• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

American Sports. Is it only me who doesnt get any of them?

Lived in the US for a couple of years and loved the NFL and the baseball. Not too keen on the basketball and only enjoyed the hockey live.

For me baseball is a very much a more tactical version of 1 day cricket. I don't get much time for either at the moment because of the time difference and time in general. I always keep an eye for the results of all the Philadelphia sides though. They're doing better now than they have at anytime since I was over there!

You and ctlovesred have something in common then - he's an Eagles fan. My Saints are their bogey team though, so I tend not to raise the subject with him. ;)

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=36360.msg961440#msg961440 date=1255378130]
You and ctlovesred have something in common then - he's an Eagles fan. My Saints are their bogey team though, so I tend not to raise the subject with him. ;)
[/quote]

Its NYG and those fucking Cowboys who annoy me... ;D

[quote author=Stu link=topic=36360.msg961307#msg961307 date=1255355945]
I'm getting into NFL a lot this year. I have got Sky in the new house so I have been watching a few of the shows on there. Total Access is a brilliant show, it's the best punditry I have seen for any sport. I also like the 'America's Game' series where they highlight a superbowl winning team and makie a one hour show about them, it is brilliant TV.

The game itself used to annoy me a bit because of all the breaks but i don't seem to care as much about all that now. Sky usually go back to their own studio for most of them anyway and the guys they have in know there stuff, so it doesn't take away from the event one bit.

The sport itself, like Rosco said, is so explosive. It just can erupt at any time with a bit of magic. The hits are also great to watch. I'm not 100% with all the positions and most of the technical aspects of the game but I'm sure I will understand it more as I watch the game more.

I've been a fan of the NBA since Michael Jordan was playing. Basketball is a great spectator sport.
[/quote]

That bit is another reason why I like baseball. It's very easy to find commentators or pundits who really do add insight to what you're watching. I've listened all season long to an ESPN podcast to keep up to date with things and it's top class. The major media outlets have got it spot on with their sports over there. (I'm not keen at all on the punditry on Sky's NFL coverage)

I'm not saying good football punditry is completely absent, there is some but it's rarely seen on TV and even less in the print media. You really have to search for it.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=36360.msg961492#msg961492 date=1255383821]
[quote author=Stu link=topic=36360.msg961307#msg961307 date=1255355945]
I'm getting into NFL a lot this year. I have got Sky in the new house so I have been watching a few of the shows on there. Total Access is a brilliant show, it's the best punditry I have seen for any sport. I also like the 'America's Game' series where they highlight a superbowl winning team and makie a one hour show about them, it is brilliant TV.

The game itself used to annoy me a bit because of all the breaks but i don't seem to care as much about all that now. Sky usually go back to their own studio for most of them anyway and the guys they have in know there stuff, so it doesn't take away from the event one bit.

The sport itself, like Rosco said, is so explosive. It just can erupt at any time with a bit of magic. The hits are also great to watch. I'm not 100% with all the positions and most of the technical aspects of the game but I'm sure I will understand it more as I watch the game more.

I've been a fan of the NBA since Michael Jordan was playing. Basketball is a great spectator sport.
[/quote]

That bit is another reason why I like baseball. It's very easy to find commentators or pundits who really do add insight to what you're watching. I've listened all season long to an ESPN podcast to keep up to date with things and it's top class. The major media outlets have got it spot on with their sports over there. (I'm not keen at all on the punditry on Sky's NFL coverage)

I'm not saying good football punditry is completely absent, there is some but it's rarely seen on TV and even less in the print media. You really have to search for it.
[/quote]

Yup, I mean you have Gammons/Kurkijan/Phillips/Kruk etc on Baseball Tonight and other ESPN features providing great insights to the game, and other sports share the depth (be it Madden/Aikman/Simms/Mortenson/King on the NFL, or Cherry (and only Cherry!) on the NHL etc)

I do miss that from my days in the States - heck, the NBA has some punditry too (and great comedy from Barkley)

Hmmm, no sorry Jon, I'm a fan of quite a few 'American Sports'.

The one thing I do hate though is the faux-sentimentality that the American media tags onto every fucking sport going.

Why must every sports news bulletin, every commentators intro, every touchline reporter, every fucking comment start along the lines of... "Starting Quarter-back for the Titans today has said he's dedicating this game to his brother who's toiling away in Iraq, but only the first half of the game, the second half will go to his 4 year old son who he said, and I quote "loves to point at the screen when Daddy's on" - back up to you Chip!"

It's sport, not fucking Surprise Surprise.

Each to their own. Re boring Sports, try explaining to a group of non ‘Soccer’ fans that 90 minutes of watching 22 blokes pass a ball sideways ending in a 0-0 stalemate is exciting. They think there’s something wrong with you.
Australians are like Americans, they need scores to be 56-23 or 114-69; not 1-0 or 1-1. I’m slowly buying into it. The best games I’ve seen in the last 12 months have been Aussie Rules & Rugby League games.
As for US Sports, I don’t mind NFL although a full live game can be hard work. I can’t get overly excited about a bloke making a 1 yard gain.
I’ve been to a live baseball game and it was torturous. Cricket (which I love) is much faster (yes, it is), much more tactical. Baseball is wank and simply an excuse for 14 hot dogs and 12 cold beers.
Basketball is semi-exciting although I have no real interest in it. It just gives tall blokes something to do other than being a bouncer or a baddie in films.
Ice Hockey never watched, not interested. Its hockey on ice. Big deal.
I think there's a reason why US Sports are big on stats.

[quote author=LarryHagman link=topic=36360.msg961579#msg961579 date=1255394945]
Ice Hockey never watched, not interested. Its hockey on ice. Big deal.
[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHA

It helps if you have a team you support, in those sports as then you have a reason to watch them, and care about the outcomes. The understanding comes with time.

Some friends of mine used to come to the bar with me to watch Liverpool games, just as an excuse to go to the bar. They went out of their way to hate Football. They used to cheer for Liverpool just to razz other supporters at the bar for a laugh, and after a few games started to really get into it.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=36360.msg961464#msg961464 date=1255380526]
I reckon this could be the Saints year JJ.

Sorry in advance.
[/quote]

;D

I'm daring to hope, for once. I reckon Brees is on for a big season and, if Reggie FINALLY fulfils all that potential, you never know how far they could go.

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=36360.msg961348#msg961348 date=1255361794]
[quote author=Doped White Mouse link=topic=36360.msg961313#msg961313 date=1255356569]
[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=36360.msg961298#msg961298 date=1255355028]
[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=36360.msg961289#msg961289 date=1255354193]
[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=36360.msg961288#msg961288 date=1255354116]
I find American sport utterly boring to watch.
[/quote]

Ice Hockey is "utterly boring"?

Hello? Cricket? ;D
[/quote]

I'm sorry Whaddapie i've tried to watch numerous american games before, but i just end up falling asleep.

To me, most of them just seem like tacky/shite versions of sports that we allready have.
[/quote]

So ice hockey is the tacky/shite version of which English sport?
[/quote]

I didn't say all of them.

Ice Hockey is a crap sport though imo.
[/quote]

You have to try and play it yourself. It's great. But each to their own.

The commentary, analysis, technology and reviewing of the cricket on sky is by miles the best on any sport.
Closely followed by the cricket on radio 4.
Sky have Botham, Hussein, Atherton, Warne, Lloyd, Gower etc all who talk beautifully and honestly about the game. Their detail and intelligence is amazing. I love the third man piece. You then have wonderful technology like hotspot and ultramotion that give you a greater view of key moments. There is also an almost total lack of bias or jingoism. Brilliant. Perfect in fact.

Aggers and the boys on Radio 4 are great too, i really enjoyed Hayden and Langer over the summer, they were very honest and forthright. The only thing wrong with 4 is Boycott whos a blustering, ignorant cunt who i finally lost the head with this summer when he argued with Hayden about finger spinners. (his claim that Warne and Murali were average and that Vettori and Harbi wouldnt have been top 50 'in his day' was fucking laughable) hes a tit.

Baseball - sucks
Basketball - hmmm I prefer the Euro League Basketball
Ice Hockey - sucks

NFL - now I only recently got into this sport... I like it, but fucking takes forever to play 1 match.

[quote author=Karl Hungus link=topic=36360.msg961582#msg961582 date=1255395951]
It helps if you have a team you support, in those sports as then you have a reason to watch them, and care about the outcomes. The understanding comes with time.
[/quote]
Same with football for me. My father-in-law could quite happily sit down and watch a game between 2 teams in Chile's division 2 reserve league. I have to care who wins the game before I can take an interest.

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=36360.msg961805#msg961805 date=1255438737]
You didn't mention Holding Oncy!!

I could listen to him all day he's that good.
[/quote]You know what, i couldnt remember his name. I kept thinking Bolder. I just drew a blank. He is superb. The token Aussie (slater) is superb as well.

[/quote]

Holding is as graceful and as eloquent in the box as he was on the pitch. The mutual respect between him and Botham is endearing too.

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=36360.msg960619#msg960619 date=1255181538]

1. Who still says "gay" as an intended insult? Seriously...

[/quote]

I do.

And I agree - American sports are pretty wank. I used to like the NBA when I was a kid and got into American Footy through John Madden on the Megadrive. However, I wouldnt really bother watching them now. Ice Hockey and Baseball are just pure garbage.

[quote author=Spionkop69 link=topic=36360.msg961992#msg961992 date=1255461529]

[/quote]

Holding is as graceful and as eloquent in the box as he was on the pitch. The mutual respect between him and Botham is endearing too.
[/quote]

Yeah without a doubt.

Did any of you lot watch the ashes lunch time break series?

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=36360.msg962018#msg962018 date=1255466059]
[quote author=Spionkop69 link=topic=36360.msg961992#msg961992 date=1255461529]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah without a doubt.

Did any of you lot watch the ashes lunch time break series?

[/quote]

Nope. Working got in the way.

You shouldn't let a silly little thing like work get in the way of an Ashes summer!

They were genius mate, they went back to old ashes encounters and got the players of the time to talk about some of the things that went on. The series in OZ when Lilly and Thommo first came onto the scene together was very amusing.

Keep an eye out for it, I'm sure they'll show them again sometime soon on Sky

[quote author=Rafiagra link=topic=36360.msg962015#msg962015 date=1255464955]

[/quote]

I do.

[/quote]

Really? Why? What's insulting about it?

Baseball: shitest sport ever
NFL: dont like the sport but I watched the superbowl these last years
NBA: used to watch it a lot during Jordan years. not anymore.
NHL: I like Hockey, its very popular here and im often going to watch our local Lausanne team.
Working with a Montreal fan makes it impossible to avoid the NHL.

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=36360.msg962057#msg962057 date=1255470419]
[quote author=Rafiagra link=topic=36360.msg962015#msg962015 date=1255464955]

[/quote]

I do.

[/quote]

Really? Why? What's insulting about it?
[/quote]

I suppose the suggestion that you like cocks up your bum is meant to be insulting. Whilst if you're actually gay, its all good apparently.

Lived in US for 7 years now. Before that I was in India.

In my first year, I was like Jon. I did not get US sports, thought they were a waste of time etc. Right now:

Baseball - still cant get to like it. Prefer cricket
Ice Hockey - I find it alright. Gone to a few games.
NBA - same as above. Watch them along with my mates.
NFL - I watch the important games. Again I find it fun to watch with my mates.

College Football and College Basketball - Freaking Rules. I love the college rivalry in US. I lived in Austin for 5 years and now I am in Morgantown. I love it how the entire area transforms into a sea of burnt orange and blue and yellow during game day.
In fact, the night when Texas won the national championship in 2005 has been one of my best nights in the USA. Texas -vs Sooners, Texas vs Aggies, All the bowl games, March Madness - I really really enjoy them.

I can't get into american sports at all. I've been trying to get into NFL for a while but just find it so boring. I like the NHL, thats good, it's quite end to end and fun to watch. Never bothered with the NBA and MLB.

Wembley is getting used to its NFL Sundays. The New England Patriots' 35-7 rout of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers tonight marked the third time in as many years that the stadium has hosted a regular season NFL fixture. The sight of thousands of British fans decked out in the colours of their favourite US teams marching down Wembley Way is becoming a familiar one.

That is exactly how the league wants it, of course. If the theme of the past two visits has been introducing the British public to the idea of a live game, then the emphasis this year has been on getting people used to the thought that the NFL is here to stay. Although nothing has been confirmed, the talk is of holding two UK games in 2010. The notion of staging a Super Bowl in London has been publicly mooted by league officials. So too has the possibility of one day basing a team over here.

This new way of thinking was reflected in the pre-game festivities. As with the past two London games, the NFL laid on an American-style tailgate party before kick-off. But where last year's had a Mardi Gras theme and urged fans to support the New Orleans Saints who, like the Buccaneers this year, had given up a home game to play here, this time people were encouraged to make up their own minds. Along with the traditional live music and food, there were stands representing each of the league's 32 teams, giving fans an insight into each one's history and present roster.

Inside the stadium efforts were made to ensure Tampa Bay felt as much at home as a team from south Florida could on a chilly October night in London, with free Buccaneers flags left on every seat and giant banners stretched across the front rows of seats. But the NFL is keen for English supporters to develop more lasting attachments. Research shows people are far more likely to stick with any sport if they have a team to follow and the NFL launched a new website – nfl-360.com – last week with the specific aim of helping UK fans choose which one.

Few would have plumped for the Buccaneers on tonight's evidence. Despite their defence's success in intercepting two Tom Brady passes, there was never any suggestion that a team that had lost all six of its games this year was about to spring an upset. The Patriots were perhaps also below their best but Brady still completed more than two-thirds of his passes, throwing for 308 yards and three touchdowns to atone for the interceptions.

A capacity crowd did not seem too fazed by the game's one-sided nature and there was little evidence of a mass exodus before the end of the fourth quarter. But while there has been much discussion about the way these games are being received over here, far less attention has been paid to the response in the US. For many pundits and fans in America the initial curiosity seems to have faded. Many are now apathetic. Some are angry.

An online poll run by Fox Sports last week found that 58% of its readers felt London should host nothing more than a pre-season game. In the comments section of the accompanying article some readers protested that there had not been an option to vote for the UK to get even less than that. ESPN.com's senior writer Len Pasquarelli is just one of a number of leading commentators who has declared himself "against" the idea of hosting regular season games in the UK.

The reasons for such hostility are manifold and in great part not dissimilar to those cited by opponents of the Premier League's Game 39 proposals. But, if one common complaint does not stand up, it is the suggestion that the league's ability to sell out these games rests solely on, as Pasquarelli put it, "curiosity" among Britons. There is a core of knowledgeable American football fans in Britain that existed before 2007 and who have continued to ensure that – as a one-off at least – this game sells out.

That core may not be as large as it was during the 1980s, when Channel Four's coverage of the NFL sparked huge interest, but it is also far less transient. It also appears to be growing. According to Alistair Kirkwood, the managing director of NFL UK, Sky has seen the ratings for its NFL coverage grow by 55% compared with the same period last year while Channel Five has seen a 75% increase.

Britain's own amateur American football leagues – while still some way short of their 1980s heyday – are also thriving. The British American Football League's spokesman, Ken Walters, described the sport as "arguably the fastest-growing in Great Britain"‚ saying it had experienced a 30% increase in participation.

"The more games that we do here, the more people will see this is built on sporting credibility, rather than just razzmatazz, and we won't be seen just as a circus coming to town," said Kirkwood today. "I'm convinced we've got a bright future."

Just another NFL Sunday at Wembley? That is exactly what the league was hoping for.

Back
Top Bottom