• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Banning Modo

gkmacca

6CM Addict
For what? About ten hours? After the most miserable two years or more of endless trolling? Really - what the hell is the point? You've just made your own mods look like powerless idiots. And Modo will start again after his - sigh - 'period away'. Brilliant - a great precedent has been set.

The decision to ban him was taken by one mod. Another did the actual banning whilst not agreeing with it entirely.

The rest of us said it was too harsh & laid out our reasons why.

I get that you don't agree with it being overturned, & I get it doesn't look good.

The only way to avoid issues like this would be to lay down a load of ground rules & enforce them to the letter all the times though, & SCM doesn't & wouldn't work like that. By the very nature of our site we let a lot go, but try to have a few more rules than some of the sites around (TLW sad just ridiculous when I checked it out a couple of years back) at the same time.

It's a tightrope, sometimes we'll disagree, sometimes we'll make unpopular decisions, but I like to think that most of the time we get the balance right.

Modo is the least of our problem given that he is monotonous in being anti Henderson. Attacking each other in this forum is the toxic we can do without.

Modo is the least of our problem given that he is monotonous in being anti Henderson. Attacking each other in this forum is the toxic we can do without.

So you ban him for a proper length of time. What's a month so terrible? What do you actually have to do to merit that, when this odious creep has been behaving like he's been behaving for about two years? You ban someone for a few hours and, although he's treated people like shit for months, oh, he's suddenly contrite? Really?

So you ban him for a proper length of time. What's a month so terrible? What do you actually have to do to merit that, when this odious creep has been behaving like he's been behaving for about two years? You ban someone for a few hours and, although he's treated people like shit for months, oh, he's suddenly contrite? Really?

RkHH8gKPp0sunq1dRb

DJjIUZbWsAEHu79

Last edited:
The ban wasn't a punishment though. We didn't say "We'll ban him for a few hours that'll show him".

As I've already said, one mod decided he needed to be banned, we then all made our opinions known & it became clear the majority didn't, so we reversed that decision.

Not pretty, not remotely professional, bit effective or efficient. SCM isn't any of those things though & never will be.

Farkwhatever suggests, with typical cynicism, that I was trying to get Modo banned. I take it he chose the image for that, rather than being semiotically illiterate. Clearly I didn't. I was pointing out that, seeing as Modo had already been banned, the unseemly haste to unban him was unnecessary and damaging. You need to respect your own mods, who do this stuff out of the goodness of their hearts, and no amount of excuses is going to obscure the fact that several of them have been left looking ridiculous and, frankly, helpless. Now, whenever Modo decides, after a few meek weeks, to revert to type, and you'd have to be a naive idiot not to expect him to do just that, what fear will he have of those mods? Zero. He won't have the slightest care about the threat of banning, and neither will any one else. If you'd waited a week or so before this kind of pathetic climb down, you might have got away with it, but to back down inside a day - that really is pathetic. You've created a wild west of a forum. Good luck with that. Modo has been a disgrace on here for ages, and now he's been handed a licence to carry on regardless.

This place should just be renamed Helmand Province and let's finish with it.

I've missed everything here. What happened?
Modo was banned for the afternoon for being a boring fucker and bringing his tired old argument time and again. Some people aren't happy that he wasn't banned for longer because the rule of law will break down and before you know it Modo is going to bring his six shooter into town and blow holes in the saloon doors.

Who was it who said the definition of "insanity" is to keep doing the same thing and expect it to have a different outcome? Modo's been banned more than once before (for the same manically repetitive idiocy), has been allowed back the same number of times before, and has ALWAYS reverted to type sooner or later. Allowing him back now gives him a free pass. And please nobody say "Put him on 'ignore' then" because that makes a nonsense of threads in which others reply to his posts.

I don't think banning Modo is necessary.
He pissed off a few people - I understand.
However, he can be blocked by everyone (Mods included) who don't want to read his shit.
I've done this with one poster and it helped me before unblocking him.
You don't like what someone writes? Block him.
You don't like what someone writes because it's racist etc? We block him..
I get why it seems like we were faffing around - but we aren't.
We talked it out and thought this was the best course of action.
The site is actually in a great place - let's continue.

Scm: a wild west of a forum. Yes, that's about right.

That justice wasn't smoothly administered by volunteers about some annoying poster doesn't really seem worthy of outrage. You take the whole thing very seriously.

Who was it who said the definition of "insanity" is to keep doing the same thing and expect it to have a different outcome? Modo's been banned more than once before (for the same manically repetitive idiocy), has been allowed back the same number of times before, and has ALWAYS reverted to type sooner or later. Allowing him back now gives him a free pass. And please nobody say "Put him on 'ignore' then" because that makes a nonsense of threads in which others reply to his posts.
It was always the same posters who were rising to his bait.

Although, I don't know why modo brings up the same issues again and again. He's like a mad dog with an everlasting bone.

Macca is right. He did the Modo MK2 bullshit a while back, where he stepped into threads about his pet hates and made comments like "leaves room" blah blah, so it was pointless, because he basically made a point of saying that he wanted to say something, but couldn't, so what was the fucking point?

I really don't give that much of a shit about posters, but he's just a fucking bore and a blatant troll. It's not about freedom of speech when you offer nothing but the desire to goad. I'm sure he's a sound lad, but he's got serious issues as a poster

And what prompts that toxicity? Idiots goading others and trying to create an online fight.

It's all Henderson's fault. Never have I been happier to see a twelfth minute substitution in my life.

Oh man! Modo banned? Fucking hell there are some precious douches on here. Sure he stood me up in Stockholm one time but I can forgive him that. His Hendo agenda aside he always comes across as pretty sound. At least he speaks his mind and doesn't hide behind certain other notorious (previously banned) posters.

Oh man! Modo banned? Fucking hell there are some precious douches on here. Sure he stood me up in Stockholm one time but I can forgive him that. His Hendo agenda aside he always comes across as pretty sound. At least he speaks his mind and doesn't hide behind certain other notorious (previously banned) posters.

Some of us can't though man. Some of us can't.

Some of us can't though man. Some of us can't.
I sense I'm being taken the piss out of - Thanks, Thanks and Thanks again. For the record Scott Bakula is nowhere near as fucking awesome as Orson Welles was. Still if that's the level you aim to be - Good luck to you :)

I sense I'm being taken the piss out of - Thanks, Thanks and Thanks again. For the record Scott Bakula is nowhere near as fucking awesome as Orson Welles was. Still if that's the level you aim to be - Good luck to you :)

Not at all, I was trying to make the joke that the real reason everyone is pissed off with Modo is because he stood you up. I clearly did not succeed.

Back
Top Bottom