xabi have in before his phenomenal season last year Anita? Making that comparison is poor on so many levels.

[/quote]
Why is that?

[/quote]

Alonso is a great player

Insua, Lucas and Eggnog are all fucking shit.

There's your difference.

Plus, there's fuck all else going on at the moment, so bumping threads for a malevolent chuckle is about as good as it gets.

And note how often you (among others) have been made to look incredibly stupid in many of these bumped threads, and I....haven't

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=26402.msg1036920#msg1036920 date=1263815318]
If anyone is really bored, try to dig up Brendan's glowing words about Dirk Kuyt ... Those were great too.

How many average seasons did Xabi have in before his phenomenal season last year Anita? Making that comparison is poor on so many levels.
[/quote]

Don't go there, LeTall. It will be painful for you. As this thread has shown.

I'd love you to dig out threads were I make wild, shouty proclamations about shit players that have turned out to be great. Or vice versa.

You'll struggle, though, because we both know I'm right far, FAR more often than I'm wrong. And far, far more often than you.

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=26402.msg1036922#msg1036922 date=1263815409]
[/quote]
Why is that?

[/quote]

Alonso is a great player

There's your difference.

Plus, there's fuck all else going on at the moment, so bumping threads for a malevolent chuckle is about as good as it gets.

And note how often you (among others) have been made to look incredibly stupid in many of these bumped threads, and I....haven't
[/quote]

You make yourself look great. You really do.

Carry on.

[/quote]
Why is that?

[/quote]

Alonso is a great player

There's your difference.

[/quote]

Slow but great? Is that possible?

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=26402.msg1036920#msg1036920 date=1263815318]

[/quote]

Average? One, at a push. But even then he was no where near as bad as some on here tried to make out to support their argument. Some of us could see how important he was for us, even when he wasn't spectacular. I would have thought that was plain for everyone to see now. Apparently not though.

[quote author=Terrier link=topic=26402.msg1036910#msg1036910 date=1263814200]
There's a party over here.....

whoop whoop
[/quote]
*Graps branch firmly and throws it into oblivion*

[size=44pt]GO FETCH[/size]

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=26402.msg1036924#msg1036924 date=1263815579]

[/quote]

Don't go there, LeTall. It will be painful for you. As this thread has shown.

I'd love you to dig out threads were I make wild, shouty proclamations about shit players that have turned out to be great. Or vice versa.

You'll struggle, though, because we both know I'm right far, FAR more often than I'm wrong. And far, far more often than you.
[/quote]

Brendan,

I went there - and in other words, you admit you were wrong.

I was wrong about Le Tallec, I thought he'd make it. I thought Lucas would be a good squad player, I was wrong (or I think I am). I thought Kuyt was a good bench option, I still do. I thought Cisse would make it, I was wrong. We all make 'em. But there's a difference, I'm man enough to say, "Yup, bad call - oh well." Ever backed down on 'Yossi is shit' considering how key he was to our 2nd half run last year? Or how he's been one of our better players this term (I know I know, that's not saying much)? And to think, you wanted him off the team and I just wanted him as a bench player.

You are right on a lot of players and very quickly. I'll give you that. I just wish you'd have some more patience for our younger kids ...

[/quote]

How about you bump the_Khl's thread where he told the board about Agger months before we were even rumored to be in for him? How about the post where he said Kjaer was the hottest Danish talent since Agger, and woah - he's now wanted by everyone from the Mancs to Spurs to ... Liverpool. How about the_khl raving about Nikola Saric who wait for it ... signed for us too.

Why not bump those threads? Think of any other posters who've given us such a nice introduction to talent long before they were known to us?

[quote author=LadyRed link=topic=26402.msg1036929#msg1036929 date=1263816379]

[/quote]

Average? One, at a push. But even then he was no where near as bad as some on here tried to make out to support their argument. Some of us could see how important he was for us, even when he wasn't spectacular. I would have thought that was plain for everyone to see now. Apparently not though.[/quote]

Ok - he's your favorite player, so I know you're biased. But one? Going by the standard of his 1st and 2nd seasons, his 3rd and 4th were average at best. His 5th was phenomenal - one of the best 'seasons' I've seen put together by a Liverpool midfielder.

I didn't think we'd miss Xabi as much as we have - I thought the squad was more capable (and didn't realize we would have so little money to spend) of holding their own. I still don't think Xabi would have made much of a difference to this season - not because of his talent but because everything that could have gone wrong, has gone wrong. Injuries, late goals, shit defense. Not things he could have affected. It would have been better, but shit + better isn't 'much better' than shit! ;)

On another note, I stand by my words that I doubt Xabi will spend more than 2-3 seasons at Madrid. He's not been one of their best players there and unless the formation is changed to suit him (it won't be b/c Kaka and Ronaldo are far more integral to the 'Madrid' brand), he'll be gone.

You are right on a lot of players and very quickly. I'll give you that. I just wish you'd have some more patience for our younger kids ...

I wish I could see some that deserved it.

I have high hopes from what I hear about Ecclestone, Dalle Valle, Patches etc, but I don't ever get to see them.

As for players I have given no time to. Come one, Lucas, Insua and Eggnog aren't very good . They never will be. They're hurting our club by playing. Is it their fault? Not entirely.

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=26402.msg1036979#msg1036979 date=1263819323]

I wish I could see some that deserved it.

I have high hopes from what I hear about Ecclestone, Dalle Valle, Patches etc, but I don't ever get to see them.

As for players I have given no time to. Come one, Lucas, Insua and Eggnog aren't very good . They never will be. They're hurting our club by playing. Is it their fault? Not entirely.[/quote]

Lucas - he can be a decent 4th CM. At least until we have someone better to buy on the cheap, sign on a free, or promote from the academy

Insua - he's not ready I don't think. I was very high on him but he's out of his depth as of now. I think though he should be our back up LB, he could still make it.

Ngog - I like him. I think he can be a back up. Again, he's not ready ot be leading the line now, or being our primary back up. That's obvious but that doesn't mean he's not got what it takes to have an active role in this team in the future.

Time will tell ...

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=26402.msg1036972#msg1036972 date=1263818969]
I still don't think Xabi would have made much of a difference to this season - not because of his talent but because everything that could have gone wrong, has gone wrong. Injuries, late goals, shit defense. Not things he could have affected. It would have been better, but shit + better isn't 'much better' than shit! ;)

On another note, I stand by my words that I doubt Xabi will spend more than 2-3 seasons at Madrid. He's not been one of their best players there and unless the formation is changed to suit him (it won't be b/c Kaka and Ronaldo are far more integral to the 'Madrid' brand), he'll be gone.
[/quote]

I totally disagree, he would have made a difference. Our midfield would have been more organised and would have therefore shielded our defence better; this would have saved us from conceding some of the goals we have. In turn the confidence of the defence would be in the state it is meaning we would also be stronger when dealing with set pieces.

Alonso's distribution and ability to retain possession of the ball would have also made a major difference for our offensive play. Not that any of this matter now.

I don't know about him leaving Madrid soon, I think he's become quite an important character, he seems to be viewed as one of the 'senior' players, probably cos he's Spanish. I think they see him as a little more important than you're giving him credit for.

who knows ... it's only assumptions ... if i had an option of liverpool w/alonso or w/o, i'd say w/ in a hearbeat ... i still don't think we would have been a title contender unfortunately, but we would have been a better team.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=26402.msg1036965#msg1036965 date=1263818716]
[/quote]

How about you bump the_Khl's thread where he told the board about Agger months before we were even rumored to be in for him? How about the post where he said Kjaer was the hottest Danish talent since Agger, and woah - he's now wanted by everyone from the Mancs to Spurs to ... Liverpool. How about the_khl raving about Nikola Saric who wait for it ... signed for us too.

Why not bump those threads? Think of any other posters who've given us such a nice introduction to talent long before they were known to us?
[/quote]

Cheers mate. Much appreciated I must say.

*gigantic man-hugs LTW*

Can we add Hangeland to the list?

[quote author=the_khl link=topic=26402.msg1036996#msg1036996 date=1263820071]
[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=26402.msg1036965#msg1036965 date=1263818716]
[/quote]

[/quote]

*gigantic man-hugs LTW*

[/quote]

In Fairness, you did highlight Hangeland as a replacement for Sami well before he went to Fulham.

[quote author=ILD link=topic=26402.msg1037001#msg1037001 date=1263820232]
[quote author=the_khl link=topic=26402.msg1036996#msg1036996 date=1263820071]
[/quote]

[/quote]

*gigantic man-hugs LTW*

[/quote]

In Fairness, you did highlight Hangeland as a replacement for Sami well before he went to Fulham.
[/quote]

And what a brilliant signing he would have been ... The funny thing is I thought he would be terrible based on how average he looked in a two game CL qualifier vs Beitar Jerusalem ... Ha ha (score that one for me too please brendan :-\)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom