• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Back in the Day... Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

The Prophet
Alright I've got an idea for a thread series over summer (because it's shite and full of boring transfer bollox) whereby we look back on great LFC games that may have sparked some controversy. The point being that we - with the benefit of hindsight - should be able to show a bit more objectivity than at the time.

First up, is the 2nd leg of the Champions League 1/4 final in 2008 at home to Arsenal.

(Apologies for the poor-ish video here btw.)

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhdC1r4SBsI

Aside from reliving the game, was Babel's 'dive' a penalty?

At the time I thought no, and I still think no. You?

I remember being at the game and screaming for someone to wipe out Walcott when he made that crazy run from which Adebeyor scored. I mean take a yellow for the team FFS. P.s That gay celebration made my day at the end, cunts.

Stonewall pen for me Ryan

Enjoyed watching that. That was so stonewall a penalty, it would have been given if Suarez was the man fouled.

I remember being at the game and screaming for someone to wipe out Walcott when he made that crazy run from which Adebeyor scored. I mean take a yellow for the team FFS. P.s That gay celebration made my day at the end, cunts.

Stonewall pen for me Ryan

Such a memorable game that one:

Reina getting beat at the near post - how we were to get used to that
Walcott's run
Torres at his absolute peak pulling a goal out of his arse
Adebayor's fucking dance
Sami's bullet header

Back in the day when we were a side.

Babel's best game for us I always thought was when we beat Bolton away (3-1 I think it was). I don't ever remember games but it was one of the few away games I've been to and so it stuck. He was great that day - power, pace, skill and a goal I think.

Shame it didn't work out. Weirdly none of the attacking talent in that Dutch U-21 side everyone was salivating over really made it.

Great idea for a thread Ryan.

That game was nerve wrecking as hell.
After Walcotts run I thought we were out.

I still think it was a pen, but remember all my Arsenal mates saying he dived.
Torres was a monster in that game.

That video has made me quite like Kolo Toure.

It looked a clear penalty to me. If it was a dive, it was a very good one.

Wondered what Ryan Babel is up to these days? Well, he's off to Turkey, having agreed a three-year deal with Kasimpasa.

I was at this game (courtesy of Sunny :))

That Walcott run was quite crushing at the time. I seem to remember that Aurelio tried to take him out?

I have a picture somewhere from before the game of a sprinkler watering up the exact spot in the box that Babel was felled - i'll dig it up!

Definite peno. Defenders at the top level know exactly how to stumble into the back of an opposition player accidentally/on purpose. I just hope Toure's a bit better at disguising it if he does it for us. ;)

I think the bigger question is whether Kuyt on Hleb the week before was also a pen.

I trot this story out as a reason not to leave Anfield, coz I was at both games and didn't even know that the one at Arsenal had happened until I got back to the hotel and everyone was talking about it on Sky - there was no loud appeal, no one in the ground at our end had seen it properly and it was no big deal. There's no loud anything at that lifeless bowl. Whereas at Anfield when Babel went over it was as loud as when Garcia scored against Chelsea, it was ridiculous and definitely the loudest appeal for a penalty I've ever heard. The ref had no choice.

Viva Anfield!

I was at this game (courtesy of Sunny :))

That Walcott run was quite crushing at the time. I seem to remember that Aurelio tried to take him out?

I have a picture somewhere from before the game of a sprinkler watering up the exact spot in the box that Babel was felled - i'll dig it up!
Might have been Masher ?

I certainly remember his wee legs doing their best to keep up with him.

Aaah... memories...!

Here is said photo - taken before the game! (classic OOTer :p)

197_10875084242_9756_n.jpg

Didi wouldn't have let it happen - he'd have hauled him down at the start of the run and taken one for the team. Momo would've just severed his legs at the halfway line.

Mono would have done that then got to the Arsenal box or thereabouts and for some strange reason flicked the ball up in the air like he did against man Utd.to this day I still have no idea wtf he was trying to do there

I read somewhere that he started his career as an attacking midfielder. Then again, Carra was a striker in youth football.

I couldn't help liking Momo. In a couple of games (beating Barca at the Nou Camp, and the 2006 Cup Final) he was absolutely superb.

I read somewhere that he started his career as an attacking midfielder. Then again, Carra was a striker in youth football.

I couldn't help liking Momo. In a couple of games (beating Barca at the Nou Camp, and the 2006 Cup Final) he was absolutely superb.

...and the 2006 Charity/Community Shield.

Remember him playing against the Chavs in the charity shield and he was amazing. Gave Ballack, Lampard Makallele not an inch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom