1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

Arthur Melo

Discussion in 'The Football Forum' started by dmishra, Sep 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

2. refugee

refugee 4 * Xpert 11 Champ + only Veisercount Cup winner Member

I know nothing about him. But I'd rather loan him than panic buy someone. Possibly wasting £20-30m on someone we might be desperate to offload next year. Especially if we have someone lined up next season who is potentially a generational talent (which the club seems to think Bellingham is).

We have a shit load of Brazilians in the team, and even Taffarel in the coaching staff, so we'll know about his personality / attitude etc., so there's minimal risk there.

Obviously we should have got someone elite earlier in the window, but we can't fix that now.

Hass, momoWASboss, mark1975 and 2 others like this.
  3. Markeh

Markeh Very Well-Known Member

Feels like we’re signing a Thiago backup here when we actually need the legs of Milner, Gini and Hendo from a few years ago replacing. Be interesting to see if two players come in.

4. The Nomad

The Nomad Very Well-Known Member

Going from Luiz to Melo to me feels like going from an oven ready brexit deal.. to reality.

Fabio likes this.
  5. Frogfish

Frogfish Gone to Redcafe Member

Take a look at the video BB posted on P1 of this thread. There doesn't seem to be any issues at all regarding stamina, pace, etc. he's 7/10 or 8/10 on all those metrics (and yeah, 9/10 for passing). He seems like a backup to both Thiago and Hendo and it's nice to see we've been tracking him for a while.

doctor_mac likes this.
  6. Modo

Modo A contentious scando Member

Tells me that we either have money allocated to sign a very expensive midfielder (Bellingham) or we're skint and can't afford buying Luiz.

7. dmishra

dmishra Very Well-Known Member

Apparently, Villa are adamant they won't sell Luiz. Could just be a case of us thinking can't deal with this difficult shit on the last day of the window, let's get someone on loan.

8. Markeh

Markeh Very Well-Known Member

Stole this from Reddit, posted in November before this loan move was even a twitch in daddy Jurgans nut sack:

9. Frogfish

Can Klopp extract Arthur's talent?

Football journalist Mina Rzouki on Sky Sports News:
    "I’m not sure whether Arthur Melo is more of a body they’re bringing in right now. For a lot of us when we watched him grow at Barcelona and then move to Juventus, we were really excited for him to come.
    "You can see the potential, you can see the brilliance, but then there’s a part of you that thinks it’s never come to fruition or shown on a consistent level.
    "He’s had fights with coaches who have not been able to see eye to eye with him on a tactical level, not because he’s not professional, but he ahs something in his head that he wants to achieve.
    "He thinks ‘I want to deliver a direct ball’. But what if there isn’t the opportunity? Can you be flexible enough in your midfield to be able to say ‘right now, the team needs me to do this’. He doesn’t make those decisions very effectively, which is what really angered Andrea Pirlo, for example.
    "I’m interested to see whether we can see that potential extracted by Jurgen Klopp because we know that he’s a magician at that."

10. Fabio

Fabio Former mod, consistent c*** Honorary Member

If klopp hugs make him less shit, it just means we'll have to pay more out next year. If it's a loan, I'd rather it be a loan to buy if we fancy it.

11. Woland

Woland Part of the Furniture Member

This has got Lucas written all over it.

1) A Gremio prodigy who was a box to box midfielder
    2) Got to Europe and it turned out he could just about hold onto the ball in the middle of the park, and has been completely underwhelming.
    3) That's about it

SaRed, Hass, jan and 6 others like this.
  12. Holle

Holle Chainsmoker Member

Meh-lo

SaRed, Shay_K, rurikbird and 5 others like this.
  13. Fabio

Fabio Former mod, consistent c*** Honorary Member

He's worse than Lucas as he's injury prone.

We're getting a shitter lucas

peekay and Woland like this.
  14. RedStar

RedStar Very Well-Known Member

By comparison Adrian has been a pro for 17 years and not once in that time has anybody ever been willing to pay a transfer fee for him.  So maybe they are onto something

Markeh likes this.
  15. Frogfish

Vickery

He goes onto say that Arthur is much more of a Guardiola midfielder than a Klopp one, and he’ll be glad to know I agree. But I guess the plan is that he’ll only be at Anfield a year and will cover Thiago, also more Guardiola than Klopp – though if we cast our minds back a few seasons, to him dominating Spurs when Barcelona visited Wembley, we can remember that there’s a serious player in there, and there’s no one better at unlocking talent than Klopp. Vickery also makes the interesting point that Brazilian midfielders tend to find it harder to excel in Europe than Brazilian defenders and attackers – and by the sound of things, we’ll get to see how he does, because that deal is, apparently, likely to go through.

mark1975 likes this.
  16. mark1975

mark1975 Moderator Moderator

In fairness, Elliott seems to have the legs of those three, again last night he was the only one who was hassling players and repeatedly tracking back to win the ball, which he did quite often, despite his perceived lack of physical presence. Jones hasn't been great, but we can now count him back in, so things aren't too bad once we get Thiago back.

SaRed and Markeh like this.
  17. LeTallecWiz

LeTallecWiz Administrator Administrator

I think it's an important signing - we need another midfielder and Arthur can be a good rotational player.
    I worry about his physical prowess, but he's a good passer of the ball and will give us another option when the sick notes need time off.

18. mark1975

mark1975 Moderator Moderator

What will be will be, we'll see how he does. For all the worries about replacing the legs in midfield and bringing back our pressing game, we've lacked a sharp passing midfielder for ages, thanks in no small part to Thiago and Keita's injuries. We need both styles of midfielder, so one is better than none.

Red rose and moron like this.
  19. FreshRed

FreshRed Well-Known Member

The optimistic side says this makes sense. A simple loan to fill a needed gap until we get the “right” player(s). If Luiz, or others, are not the players we actually want, we don’t want to them on a 4-5 year contract.

I worry about him adjusting to the pace of the PL, but he can definitely provide depth for the CL (maybe some starts) before the world cup and the next transfer window.

Seems a smart and practical solution.

20. dmishra

dmishra Very Well-Known Member

The flight trackers have been at it:

Red rose likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.