• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ashes 2023

There were a few suggestions yesterday evening that this pitch might get up to mischief. So long as there is time with at least one day rained off (they say) England in pole position. The most one-sided day to the Ashes series thus far.

I think both championship games have been drawn at OT this season (on this wicket), so not sure I'm reading to much into the couple of grubbers we saw yesterday, but here's hoping!

If weather permits, I'm expecting England to smash it this morning (or declare if it rains), then they need to hope they can get 3 sessions at the Aussies

I think both championship games have been drawn at OT this season, so not sure I'm reading to much into the couple of grubbers we saw yesterday, but here's hoping!

If weather permits, I'm expecting England to smash it this morning (or declare if it rains), then they need to hope they can get 3 sessions at the Aussies
There's definitely some cracks opening up on the pitch according to those who have a good view of it. If England can manage 120 or so in the first session then I wonder if they might declare then?

Shit, it is raining in Manchester.

09e58879-7277-4234-a644-ce15ac51eb19.jpg

23 overs in 2hrs?
Predictable slow bowling rate from Aus

Entirely predictable.

Well, will they declare at lunch, or drag them out for half an hour after lunch just to unsettle them? I would be tempted to do the latter.....

I'm not fussed either way tbh, it's just a great position to be in!

It's all set up for Jimmy to knock over a few Aussie wickets early!

England brilliant. Can't blame the Aussies for stemming the flow. If England lose this series, bizarre, I don't know what's to blame because they're the better team by far. Poor decisions in test 1?
The weather might kill us this weekend but it would be ace to go into next week with a 2-2.

England brilliant. Can't blame the Aussies for stemming the flow. If England lose this series, bizarre, I don't know what's to blame because they're the better team by far. Poor decisions in test 1?
The weather might kill us this weekend but it would be ace to go into next week with a 2-2.
What is to blame is the bizarre decision not to declare once Bairstow got his 50.

I'm guessing Stokes was nervous due to the first test.

Oh and the poor sportsmanship of Carey and Cummings in the 2nd test.

Yeah, it would. Maybe the first day of first test was the stand out questionable moment, but maybe also having a 4th test in Manchester and not expect rain ? :)

Anyway, really hope it’s not the end of Baz Ball approach.
Like to see them go to India and Aus with same mentality next time out. It has it’s obvious flaws but like Klopps rock and roll football, it brings a unique joy to 5 day test cricket.

Last edited:
Tremendous player, well good enough with the bat to be called an all-rounder IMO despite the fact that many commentators seem to insist on calling him a bowler only. Have followed his England career with particular interest as he got his first cap about a fortnight before I put in my notice of retirement at work in 2007.

Tremendous player, well good enough with the bat to be called an all-rounder IMO despite the fact that many commentators seem to insist on calling him a bowler only. Have followed his England career with particular interest as he got his first cap about a fortnight before I put in my notice of retirement at work in 2007.
He had the potential to be an all rounder. However, it was soon apparent he was scared of the short ball himself. So I think the description of medium fast bowler only is accurate.

He's been a great player and I've loved watching him play.

Earlier on in his career I thought he had the chance to be classed as a 'bowling all-rounder', but after he got hit on the head (can't recall who did it), that changed.

I've backed him to take a 5 wicket haul today

Well, there are a fair few bona fide batsmen [buggered if I'm calling them "batters" - batter is what you get on a fish supper] who aren't fans of the short ball either, but I see the argument.

Earlier on in his career I thought he had the chance to be classed as a 'bowling all-rounder', but after he got hit on the head (can't recall who did it), that changed.

That’s a good shout…he’s going to want to bow out in a blaze of glory!

Was in India.
Before that his average was 30s I think, after around 14.

If anything, that was a better series than 2005, in that every game (ironically, apart from the draw) was ridiculously close, with barely any cases of one team dominating consecutive sessions. Lovely farewell for Broad, and swan song for Ali.

Back
Top Bottom